PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Purify cited for drunk driving

Saulbadguy
06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Don't know if this is a repost. Don't really care. I wonder what his "punishment" will be?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2398642

LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify was cited early Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Deb Collins, public information coordinator for the Nebraska State Patrol, said Purify was stopped near North 1st Street and Cornhusker Highway in Lincoln. According to Collins, Purify was pulled over around 12:25 a.m. for speeding and failure to signal a turn.

No blood-alcohol level was released for Purify, 21, from Eureka, Calif.

Five weeks ago, Purify was involved in an incident at a Lincoln bar that led to charges of assault, failure to comply, resisting arrest and trespassing. Purify was believed to be headed for a pre-trial diversion program for that legal matter, and wasn't required to be in Lancaster County Court on Thursday for his scheduled arraignment.

It is not immediately known if the DUI charge would violate that agreement.

Purify is an All-Big 12 candidate who ranked as the Huskers' second-leading receiver last season, catching 34 passes for 630 yards and seven touchdowns. His last-second 9-yard TD catch on a Zac Taylor pass at Texas A&M gave NU a 28-27 lead.

66BUFF
06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Don't know if this is a repost. Don't really care. I wonder what his "punishment" will be?

slash must be taking recruiting tips from dr tom :lol:

JJBuff
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, it appears that the young man has made some very poor decisions. The first being going to kNu in the first place.

absinthe
06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
frequently a move like this occurring during a probationary period will void the pre-trial diversion and re-intate the charges, I doubt that will happen in husker land.

$10 say he gets of lighter than Paris.

DBT
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM
He must have left his NU Football Player Get Out of Jail Free card at home. :lol:

Seriously, though, this is too bad for the kid. He needs to get his **** together. He's got a great opportunity and is quickly throwing it away.

drew6236
06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry, if he's not kicked off the team after this, I'll be SHOCKED and will lose what little respect I had left for Callahan.

Boot his ass Cally!

SuperiorBuff
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry, if he's not kicked off the team after this, I'll be SHOCKED and will lose what little respect I had left for Callahan.

Boot his ass Cally!

I wouldn't shock me at all. Appalled yes but not shocked.

Unleash Hell
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Kid needs to stop making bad decisions, could be a great NFL player someday, these choices are not gonna get him there.

If I were Cally I would seriously look into some major suspension or even kick off the team.

Big Red Cop
06-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Has been suspended indefinitely, and should be kicked off the team.IMO!

chipwich
06-08-2007, 01:59 PM
What a dumbass.

DustyRhodes
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
This is one of those deals where it appears on the surface, and I'm just speculating here, but it appears Mo has some sort of an alcohol dependency. It is at this point that I start to worry about the kid as a person and not as a football player. It's really hard to be on the side of keeping him on the team, but I can't help but wonder right now if that is th ebest thing for Mo. I mean what is this kid's life going to be without the structure of football, and I really don't think he can pay his own way to finish and get his degree.

This is just really a difficult situation to be in if you're Callahan. I'm glad I'm not him right now.

~Dusty

sackman
06-08-2007, 02:58 PM
This is one of those deals where it appears on the surface, and I'm just speculating here, but it appears Mo has some sort of an alcohol dependency. It is at this point that I start to worry about the kid as a person and not as a football player. It's really hard to be on the side of keeping him on the team, but I can't help but wonder right now if that is th ebest thing for Mo. I mean what is this kid's life going to be without the structure of football, and I really don't think he can pay his own way to finish and get his degree.

This is just really a difficult situation to be in if you're Callahan. I'm glad I'm not him right now.

~Dusty

Sorry, but I gotta call bull**** on this one. Keeping him on the team because to cut him loose would cause unrelenting and irreversable damage to his psyche is the biggest copout I can think of. The sooner he figures out that there are consequences for his actions, the better off he'll be in the long run. I would argue that kicking him off the team would be the best thing for him. I don't think Cally's decision is all that difficult when you look at it from that point of view. Kick him off the team, let him stay on scholarship (kind of like what our B-Ball coach did with a few players recently), and refer him to the school's mental health professionals.

Waylon Van Smack
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry, but I gotta call bull**** on this one. Keeping him on the team because to cut him loose would cause unrelenting and irreversable damage to his psyche is the biggest copout I can think of. The sooner he figures out that there are consequences for his actions, the better off he'll be in the long run. I would argue that kicking him off the team would be the best thing for him. I don't think Cally's decision is all that difficult when you look at it from that point of view. Kick him off the team, let him stay on scholarship (kind of like what our B-Ball coach did with a few players recently), and refer him to the school's mental health professionals.

I might be wrong, but me thinks ol' Dusty might be baiting you with the TO reason to keep Larry Phillips..... just a hunch.:cool:

Waylon Van Smack
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Has been suspended indefinitely, and should be kicked off the team.IMO!:nod:

Buffarino
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM

I don't know if Dusty was jerking your chain or not, but I agree. He'll be much better off later in life if he learns this the hard way.

Good judgment is often learned through experiences and bad judgment.

FlatironsBuff
06-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Boot his ass Cally!

I gave you first time posting rep, and decided not to give you negative rep due to have a even smidgen of respect for Cally. But will neg rep your ass so fast your head will spin the next time you ever utter 'respect' and 'Cally' in the same sentance. Now go get me a beer!!:smile2: :lol:

SuperiorBuff
06-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I gave you first time posting rep, and decided not to give you negative rep due to have a even smidgen of respect for Cally. But will neg rep your ass so fast your head will spin the next time you ever utter 'respect' and 'Cally' in the same sentance. Now go get me a beer!!:smile2: :lol:

Rep delivered for the clarification for a newbie FIB.:thumbsup:

ladyblaise
06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
let me guess... this is another example of the overzealous police in lincoln, right? they are just out to ruin the team. :lol:

unbiasedtruth
06-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Has been suspended indefinitely, and should be kicked off the team.IMO!

WTF, he was still on the team after his vicious premeditated attack on a bouncer and then turning on the girlfriend of the bouncer. If hillbilly throatslash has any integrity or brains he would have been booted and his scholarship pulled after this incident.

my bet is that the ****ing jerkwad hillbilly throatslash has him suited and starting the 1st game this fall....

hmmm I wonder if Paris Hilton has an open bunk in her cell......:lol:

JJBuff
06-08-2007, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=unbiasedtruth;182673]If hillbilly throatslash has any integrity or brainsQUOTE]

I think we all know the answer to that one.

SuperiorBuff
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
WTF, he was still on the team after his vicious premeditated attack on a bouncer and then turning on the girlfriend of the bouncer. If hillbilly throatslash has any integrity or brains he would have been booted and his scholarship pulled after this incident.

my bet is that the ****ing jerkwad hillbilly throatslash has him suited and starting the 1st game this fall....

hmmm I wonder if Paris Hilton has an open bunk in her cell......:lol:

I might take you up on that. I bet he is suspended for the first game to give the impression that they took the incidents "seriously" and then he plays the remainder of the season.

LincolnBuff
06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
frequently a move like this occurring during a probationary period will void the pre-trial diversion and re-intate the charges, I doubt that will happen in husker land.

$10 say he gets of lighter than Paris.

Doesn't NU have a team Bail Bondsmen?:lol:

unbiasedtruth
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Doesn't NU have a team Bail Bondsmen?:lol:

nope thats the texas longhorns..... in fact he is a member of mack brown's staff and is seen on the texas sidelines during games.....
:thumbsup:

BIGREDIOWAN
06-09-2007, 10:34 AM
IMO he should be thrown off the team because he is just going to infest the rest of the team with his bull****! I don't care how good he is because he has to go!:sad2:

absinthe
06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
IMO he should be thrown off the team because he is just going to infest the rest of the team with his bull****! I don't care how good he is because he has to go!:sad2:

I don't think he is going anywhere probably will be suspended for a couple of games, lets not forget big Tom Callahan coached the raiders a little DUI is nothing after the **** Sebastian Janikowski used to pull.

BIGREDIOWAN
06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't think he is going anywhere probably will be suspended for a couple of games, lets not forget big Tom Callahan coached the raiders a little DUI is nothing after the **** Sebastian Janikowski used to pull.

I think that would be total bull**** if that was to happen. Only suspending him for a few games would be ****ing retarded! He obviously can't stay away from the alcohol and to get into trouble twice in 5 weeks just goes to show you that he obviously doesn't give a ****. :sad2:

Blackshirts
06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Stick a fork in him he's done!

The Monk
06-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Worst he runs over a few Nebraskans, no big.

Skidmark
06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
What's next for Purify? Charges for staging dog fights?

ladyblaise
06-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Worst he runs over a few Nebraskans, no big.

only if they are kids...

Buffman
06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
only if they are kids...

big nubs come from little nubs

Waylon Van Smack
07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
plea bargained yesterday. I would expect a 2-3 game suspension IMO.

NU Football: Purify gets probation
BY RICH KAIPUST
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Maurice Purify said he hoped to "be afforded a second chance to do what I love to do" after the Nebraska football player reached resolution on his legal matters Wednesday.

Maurice PurifyPurify received 12 months' probation and fines totaling $1,250 after pleading no contest to four charges stemming from two separate incidents. Two other charges were dismissed as part of a plea agreement reached before his Lancaster County Court appearance.

Lincoln attorney Jon Braaten said he was satisfied with the outcome and called the punishments appropriate for Purify. The senior receiver said he fully expects that it will result in him missing some football games next season.

"It will," Purify said in a brief interview outside the courtroom. "But I don't know how long."

According to NU media relations director Keith Mann, head coach Bill Callahan had no immediate comment Wednesday but indicated he would address the Purify situation in the next few days. The Huskers begin preseason practice Aug. 6 and open the season Sept. 1 against Nevada.

Callahan suspended Purify indefinitely after his June 8 arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence. According to the Nebraska State Patrol, Purify's blood-alcohol level was .138 after he was stopped for driving 49 mph in a 40 mph zone and failing to signal a turn near Interstate 180 and Cornhusker Highway.

With a no contest plea to that charge, Purify forfeited any right to a trial and was fined $400 in addition to probation. He also was ordered into outpatient drug and alcohol treatment. His license wasn't suspended or revoked, but he will have an "ignition interlock" attached to his vehicle for 60 days.

That incident followed his May 5 arrest after a fight at a Lincoln bar, which included two charges of assault and one each of trespassing, refusal to comply with the order of police and hinder/delay of arrest.

Purify pled no contest to one assault charge (against a male) and had the other dropped (against a female), as well as the refusal to comply. The trespassing was amended to disturbing the peace, and Purify pled no contest to both that charge and the hinder/delay.

Asked about the incidents, Purify said, "That's just not my style." Braaten also pointed to Purify's lack of any previous legal problems.

"Those were two instances completely out of character," Braaten said. "He'll take steps to make sure they won't happen again."

NU receivers coach Ted Gilmore stood with Purify after his appearance. In lieu of further comment, Braaten released a four-paragraph statement from Purify.

"I apologize to my family, my friends, my teammates and to those who support Husker football," Purify said. "I especially want to express my apologies to Coach Callahan and the coaching staff because I know I let them down. I am extremely disappointed in myself.

"I am responsible for my actions. The choices I made that led to these circumstances were out of character for me. In each instance, I was under the influence of alcohol. I do not use that as an excuse, but I want to be honest. I am currently addressing this issue with professional help and guidance."

Purify was NU's second-leading receiver last season, with 34 catches for 630 yards and seven touchdowns. Several preseason magazines - printed before his arrests - listed the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder as an All-Big 12 candidate.

"I do not know if I will be fortunate enough to play another game at Nebraska," Purify said in his statement. "I hope that I can be afforded a second chance to do what I love to do - play football for Nebraska. If Coach Callahan decides that I will not be able to play again, I respect his decision and am grateful for the opportunity that he has given me."

SuperiorBuff
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
The conference DAs should refuse to let him in town due to his probation.

Junction
07-19-2007, 01:26 PM
"I do not know if I will be fortunate enough to play another game at Nebraska," Purify said in his statement.

:yeahright::lol::lol::lol:

Unleash Hell
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
He'll be back for the USC game, watch

Buffarino
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Something tells me Cally will follow in the good Dr's footsteps and let the kid play with just a slap on the wrist (maybe he'll sit the first half of the season opener) because he came from a tough upbringing and needs the structure of football in his life.

96 Buff
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
He'll sit all of Ball St., unless they're behind at halftime.

jjbuffs13
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
They will make him sit out a quarter of the first game and then cally will say thats good enough and that he has served what is a "fair" punishment....bull****!

92Buff
07-19-2007, 05:24 PM
He'll sit all of Ball St., unless they're behind at halftime.

I agree - he'll be in the moment they fall behind against anyone in the non-conference schedule.

Anyone else finding themselves as a Wake Forest fan right about now? Really strange phenomenon...

Big Red Cop
07-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm already calling it.....the first 2 1/2 games of the season. Mo will miss both Nevada, Wake Forest, and then the first half against USC. I think it should be for the whole non-conference schedule, but who knows??

absinthe
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I bet he gets nothing cally coached the raiders for gods sake

4DemBuffs
07-19-2007, 08:12 PM
this is my take.

he gets a parade through downtown lincoln (both blocks and they will move the cows for the day) for being able to overcome his "obsticles." the mayor will offer up his wife for some "company" for the night in his honor.

all games will be dedicated to him by his coaches. each coach will offer up thier wifes for some "company" for the night in his honor. especially Watsons. she is tired of booger kisses.

each away game will be promoted as the "Maurice, we love you! Get Better National Tour."

each kneebraska/lincoln police officer in attendance at any kNU game during MP's career will wear a "we ****ed up" T-Shirt.

July 19 will be proclaimed MP day in kneebraska. the gov will offer up his wife annualy to give company to MP along with the legistature.

he will still have to complete 5th grade math.

that will be his punishment. :cool:

CSU Husker
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Anyone else finding themselves as a Wake Forest fan right about now? Really strange phenomenon...

Anyone who knows CU fans knows that isnt a strange phenomenon at all :wow:

SJBuff
07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
One thing is for sure, we know the fuskers won't have to worry about getting altitude sickness from the "high road" they will take on this matter. More likely they are gonna need spelunking gear! :lol:

92Buff
07-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Anyone who knows CU fans knows that isnt a strange phenomenon at all :wow:

When it comes to kNU, you called me right. However, I do root for the CSEwe outside of the CU game (and when BVP is not your QB). Spent way too many drunk weekends on my buddies' couches in Fort Fun during college to not have a soft spot for them.

NMBuff
07-20-2007, 07:48 PM
http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=693239

A one game suspension. Oh no, he won't be in the game against the mighty Nevada!

Bull****.

Buffarino
07-20-2007, 08:22 PM
That's only 1/2 game more than I predicted. The holers consistently do nothing with their law breakers. Big shocker.

Big Red Cop
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Should have been four!!

FlatironsBuff
07-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Should have been four!!

It was. Four quarters, that is.:huh: