What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

’09 CO DE Nick Kasa

AlferdJasper

Rivals
Scout
ESPN
CUBuffs profile

746762.jpg
727528.jpg
regis_jesuit_legacy_boys_football_image.jpg

20090818__19cdsss4w_500.jpg

Nick Kasa
Ht: 6-7 Wt: 235
Position: DE
Year: Class of 2009
High School: Legacy HS
(Broomfield, CO)

Rivals rating: four stars, position rank #3 DE, Colorado #1
Scout rating: five stars, position rank #4
ESPN rating: four stars, national rank #17
Scout evaluation:
Nick Kasa is a real terror coming off of the edge. He has a huge frame at 6-foot-7, but is fast enough and stays low enough to give most offensive tackles problems when he rushes the passer off of the edge. He is solid in a lot of areas, but his best quality is his quickness off of the ball.
ESPN Evaluation:
Though built more like a tight end than a defensive end, Kasa still is a good lineman prospect. He has a very tall, lean and rangy frame, but he plays with good leverage. Shows consistent knee bend and the ability to get under a shorter blocker's pads.
Video
[video=youtube;LGjF-7gEPLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjF-7gEPLw[/video]

Kasa decommits from FLA, Chooses CU
http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=900866
(January, 2009) Late last week Kasa called Urban Meyer to inform him that he was no longer committed to the Gators.

"He took it well I guess because I am putting him in a really bad spot. He said he's not giving up on me. Of course he was a little upset about it. I didn't want to do that to him.

"I felt really bad about it because I'm putting Urban Meyer in a real bad spot. Colorado is best for me right now. I think their program is on the move up. I don't know, it felt right for me. It felt more comfortable than Florida. I've been to both a lot, but I felt more comfortable with the players and the coaches (at Colorado). That's not saying anything bad about Urban, I loved him and coach (Dan) McCarney, but I felt like Colorado is where I needed to be. They need me more than Florida does."

Original thread was lost, but for posterity, this was cached at google:

Boulder Buff
07-01-2009, 02:10 AM

How much does he play as a true freshman? Count me as one who thinks we're going to see him playing early and often. I think he is the wild card for the DL this year.

14er
07-01-2009, 02:18 AM

I don't think we have much of a choice with PT. We need him to start right away. I hope he is ready.

Junction
07-01-2009, 02:20 AM

How much does he play as a true freshman? Count me as one who thinks we're going to see him playing early and often. I think he is the wild card for the DL this year.

I hope we don't see too much of him, because I think the weaker the rest of the DL looks the more we'll see Nick play. I am anxious to see him, and I think he'll be able to contribute this year if needed, but I'd love to see some of the older guys step up and keep him off the field.... :thumbsup:

Hugegroove
07-01-2009, 02:25 AM

Maybe he plays in spot situations, but I don't see him sniffing the field as a starter.

buffsyko
07-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Passing downs, unless obi or shields doesn't step up.

AlferdJasper
07-01-2009, 02:48 AM

scout $ (http://colorado.scout.com/2/834615.html)

Back in January, he was asked about early playing time. He sounded level-headed that the possibility to play early was there, but he expected to work hard and earn playing time when it happens.

DallasBuff
07-01-2009, 02:49 AM

I don't think we have much of a choice with PT. We need him to start right away. I hope he is ready.
Agreed...stick him in there early....valuable experience for 2010 and 2011....

Bob Loblaw
07-01-2009, 02:49 AM

ding ding ding.

valdezj
07-01-2009, 05:40 AM

:yeahthat:

I really hope Obi and Herrod can have good seasons. I'd love to ease Kasa into the position. I've never been a fan of baptism by fire. Too risky imo.

buffsyko
07-01-2009, 05:42 AM

:yeahthat:

I really hope Obi and Herrod can have good seasons. I'd love to ease Kasa into the position. I've never been a fan of baptism by fire. Too risky imo.

I agree, we've had too many freshman playing and it's hurt us. I'd like to see him get in on passing downs and ease into the position and get his technique and mind right.

I'm pulling for obi and herrod Big time to do well, we need them.

Boulder Buff
07-01-2009, 05:45 AM

I'm not too worried about Herrod stepping up. Obi on the other hand...

buffsyko
07-01-2009, 05:49 AM

I'm not too worried about Herrod stepping up. Obi on the other hand...

He's from SEC country,he will dominate :thumbsup:

What i'm saying is, he was recruited by SEC schools so he must be awesome, that is what i'm saying Dallas Buff.

Unleash Hell
07-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Nuckols will play as a true frosh as well

SnowBuff
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Kasa will be the defensive version of Clark Evans. We will soon run a 1-6 defense since his sheer awesomeness will blind the opposing offensive linemen, allowing the linebackers to run free. However, that will be unnecessary because Kasa will sack the QB on every play.

Seriously tho, he works hard and he will play situationally. I hope to hell the guys above him make him earn it@!

sackman
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Ideally, he doesn't play a down because the guys we have at DL are playing well enough so that he's not needed.

Realistically, I think he letters this year. I think the minimum requirement for lettering is 100 plays.

A lot will also depend on what kind of players the coaches feel they have a good shot at recruiting.

Highflyer
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM

I believe our D-line is going to surprise us, in a good way, this season similar to the DBs last year.

I don't view Kasa getting significant PT as a bad thing. I view it as a "He's ready" thing, similar to Cunningham last season. No one can tell me it was a bad thing that Curtis played last year.

Dorn09
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM

He will block at least 1 field goal this season

Rraalph 3000
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM

I believe our D-line is going to surprise us, in a good way, this season similar to the DBs last year.

I don't view Kasa getting significant PT as a bad thing. I view it as a "He's ready" thing, similar to Cunningham last season. No one can tell me it was a bad thing that Curtis played last year.

Indeed...Curtis was a beast and did some really good things as a true Frosh

I think Kasa has an even better opportunity to make a similar impact. We could definately use some speed on the outside that doesn't have to come from one of our LB's.

SINKRATZ
07-02-2009, 02:16 AM

No way he redshirts. Part of the attraction for these blue chip kids is ealry playing time at CU - particularly at a position of need. Why do you think D-Scott played even after coming in out of shape last year?

Boulder Buff
07-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Sounds like Kasa has been one of the more impressive young players in summer workouts. At 6'7"/260, he has the size to play right away as well. Should be fun to watch.

rodrigo
07-31-2009, 10:42 PM

Sounds like Kasa has been one of the more impressive young players in summer workouts. At 6'7"/260, he has the size to play right away as well. Should be fun to watch.

That. Reading what older players are saying it sounds as if he's ready to compete right now, regardless of what the others on the DL do.

SnowBuff
07-31-2009, 10:53 PM

thank ****ing god. needed some good news this offseason.

buffaholic
07-31-2009, 11:19 PM

starter by conference schedule unless Obi takes a solid step forward.

dyemeduke
07-31-2009, 11:27 PM

I hope Obi and Herrod really take over the positions, but two members at the Big 12 Media days immediately named Kasa the most impressive newcomer. I say he plays a lot - not a starter, but about in-the-teens plays per game at least.

sackman
07-31-2009, 11:31 PM

Both Obi and Herrod need to step up this year. It's time. It's their third year in the program and they should know what's going on. If a freshman comes in and outplays either of them, that doesn't speak well for them. They were both highly recruited players out of high school.

4DemBuffs
07-31-2009, 11:41 PM

Both Obi and Herrod need to step up this year. It's time. It's their third year in the program and they should know what's going on. If a freshman comes in and outplays either of them, that doesn't speak well for them. They were both highly recruited players out of high school.

obi is the guy i want to see breakout. am i correct in thinking he was initially a UGA commit? i believe he was and was a big deal for CU to get him. it would be nice if he could blow up the UGA line when they come to Boulder next year.

Bob Loblaw
07-31-2009, 11:49 PM

obi is the guy i want to see breakout. am i correct in thinking he was initially a UGA commit? i believe he was and was a big deal for CU to get him. it would be nice if he could blow up the UGA line when they come to Boulder next year.

he was a four star UGA commit and became a 5.5 three star commit for the buffs.

Boulder Buff
07-31-2009, 11:55 PM

While I agree Obi and Herrod need to step up (and it is actually Herrod's 4th year in the program), Kasa coming in and earning immediate playing time is a good thing. It adds depth. Our defensive line was worn out at the end of last season, we need a solid rotation to prevent that in 2009.

SnowBuff
08-01-2009, 12:51 AM

While I agree Obi and Herrod need to step up (and it is actually Herrod's 4th year in the program), Kasa coming in and earning immediate playing time is a good thing. It adds depth. Our defensive line was worn out at the end of last season, we need a solid rotation to prevent that in 2009.
:yeahthat:. No more constant 5 yard runs for fuskers plz. :bang:

Buffnik
08-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Kasa dramatically upgrades our DE position. Our rotation there actually becomes respectable with him in the mix.

4DemBuffs
08-01-2009, 01:18 AM

he was a four star UGA commit and became a 5.5 three star commit for the buffs.

5.5 three star? :confused:

CarolinaBuff
08-01-2009, 01:55 AM

5.5 three star? :confused:

Maybe he's implying that his 40 speed "went down"?

4DemBuffs
08-01-2009, 02:03 AM

Maybe he's implying that his 40 speed "went down"?

dunno....

jrod212
08-01-2009, 02:16 AM

rivals has star ratings and also number ratings. i think 6.0 is where 5 stars starts. 5.3-5.6 is 3 star range

Buffnik
08-01-2009, 02:17 AM

5.5 refers to his "Rivals Rating". :smile:

6.1 is a *****
5.8-6.0 is a ****
5.5-5.7 is a ***
5.0-5.4 is a **
4.9 is a *

Explanation from the Rivals site:

The ranking system ranks prospects on a numerical scale from 6.1-4.9.

6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player

4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

Boulder Buff
08-01-2009, 02:39 AM

FWIW, the other young guy that has been mentioned is Deji Olatoye. So our highest rated and lowest rated guys in the class look like players. Go figure.

Looking back, it's telling that we were counting so much from a freshman. Especially at a position that rarely sees a true freshman play at a high level. Quite an adjustment going against 20+ year old BCS OTs versus 16 or 17 year old high school kids who probably won't play D1. Then the knee injury. Then the mono. But he still looked good when he played.

After a year of training, a full spring and an extended fall camp, Kasa will be a different player as a Sophomore. He and West are going to be a great duo from last year's class and I'm very excited to watch them the next few years.

I still wish I could re-read the thread where allbuffers discovered that Kasa was decommitting from Florida and coming to CU. That must have been an energetic thread.

I'm really excited to see what Kasa can do this year. A full spring and fall to work out and get ready, no more injuries or sickness. The force is strong in this one.

Back