What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1/2 full 1/2 empty

lvbuff

Many have said that the offensive line should be greatly inproved this coming season. IMHO they have stunk as a unit during Hawk's tenure as HC. Given that there were virtually no linemen in the program when he came, I would have expected them to be be subpar for a couple of seasons. However, the unit was HORRIBLE last season. I am not sure if there is anything to hang onto that would suggest they will be better next season. A year of experience? I dont think a year of getting blown off the LOS all season is anything to build on. The return of an overweight lineman who has never played a live snap? No. The addition of Richter may be something to hang onto along with an influx of more bodies to practice agsainst.

When looking at rosters of other teams this O-line matches up pound for pound but it appears they have bought into Hawkin's "culture" of losing.

One last thought...ANY journeyman running back could look like a Heisman winner behind a stellar offensive line...so the "excuse" that the team only has 4 running backs and will abandon the run game stinks.

Well I agree with you that they have stunk, but from what I gather there are reasons for optimism:

-OL coach returns to provide stability
-better depth as the young kids have had another offseason under their belts
-They apparently didn't play all that bad last season, Solder all Big 12, Miller honorable mention, Givens had his moments if he can keep his emotion under control
-It's not just Richter coming in or Tau being eligible, Max Tuiti Mariner is highly regarded and back from yet another ACL tear(fingers crossed). Jack Harris and Dannewitz were pretty decently recruited and should be able to contribute.
-I don't think we lost a single person that played on the OL last season, so again, stability.

First of all, our offensive line did a fine job at run blocking last season. Here are the numbers:

- Once Speedy was healthy (Wyoming onward), he averaged 21.3 carries a game and 85.1 yards per game - 4.0 yard average per carry. (Also 6 carries for 38 yards while injured with the hammy pull versus CSU.)

Here are the rest of the guys over the same period:

- Throw out Scott's 10 carries for 9 yards from the Wyoming game on (Edit - because he had a knee injury that required surgery). But even he had a 12 carry for 85 yard performance against Toledo.

- Sumler's 24 carries for 96 yards - 4 yard average - was pretty decent.

- Lockridge's 11 carries for 50 yards - 4.55 average - was very good.

- Hansen's rushing yardage (omitting sacks) was 51 carries for 336 yards - 6.59 average.

Chew on that a little bit. No seniors, guys missing time or the entire season with injuries/suspension, and we still run blocked well. It was our pass blocking we have to fix. 44 sacks that lost us 369 yards last year.

This OLine has been a huge enigma. Every year, I look at the measureables and the hype, and I figure they have to turn to the corner and become dominant. But it has happened yet, so I am not hopeful.

This line IS the problem with the offense. Not the QB (Little Hawk or Hansen), it isn't the RB, or the TE (who have to stay in to assist the OLine often)... it is the OLine. That is why our QBs are running for cover. They must get better at pass protection.

To follow up on the previous post:

How do we fix our pass blocking?

1- Everyone's a year older (we had zero seniors in 2009). Bigger and more experienced will almost always = better.

2- Talent added from the JUCO ranks (Richter), returning from injury (Max) and returning from suspension (Tau). They may not all start or even play a ton, but the increase depth and competition will usually result in better performance from the guy s who do play.

3- Hansen now has a lot more experience, which should result in him getting ball out faster and also throwing it away more often when nothing's there. (An experienced Cody took 11 sacks in the first 5 games plus limited duty in the last 7... an inexperienced Hansen took 33 sacks in 7 games plus a couple series versus Texas).

4- Commitment to a short passing game slows down the opposing pass rush. Kiesau and Hansen have talked this up during the spring (hopefully we'll see it).

5- Better, more experienced wide receivers. In 2009, CU entered the season with 1 WR on the roster who had caught a pass in a D1 game. In 2010, CU has 8 WRs on the roster who have caught a pass in a D1 game. We lost no seniors from the position, added a 4* transfer (Clemons) and returned a 3* speedster from football limbo (Celestine).

(Also, #s 1 & 2 are also reasons the CU running game should be better. Plus we return our starting RB. And if the passing game performs, that will help open things up on the ground.)

As an aside, I was a bit surprised to see something weird that went with Sumler's rushing stats. It seems that Hansen's QB style does not mesh well at all with Sumler's running style.

Sumler's Stats Pre-Hansen (1st 5 games): 25 carries for 104 yards

Sumler's Stats Post-Hansen (Last 7 games): 11 carries for 24 yards

I would bet that Sumler saw the writing on the wall with his reduced role in an offense that didn't fit him once Hansen took over.

First of all, our offensive line did a fine job at run blocking last season. Here are the numbers:

- Once Speedy was healthy (Wyoming onward), he averaged 21.3 carries a game and 85.1 yards per game - 4.0 yard average per carry. (Also 6 carries for 38 yards while injured with the hammy pull versus CSU.)

Here are the rest of the guys over the same period:

- Throw out Scott's 10 carries for 9 yards from the Wyoming game on (Edit - because he had a knee injury that required surgery). But even he had a 12 carry for 85 yard performance against Toledo.

- Sumler's 24 carries for 96 yards - 4 yard average - was pretty decent.

- Lockridge's 11 carries for 50 yards - 4.55 average - was very good.

- Hansen's rushing yardage (omitting sacks) was 51 carries for 336 yards - 6.59 average.

Chew on that a little bit. No seniors, guys missing time or the entire season with injuries/suspension, and we still run blocked well. It was our pass blocking we have to fix. 44 sacks that lost us 369 yards last year.

Sorry, but I don't see that as "fine" run blocking. In fact it is mediocre at best.

I'm really hoping that with Hansen starting all year, no more distractions from Smith and Scott, some very talented WRs, the team will really come together and we'll have some good offensive production for a change, which will give the defense some well-deserved bench time. That hope is tempered by the continuation of the coaching staff.

CU rushed for 100+ total yards 5 times last year. going 3-2 in those games (L's to ISU and NU). Run blocking against Missouri? -14 rushing yards. CU had more turnovers than rushing yards. I don't see the statement, with all respect, that CU did a good job run blocking. there were multiple sub 50 yard games. this is not good at rushing the football.

Last edited:
Imo its been alot of things. Had some injuries, youth, lack of identity, getting way behind, no commitment to rushing, new ol coaches, etc etc etc. To me, I kinda think old school football wise mind you, running the ball is alot about attitude. These guys will never have a power running game in this finessee system. Never thought Id say this but we run finessee stuff and we are pretty damn soft, at least compared to our real power running CU teams. Our running game reminds me of when Slick was here toward the end, started running less and less until we couldnt run much at all. Our identity changed with Slick and then changed again with GB. The thing is, at least we knew what those teams were identity wise. Since Hawk has been here, I still cant tell you what that identity is. They dont wanna run the ball as much fine, pick something and stick with it. Maybe our identity is the 3 yard out or curl lol.

Mick - in that Missouri game we had over 70 yards in sacks. In college stats, those get subtracted from your rushing totals. We actually ran the ball fairly effectively.

I'm not saying we had the type of running game we could hang our hats on last year. We didn't. But it wasn't bad, either. It was effective. Probably a bit better than mediocre. Our OL gets undeservedly ripped on this, imo.

Our pass blocking, however, was atrocious. We gave up nearly 4 sacks a game. Our QBs were rarely able to take a drop, progress through reads, and then step into a throw. This is what we have to fix. The run game will be fine.

buffnik, i understand what you are saying...and also the avg ypc stats above....but, i can't see any of this through any other lens than we've finished 12th in the conference in total O the last two seasons. and the guy who coaches our team came here with "explosive offense" as his alleged calling card and refuses to make any substantive changes except we install some major "tweak" (hurry up, pounding it, the spread that's not the spread YAC attack)....every season without much positive result. i dig your optimism here and on the hoops board and making the case for your team, but my faith is gone. i'd love to see them come out and shred D's and win games....but, i have to wait until i see it. "show me".

It is going to be impossible to run the ball when as an offense your can't throw it more than 5 yards down field. Every team stacks the box with 9 guys and just dares CU to try and throw the ball down the field. Until the offense can prove that they can make teams pay for crowding the line our run game will be no better than it has been the last three years.

It is going to be impossible to run the ball when as an offense your can't throw it more than 5 yards down field. Every team stacks the box with 9 guys and just dares CU to try and throw the ball down the field. Until the offense can prove that they can make teams pay for crowding the line our run game will be no better than it has been the last three years.
Ding..Ding...Ding, we have a winner....

My hope arises from the performance in the last couple of games. I thought our O line did very well against 'braska. I hope for a carry over into this season.

I can't be optimistic while Hawkins remains the head coach. He's like an anchor that keeps talent from producing.

My hope arises from the performance in the last couple of games. I thought our O line did very well against 'braska. I hope for a carry over into this season.

Since I went on record telling my Nebraska friends that their bowl showing was meaningless (they ran roughshod over UofAZ) showing, since UA no-showed, treated the bowl game as a "holiday" and didn't come to play........... I will point out this works both ways. Thus:

I would be careful from taking too much from the Nebraska game. We moved the ball pretty good against them and kept Suh in check most of the night, but let's not forget that NU was playing for pride only. They were already looking forward to the Texas game the week after.

I do think the O-Line did better as the season went on, but I don't think it was a strength even by season's end.

I dont recall ever being pessimistic before the season started. I dont see where anything is changing from last year. We were bad in every facet of the game last year, and nothing has been done to address the problems. I think Hawk truely believes that he was a victim of bad luck, or things beyond his control. I really thought the close call with him almost being fired last year would put some urgency in making some changes. Same **** different year. I need to find something else to do with my fall saturdays.

Mick - in that Missouri game we had over 70 yards in sacks. In college stats, those get subtracted from your rushing totals. We actually ran the ball fairly effectively.

I'm not saying we had the type of running game we could hang our hats on last year. We didn't. But it wasn't bad, either. It was effective. Probably a bit better than mediocre. Our OL gets undeservedly ripped on this, imo.

Our pass blocking, however, was atrocious. We gave up nearly 4 sacks a game. Our QBs were rarely able to take a drop, progress through reads, and then step into a throw. This is what we have to fix. The run game will be fine.

Our run game was average. How many of stewart's yds came after contact or him scrambling on his own to get yds? This OL is not physical for their size at all. Solder, and miller should be dominating people. Hopefully this year will be different. I was hoping richter would stay at center and tuioti would be healthy enough to start at guard. No matter who starts, they have to get nasty and be more physical. Hawk has made this program SOFT.

I can't be optimistic while Hawkins remains the head coach. He's like an anchor that keeps talent from producing.

Very true and the OL has been way overhyped the last few years...what will be so different this year? I have never been this skeptical as a football fan in my whole life and it sucks.

Another thing I think should help the OL is the fact that our DL seems to be much improved. That means the OL is practicing against players that are more comparable (not saying equal, but better than what we've typically had) to what they'll see in the regular season during the spring and fall camps. We've had a player here and there over the past few years, but it seems like we now have a pretty competent stable of DLs. We don't have that will crushing/space hogging DT we'd all hope, but for the most part our DL have improved a lot individually and as a unit. I hope that makes the OL better as well.

I dont recall ever being pessimistic before the season started. I dont see where anything is changing from last year. We were bad in every facet of the game last year, and nothing has been done to address the problems. I think Hawk truely believes that he was a victim of bad luck, or things beyond his control. I really thought the close call with him almost being fired last year would put some urgency in making some changes. Same **** different year. I need to find something else to do with my fall saturdays.

i was this pessimistic before the 1982 season. that's about the last time i felt as bad about the team's chances as now.

woohoo.

i do hope that, whatever happens, the team does its best and doesn't quit. it isn't their fault if they are poorly coached and perhaps are not all of the caliber necessary to compete in the b12.

Back