What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

10 best coaching jobs that might be available

The state of things for whoever comes here is why we are not higher on the list

So much for Barnett's final words before he rode off into the $3M ****ing sunset....Boulder is a goldmine. Too bad we hired the wrong guy. As I said the morning after Thanksgiving, we must wait another 3-5 years (after this horrible year) to re-establish ourselves among the Top 20 programs, assuming the next hire is the right guy...

yup, hard time believing S. Carolina is better than CU and Iowa.

Mick - you do a swell job on this board. Are you a faculty dude at CU? How about you create a groundswell of Buff football support? Let's get this bitch turned around. What do you say? First step is gaining support of all of your peers, convincing them that the football program is top priority....

Just say no to Les Miles. Richt would be fine by me though.

As far as the list, A&M and South Carolina are too high. Iowa should be higher.

South Carolina sold out 2 straight years when they won something like 3 games total.... Their fan base has always been way more rabid and they are financially better supported. Colorado was recently named the #1 over-penetrated sports market. For the population and spare cash, given we have Nuggets, Rockies, Broncos, Avalanche, Pro Soccer, pro Lacrosse, not to mention CSU, AFA, DU sports......

Colorado has a great school in a great setting. The state is populated by mostly people who moved here from elsewhere.
There are no more than 4-6 athletes per year who live within 800 miles or some such number who can play at this level.
The state has severe funding restrictions and other obstacles....

It's a good job, but putting together a winner at a place like South Carolina would be a lot easier - imo. At least there, it's a priority from the Governor on down.

South Carolina's Williams Brice Stadium has a capacity of 80,250.

No offense Colorado fans but this place IS a great coaching job.

745-stadium.lead_art_horizontal.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

South Carolina is not a bad job, not a great one though either. Great support for a historically losing program and a really good in-state recruiting base. But there is also a reason they have always had trouble sustaining success. For one, they are the #2 team in the state and then you have to realize they are going up against teams like Georgia and Florida with even better in-state recruiting bases. You can say a lot of the same things about Texas A&M, but that is not a great job either.

The problem we have is we absolutely rely on out-of-state recruiting. You can be successful at this (CU of old, Nebraska), but it requires more things to fall your way. Meanwhile, most southern schools have built-in talent bases in their backyards... which is like shooting fish in a barrel.

i like les miles but would he really take such a step down in facilities, available athletes, support, etc.?

same for richt...

i think we need a coach with more west coast ties and i doubt we'll pay for a top name. highly doubt it...

i think the next hire will be another stretch. i just hope this one pans out better than the last reach.

i like les miles but would he really take such a step down in facilities, available athletes, support, etc.?

same for richt...

i think we need a coach with more west coast ties and i doubt we'll pay for a top name. highly doubt it...

i think the next hire will be another stretch. i just hope this one pans out better than the last reach.

Miles moreso than Richt, I believe. Perhaps I'm putting too much weight into the idea that he did coach here, and he did coach in the Big 12. He has connections here and knows the story. I think he'd be great, personally. It's pretty hard to win consistently in the SEC, yet those yayhoos in Red Stick expect it.

South Carolina sold out 2 straight years when they won something like 3 games total.... Their fan base has always been way more rabid and they are financially better supported. Colorado was recently named the #1 over-penetrated sports market. For the population and spare cash, given we have Nuggets, Rockies, Broncos, Avalanche, Pro Soccer, pro Lacrosse, not to mention CSU, AFA, DU sports......

Colorado has a great school in a great setting. The state is populated by mostly people who moved here from elsewhere.
There are no more than 4-6 athletes per year who live within 800 miles or some such number who can play at this level.
The state has severe funding restrictions and other obstacles....

It's a good job, but putting together a winner at a place like South Carolina would be a lot easier - imo. At least there, it's a priority from the Governor on down.

South Carolina's Williams Brice Stadium has a capacity of 80,250.

No offense Colorado fans but this place IS a great coaching job.

:yeahthat:

Not only do they average 78-80K per game every season but the Columbia metro area is much smaller than Denver and its surrounding area. Plus there's Clemson which is only a couple of hours from Columbia and they also average about 80K per game, so that state certainly supports their college football extremely well.

Why go with a retread or some guy who's already been a winner somewhere else? Seems to me the Urban Meyers of this world are a lot fewer and further between than the Dan Hawkins. More likely scenario is a winner in one place thinks his s*** don't stink so he plays god and f's up his new surroundings. CU's history in this regard speaks for itself. As much as I hate to say it, every day the cornholes look better and better having gone with BoPeep. I say scout a young dc or oc whose contribution to a winning program has a couple years of legs and roll the dice.

The reasons CU is not at the top of the list... money, facilities, fan support (I'm not talking about the hardcore fans on this site). CU has all the intangibles. Great location, good school, solid history, but it falls behind drastically in the other areas. CU could easily be a top 20 job (a perennial top 25 team that challenges for the BCS every 3 years and who has a legit national title shot once every 5-10 years), but the big thing the program needs is an infusion of money. College FB has become about the haves and the have nots. A school and job of this quality... and what does the entire coaching staff make? Less than $3 million total. There are many schools that pay their HC nearly or more than that amount. Same with the facilities, sure they may have been great 15 years ago, but isn't 1995 anymore. CU has the potential to be great, but certain things will have to happen before that occurs. First and foremost, a solid coach that can generate excitement around the program. Will they pay for such a coach? Who knows.

Last edited:
CU will pay its next HC less than every school on that list, but the cost of living in Boulder is probably higher than every other school on that list.

Several things:

1. Carolina is a sleeping giant-type job. With support like that, if they ever won big, they'd turn into a steamroller.
2. Les Miles would be a fantastic hire, but it's probably not realistic. He is the real reason OSU is a quality football program now. He wasn't afraid to talk crap to OU and then beat them to boot. We would love to have a big-talker like him who could actually back it up. And he's got the old-school, hard-nosed Meeeeshigan style, which I think would mesh well with what CU was when it was great: a smash-mouth, running team that scared the crap out of people. Miles would bring all that back.
3. People still have respect for CU historically speaking. The next hire is crucial. Another bad one and that respect for history at CU will be gone. But if CU can make a good hire the Buffs will be back in the national conversation.

Back