What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CA DE Chidera Uzo-Diribe (Signed to Colorado)

Re: '10 CA DE Chidera Uzo-Diribe (Committed to Colorado)

CUD moved up in the new Rivals ratings from the 50th ranked weakside defensive end to the 36th ranked. Profile updated. :thumbsup:

ESPN has added an evaluation. Diribe is a 3* and ranked as the #108 DE for 2010. Link in 1st post to this thread.

Evaluation:
Uzo-Diribe is a defender who on film comes across as kid with good size and the frame to be able to pack on more needed bulk. He appears to play more of a stand-up rush end in high school and that is a way he could be deployed in college though we feel he may be better suited in the long run to play as a more traditional defensive end with his hand on the ground. He displays the ability to use his hands to maintain separation when taking on a blocker, but looks to need to improve overall strength and derive more power from his lower body to help him keep his ground when engaged with a blocker. Displays solid feel for the position and will come across the line-of-scrimmage and squeeze down and locate the ball. Displays a good motor and pursues to the ball. Displays adequate straight-line speed and closing burst though he is a good tackler who will wrap up and can deliver a pop. Will flash upside as a pass rusher, but needs to keep developing. Uzo-Diribe is a solid prospect who displays upside. Playing from a three-point stance and near the line of scrimmage may better suit his skill set and allow him to be most productive with his tools.

Has confirmed to Rivals he will sign tomorrow with CU. Also states that Oregon State and Arizona tried to get him to trip in January. This kid has got some upside me thinks.

Upside for sure, but a couple years getting adjusted to college football would do him well. He is really new to football in general after all. I like his potential a lot actually, might be my favorite player in the class besides Clark.

Hope they all sign, we can't have 3-4 guys de-commit because undersigning again would not be good.

Found what I think is a really good article from January about why Chidera switched from basketball to football. It also suggests that grades may not be such an issue:

Pretty dated, so I'm just going to post the whole thing (http://www.pe.com/rss/sports/stories/PE_Sports_Local_W_hsgt_feature_08.47dcee6.html)

CORONA - Haig Diribe, the father of Corona High football star Chidera Uzo-Diribe, chuckles now at his insistence his son focus on basketball instead of football.

"Foolish me," Haig says.

Sometimes father doesn't know best. Uzo-Diribe, a star defensive end who will play for Riverside against San Bernardino in Saturday's 7 p.m. Inland Empire Classic All-Star Game at Corona High, only achieved prominence on the football field after leaving his beloved basketball behind.

"He excelled in basketball, but his problem is he was stuck at (6-foot-3)," Haig said. "He was playing a big man's game in a small-man's body. I think Chidera figured this out himself."

So when Corona football coach John Brandom eyed Uzo-Diribe in a fall 2008 health class and suggested he return to football after a one-year absence, the future sack-master was receptive.

"He asked me to play football and I said 'sure,' " Uzo-Diribe said. "I figured I'd have a better chance of getting (college) paid for."

Despite limited playing time and a stat sheet that showed just 12 tackles as a junior, Uzo-Diribe shined at the University of Colorado full-contact camp last June. The Buffaloes offered the 6-foot-3, 220-pounder a scholarship on the spot, and he accepted.

That decision doomed Uzo-Diribe's basketball career. After scoring six points per game last season and starting for two seasons, he elected not to play this season.

Uzo-Diribe's football scholarship stunned Haig Diribe and wife Chris, who emigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria in 1988.

"When he called us from Colorado and said he (accepted) I was surprised it happened so soon," Chris said. "It's incredible. I'm so proud of him and thrilled to see how well he is doing in football now."

The Panthers star averaged 6.9 tackles per game in 2009 and had 6.5 sacks.

Like any self-respecting pass-rusher, a clear shot at the quarterback is what makes his pulse race.

"You just think 'Clean kill.' " Uzo-Diribe said. "I always watch how they get back up. If they get up sort of slow and gingerly you know you've gotten into their head and they'll be looking out for you again."

Uzo-Diribe lists versatility as a strength; he can play end or linebacker. Certainly versatility and adaptability seem to be hallmarks for the Nigerian-American teenager and his family.

Chris Diribe had a stroke in 1993 when her son was 11 months old. Her left arm is partially paralyzed, but she still cares for three children and drives a car to her job as a planner for Orange County.

Haig Diribe abandoned his goal of becoming a veterinarian when his wife was stricken, switching to substitute teaching to make ends meet. Now he has risen to become the vice principal of Anaheim Loara High School.

Such diligence and striving for excellence doesn't surprise former San Bernardino Aquinas High football coach Josh Henderson (now at LA Baptist). Henderson coached a host of outstanding Nigerian-American players with the Falcons, including lineman Uche Amajoyi, who will suit up Saturday night for the San Bernardino all-stars.

"There is the tangible (physical gifts) and the intangible," Henderson said. "One of the intangibles is brains. All of the Nigerian kids I had were top students and highly disciplined. They all had great parental support and were achievement- and success-oriented. The parents wanted things to be better for the next generation."

A generalization? Yes. But it just happens to fit Uzo-Diribe, as well.

"My father says you can always learn and better yourself," he said. "I'd like to play next season and make an impact. But someday I want to be a lawyer."

Found what I think is a really good article from January about why Chidera switched from basketball to football. It also suggests that grades are not an issue, which is great:

Pretty dated, so I'm just going to post the whole thing (http://www.pe.com/rss/sports/stories/PE_Sports_Local_W_hsgt_feature_08.47dcee6.html)

CORONA - Haig Diribe, the father of Corona High football star Chidera Uzo-Diribe, chuckles now at his insistence his son focus on basketball instead of football.

"Foolish me," Haig says.

Sometimes father doesn't know best. Uzo-Diribe, a star defensive end who will play for Riverside against San Bernardino in Saturday's 7 p.m. Inland Empire Classic All-Star Game at Corona High, only achieved prominence on the football field after leaving his beloved basketball behind.

"He excelled in basketball, but his problem is he was stuck at (6-foot-3)," Haig said. "He was playing a big man's game in a small-man's body. I think Chidera figured this out himself."

So when Corona football coach John Brandom eyed Uzo-Diribe in a fall 2008 health class and suggested he return to football after a one-year absence, the future sack-master was receptive.

"He asked me to play football and I said 'sure,' " Uzo-Diribe said. "I figured I'd have a better chance of getting (college) paid for."

Despite limited playing time and a stat sheet that showed just 12 tackles as a junior, Uzo-Diribe shined at the University of Colorado full-contact camp last June. The Buffaloes offered the 6-foot-3, 220-pounder a scholarship on the spot, and he accepted.

That decision doomed Uzo-Diribe's basketball career. After scoring six points per game last season and starting for two seasons, he elected not to play this season.

Uzo-Diribe's football scholarship stunned Haig Diribe and wife Chris, who emigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria in 1988.

"When he called us from Colorado and said he (accepted) I was surprised it happened so soon," Chris said. "It's incredible. I'm so proud of him and thrilled to see how well he is doing in football now."

The Panthers star averaged 6.9 tackles per game in 2009 and had 6.5 sacks.

Like any self-respecting pass-rusher, a clear shot at the quarterback is what makes his pulse race.

"You just think 'Clean kill.' " Uzo-Diribe said. "I always watch how they get back up. If they get up sort of slow and gingerly you know you've gotten into their head and they'll be looking out for you again."

Uzo-Diribe lists versatility as a strength; he can play end or linebacker. Certainly versatility and adaptability seem to be hallmarks for the Nigerian-American teenager and his family.

Chris Diribe had a stroke in 1993 when her son was 11 months old. Her left arm is partially paralyzed, but she still cares for three children and drives a car to her job as a planner for Orange County.

Haig Diribe abandoned his goal of becoming a veterinarian when his wife was stricken, switching to substitute teaching to make ends meet. Now he has risen to become the vice principal of Anaheim Loara High School.

Such diligence and striving for excellence doesn't surprise former San Bernardino Aquinas High football coach Josh Henderson (now at LA Baptist). Henderson coached a host of outstanding Nigerian-American players with the Falcons, including lineman Uche Amajoyi, who will suit up Saturday night for the San Bernardino all-stars.

"There is the tangible (physical gifts) and the intangible," Henderson said. "One of the intangibles is brains. All of the Nigerian kids I had were top students and highly disciplined. They all had great parental support and were achievement- and success-oriented. The parents wanted things to be better for the next generation."

A generalization? Yes. But it just happens to fit Uzo-Diribe, as well.

"My father says you can always learn and better yourself," he said. "I'd like to play next season and make an impact. But someday I want to be a lawyer."

Here's my fearless prediction on Diribe:

I believe he's an all-everything talent. He's Brian Orakpo with a good head on his shoulders. He'll be killing quarterbacks for CU as at least a 2-year starter who play quality snaps for 4 years.

Back