What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CA SG Jordin Mayes (Signed to Arizona)

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
recruit_mayes_400.jpg

Westchester HS (Los Angeles, CA)

Ht: 6-1
Wt: 170

Scout Bio:
Very heady point guard with excellent feel for the game. Average athlete, but makes great decisions with above average skill level. Potential high major prospect.
ESPN Eval:
July, 2008: Mayes has the best feel of any guard in the west coast class of 2010. He doesn't have superior quickness and/or speed, but his savvy makes up for it. He is always on balance and he understands when to change speeds and use his frame to break down opponents. He is one of the most prolific passers in the west and his jump shot is pure. He can play both guard positions because of his overall feel for the game. Thus, it will be interesting to see what the future has in store because at this stage he's an undersized combo-guard for the high-major level.

Re: '10 CA PG Jordin Mayes

Westchester's Mayes is emerging as a quality prospect
LATimes.com

When it comes to the Southland's most recognizable name among guards in the 2010 recruiting class, UCLA-bound Kendall Williams from Los Osos ranks at the top of the list. Mater Dei's Gary Franklin and Colony's Tyler Lamb are not far behind and both did a good job of narrowing the gap over the past couple of months.

Interestingly enough, most observers aren't familiar with Jordin Mayes. However, the 6-foot-1 junior from Westchester did his best to open the eyes of Division I scouts from all over the country during the summer evaluation period and could end up being mentioned as one of the best of the bunch before all is said and done.

More...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxpv6IiNLdA"]YouTube - DOD: Puerto Rico PNR Vs. PNR Power[/ame]
Jordin Mayes #22

:smile2: Thanks...I looked for him, but yeah, I didn't see him.

One thing I'd have to say about bball recruiting - stars mean more. I think bball recruiting is a lot more publicized than football recruiting, and it's honestly easier to evaluate talent in bball than football - all my personal opinion.

Of course, stars don't mean everything, but I do think sites' star rankings are more on in bball. I would like to see Bz get more kids with 3 and some 4 stars. He seems to be patient in getting his right type of kid, and this seems to be the first highly ranked prospect we're after. With Tomlinson struggling and our depth at point short, this pickup would be huge. RP was a horrible coach, but recruited superb talent. Bz is a great coach, but working with less talent than RP. I hope Bz gets more talent in.

Call me optimistic, but I think our recruiting is on the upswing.

Re: '10 CA SG Jordin Mayes

Boys' basketball: Westchester's big men come through

It's tough enough to try to beat defending state Division I champion Westchester because of its talented guards. But when the Comets' two big men, 6-foot-7 Dwayne Polee and 6-9 Reggie Murphy, play like they did Sunday night in the Fairfax tournament final, the Comets can't lose.

Polee scored 17 points, rebounded, blocked shots and made free throws. Murphy had nine points and was a presence in the middle. It all helped the Comets defeat Long Beach Poly, 63-57, to win the Fairfax championship. The Comets haven't lost this summer and don't figure to.

Yes, teams might come close, as Gardena Serra did Saturday night in a double overtime game, but Westchester deserves to be considered the No. 1 team in the state. Jordin Mayes, who would have been selected the tournament MVP if there was one, had 11 points for Westchester. Denzel Douglas added 12 points.

Poly trailed by 16 points in the second half but made it close at the end behind Shelton Boykin, who had 20 points, and Ryan Anderson, who had 18.

-- Eric Sondheimer

Prime Time Shootout Final Weekend Class of 2010 School Lists
Posted by northstarbball at 2/17/2009 12:58 PM
Categories: Class of 2010,Articles
by Alex Schwartz

Here are the class of 2010 school lists that I collected at the Sovereign Bank Arena over the weekend:

Jordin Mayes ’10, Westchester (CA):
Cal, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Colorado, San Diego, San Diego State, Texas A&M, Utah, Marquette, Santa Clara, Gonzaga, and UNLV

Offers: Stanford, Colorado, San Diego, Texas A&M, and Utah
Favorites: UCLA, Arizona State, San Diego, Utah, Gonzaga, and UNLV
Note- Mayes said that the whole Pac-10 is recruiting him.
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009...final-weekend-class-of-2010-school-lists.aspx

2009 PRIMETIME SHOOTOUT RECAP

primetime-court.jpg

Here is a comprehensive look back at the two days on Trenton from February 14th and 15th…

Lincoln Not Hard Enough For Westchester

Playing back to back games is tough, especially after getting squashed on national TV by your cross Hudson River rival, St. Patrick’s. Lincoln, though like the Jay Z song with the beat, “Brooklyn we go hard,” took its game down south to Trenton to face off against one of California’s top teams, Westchester. In the game itself the Brooklyn school did go hard, just Lance Stephenson and company just always seemed to be one step behind Westchester.

Lincoln went into halftime only down three points, 36-33. Jordin Mays, however hit for four consecutive three pointers to kick off the third quarter, and Lincoln could never recover from there. Lincoln had several runs late in the fourth quarter cutting the game as close as four; however, Westchester just could not be stopped. The California school hit for 21 of 26 free throws in the period, and went on to defeat Lincoln 85-78.
Jordin Mays had a game high 31 points, to go along with two other teammates also in double digits. Lance Stephenson led Lincoln with 26 points.

jordin-mayes-at-primetime.jpg

Jordin Mayes

BC’s Take on Mayes: This guard showed himself to be a big time talent. He showed excellent scoring ability and shooting range as he opened the second half with four three pointers. He hit six of those shots on the day. Jordin also attacked off the dribble. He converted on a floater in the lane, made a nice pass and got to the foul line. He was an impressive 8 for 8 from the foul line and helped close out the game from there. Jordin was without a doubt one of the most impressive players on the day.
Mayes gave Northstar Basketball Blog an extensive live of schools, most from the Pac 10, but Marquette was one of the schools he did mention.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/big-east-shop/2009-primetime-shootout-recap/

Boys' basketball: Jim Harrick is coaching travel team
There's a familiar face coaching the Pump N Run Elite team. Former UCLA Coach Jim Harrick, who turns 71 on Saturday, is on the sideline again.
Harrick singled out two players he likes on his travel team -- Westchester All-City guard Jordin Mayes and Harvard-Westlake forward Erik Swoope.
"He's a big-time competitor," Harrick said of Mayes. "He's good with the ball, he's good without the ball."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/var...ball-jim-harrick-is-coaching-travel-team.html

Back