What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Kain Colter (Signed to Northwestern)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
KAINCOLTER6_23200.JPG

Cherry Creek HS (Englewood, CO)

Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 185 lbs
Forty: 4.6

Rivals Rating: #41 ATH; ***
Scout Rating: #65 QB; ***
ESPN: 77 ATH

Last edited:
Re: '10 CO ATH Kain Colter (committed to Stanford)

I spoke with a good friend of Spence Colter (Kain's dad and ex-football coach at Boulder High). The big thing that cost us with Kain is that we did not offer him an opportunity to try out at quarterback. He's actually pretty high on CU.

Thats to bad, He could really help our team. I don't know if we can afford to keep telling kids that we will give them a shot a qb. Moten, Spond, Evans, I say Evans because many teams wanted him at TE.

I spoke with a good friend of Spence Colter (Kain's dad and ex-football coach at Boulder High). The big thing that cost us with Kain is that we did not offer him an opportunity to try out at quarterback. He's actually pretty high on CU.

I'm as big a fan of Kain as anybody. He's one hell of an athlete. But at CU, we now have three guys who are in this class who want a chance at quarterback. You can't add a fourth to the mix. Next year, we'll have Cody, Evans, Hansen, Lobato, Hirschman, Spond and Legeaux. There aren't enough reps to go around. I think CU was just being honest with him. He'll be a fantastic safety.

I agree with you guys. I think honesty hurt us here because I do not believe for a second that Harbaugh has any expectation of Kain becoming the Stanford quarterback or any intention of letting him stay there for very long (if at all).

I'm as big a fan of Kain as anybody. He's one hell of an athlete. But at CU, we now have three guys who are in this class who want a chance at quarterback. You can't add a fourth to the mix. Next year, we'll have Cody, Evans, Hansen, Lobato, Hirschman, Spond and Legeaux. There aren't enough reps to go around. I think CU was just being honest with him. He'll be a fantastic safety.

The latest update on Spond indicates that he is embracing the "Athlete" designation and backing off of the "I'll only go where I get a chance at QB."

But you point out something very interesting - Hawk is overloading on QBs; something Barnett did in his later years - recruiting the guys who were HS QBs and putting them at other positions. BJax, Patrick Williams, White Lightning, Riar Geer, and others I'm sure I'm missing.

Bummer :huh:. I have a feeling that Harbaugh is somewhat of a slimeball in the living room, no way does he really give Colter much of a shot at QB.

But you point out something very interesting - Hawk is overloading on QBs; something Barnett did in his later years - recruiting the guys who were HS QBs and putting them at other positions. BJax, Patrick Williams, White Lightning, Riar Geer, and others I'm sure I'm missing.

Definitely. And it makes a lot of sense. A HS quarterback is often the best athlete on his team and usually has high football acumen. I'm all for Hawkins, now that we have depth established, bringing in the best athletes he can find and then figuring out what position they'll play after they're here.

well, if hes backing off the "QB" thing, does this mean we have a shot?

well, if hes backing off the "QB" thing, does this mean we have a shot?

Spond's backing off the QB thing, not Colter afaik. We've got a shot at Spond but Colter's very solid to Stanford imo.

The latest update on Spond indicates that he is embracing the "Athlete" designation and backing off of the "I'll only go where I get a chance at QB."

Makes sense. Most high school QBs are the best, or close to, athlete on their team. There are exceptions, but the best athlete gets picked as QB from an early age and generally progresses at the position.

I've made this point many times, but I'll make it again: Ryan Walters was an all-state quarterback in high school. The smart kids understand that only one quarterback can play, but usually up to four safeties will play every game. At the end of the day, you have a better chance of making the NFL as a safety than you do as a quarterback.

lets see how solid he is if Harbaugh ends up at Kansas. Hawk needs to pay him a visit.

did Colter not get the message that Hinder is going to Stanford?

I agree with you guys. I think honesty hurt us here because I do not believe for a second that Harbaugh has any expectation of Kain becoming the Stanford quarterback or any intention of letting him stay there for very long (if at all).

I remember reading a story about John L. Smith when he was at Louisville. The beat reporter was there the first day of fall camp when all the frosh reported.

John L. says to the reporter, "you see that kid over there? He's going to be a great safety". The reporter said, "Why is he taking reps with the QB's?". John L. said, "Because his daddy is here for the first practice, we'll wait and switch him to safety tomorrow".

I remember reading a story about John L. Smith when he was at Louisville. The beat reporter was there the first day of fall camp when all the frosh reported.

John L. says to the reporter, "you see that kid over there? He's going to be a great safety". The reporter said, "Why is he taking reps with the QB's?". John L. said, "Because his daddy is here for the first practice, we'll wait and switch him to safety tomorrow".

Great story.

Sounds about right.

After the position, there is also the Stanford degree to compete with.

Re: '10 CO ATH Kain Colter

Kain has de-committed from Stanford.

Now favoring Arizona State, but CU has got to be in the mix.

If we could keep Kain home, that would be an unexpected and welcome surprise... and would fill the need we have for a Safety this cycle. :thumbsup:

Kid has offers from Stanford, Northwestern and CU. No way in hell does he end up in stincoln.

We shall see, word is however that NU is pursuing Brion Carnes pretty heavily out of Florida. Once the dead period ends things might heat up with him. He is Tommie Frazier's cousin. Colter would do just fine as well.

Back