What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO DT Lexington Smith (Signed to Northern Colorado)

Re: '10 CO OG Lexington Smith

It seems weird to say, but we absolutely have time for projects at DT. Guys like Lex (and Sealii Epenesa or Foi Foi from Hawaii) would have time to develop at CU.

I think Sealii and Foi show a lot more potential than Lexinton has. jmho. I'd like to see Lex get a spot to walk on. Hawkins needs to give a ship to more of a 'sure thing' if you know what I mean.

I think Sealii and Foi show a lot more potential than Lexinton has. jmho. I'd like to see Lex get a spot to walk on. Hawkins needs to give a ship to more of a 'sure thing' if you know what I mean.

Hear, hear

Absolutely agree.

I'd like to see Lex get a spot to walk on. Hawkins needs to give a ship to more of a 'sure thing' if you know what I mean.

Not sure he can afford it.

It won't make a difference in who CU offers, but if a kid like Lex gets offered by the Lammies, or CSU/Pueblo, or Wyoming, he's going to have to consider that over a walk-on opportunity. College is just too expensive for a lot of kids.

I think his senior season will make it clear whether he's ready for CU and vice versa. Man, I hope he has a great one.

Heard from a source at East that Lex is planning a trip to Arizona.
Didn't know whether U of AZ or ASU.

:bang:

Despite a strong showing at the Nike camp in boulder, never saw any interest from CU. (At least none I could find.)
According to Rivals:
Smith was one of the most talented defensive linemen in attendance at the Boulder NIKE Training Camp in June.

169909.jpg

Not sure he can afford it.

It won't make a difference in who CU offers, but if a kid like Lex gets offered by the Lammies, or CSU/Pueblo, or Wyoming, he's going to have to consider that over a walk-on opportunity. College is just too expensive for a lot of kids.

I think his senior season will make it clear whether he's ready for CU and vice versa. Man, I hope he has a great one.

Walking on depends on a lot of things. First is obviously how badly he wants to play at the D1 Big XII level. Some guys are not interested in playing at a lower level be that D2 or MWC, if so the extra work required as a walk-on is worth it to them.

Secondly there is a lot of money available to get through the first year at least if they meet certain considerations. How are the kids academics, does he qualify for merit based money (being a minority can help in this situation.) A big factor is the family financial situation. If their income is low enough there is a lot of grant money that is available as well.

The hard thing is that a lot of this money requires fairly high academic performance to renew so the kid either has to do very well in the classroom which is hard with the time commitment that football requires or earn his athletic scholly quickly so he is not relying on the other monies after the first year (or semester.)

As low as our scholly numbers have been the probability that a scholly will be available is pretty good if the kid shows he belongs at this level.

Maybe CU will step up their recruiting now that the coaching is settled for the next few months. Seems like they figure they have all the time in the world with Ronnie's boys.

Heard from a source at East that Lex is planning a trip to Arizona.
Didn't know whether U of AZ or ASU.

:bang:

Despite a strong showing at the Nike camp in boulder, never saw any interest from CU. (At least none I could find.)
According to Rivals:
Smith was one of the most talented defensive linemen in attendance at the Boulder NIKE Training Camp in June.

169909.jpg

Talkins and his staff are lost.. No surprise here..

Be the first on your block (as of right now there are less than 10 views according to the youtube counter)...

to view Lexington Smith's game highlights

[video=youtube;bdNyVA-HjyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNyVA-HjyU[/video]

This is from the youtube description, I'm wondering if we have Lex in the right category on our recruiting profile?

Lexington Smith, who has played Left Tackle, Defensive End, Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle for the Denver East Angels. Lex played both offense and defense for the Denver East Angels varsity football team ...

Not worth an offer imo. He's definitely a project player, but I question how much upside there is to this kid. I hear he has the size, but that's about it.

If I were him I'd take the JUCO route. Maybe that way he can get more exp. and get to show a bit more.

To have no offers and no visits at this juncture, after attending the Nike camp in Boulder this summer, tells me that there's more to this deal than "lacking film".

It almost always means that there's some work to do for NCAA clearing house....

Not worth an offer imo. He's definitely a project player, but I question how much upside there is to this kid. I hear he has the size, but that's about it.

If I were him I'd take the JUCO route. Maybe that way he can get more exp. and get to show a bit more.

He is a very good athlete, I can verify that. Not real sure on his football abilities, as I've never gone to one of their games, but the guy can really move for a big guy.

To have no offers and no visits at this juncture, after attending the Nike camp in Boulder this summer, tells me that there's more to this deal than "lacking film".

It almost always means that there's some work to do for NCAA clearing house....

Pretty sure that is not the deal.

He is a very good athlete, I can verify that. Not real sure on his football abilities, as I've never gone to one of their games, but the guy can really move for a big guy.
I think he also plays rugby or laX for East. So he does have some ability.

It's jmo. I wish him nothing but the best. :thumbsup:

I think he also plays rugby or laX for East. So he does have some ability.

It's jmo. I wish him nothing but the best. :thumbsup:

Rugby...and don't you forget it. :smile2:

The one good thing about him not getting a lot of looks in football, is that he may play rugby in the spring again. As a coach on that team, I approve of that greatly. :thumbsup:

So, if it's not academics and it's not exposure (Unless CU is slowballing him to keep the other teams from discovering him), then what is it? CU definitely knows this kids abilities.

Does he like contact on the Rugby field there Kingpants? Is he an aggressive guy or is he just a big athletic body who likes to have fun?

Maybe he just isn't good enough? Not even a whiff from UNC?

So, if it's not academics and it's not exposure (Unless CU is slowballing him to keep the other teams from discovering him), then what is it? CU definitely knows this kids abilities.

Does he like contact on the Rugby field there Kingpants? Is he an aggressive guy or is he just a big athletic body who likes to have fun?

Maybe he just isn't good enough? Not even a whiff from UNC?

He has not sent out a single tape, letter or anything. He just got hilites this week and is starting the recruiting process now. He has had zero exposure except for attending CU's camp. (Did we change position coaches since that camp in June?)

Baffling, I really like this kid, but I am not in a position to evaluate his ability. Just that I HAVE seen him play and there's a reason he played every single down (both offense and defense), except kickoffs. He's big, strong, athletic and a real nice kid, too.

I know the adults helping him are exasperated at how long it took to get any kind of tape out of the school - no junior reel at all. Maybe this will jump start his recruitment.

He has not sent out a single tape, letter or anything. He just got hilites this week and is starting the recruiting process now. He has had zero exposure except for attending CU's camp. (Did we change position coaches since that camp in June?)

Baffling, I really like this kid, but I am not in a position to evaluate his ability. Just that I HAVE seen him play and there's a reason he played every single down (both offense and defense), except kickoffs. He's big, strong, athletic and a real nice kid, too.

I know the adults helping him are exasperated at how long it took to get any kind of tape out of the school - no junior reel at all. Maybe this will jump start his recruitment.
Sounds like he made a big mistake. Too bad.

Just got a text that there's new tape up on my guy Lexington Smith on youtube. And he looks really good in the "East vs. Legacy" highlights. It may be "too little-too late" for CU, but my source says tapes were mailed just last week and he already has an official visit scheduled for UNC (Greeley) in January, they called as soon as they saw the highlights. So while I really wanted him to be a buff, at least his story has the potential for a happy ending if he gets to go to college and play football.

[video=youtube;T_AjaXYiNiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AjaXYiNiQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

This is another (very short) video the East coaches just posted. Not sure what they are thinking, but I guess you get credit for effort.
[video=youtube;cRULUDs_D84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRULUDs_D84[/video]

It may be too late for CU this cycle. Maybe not. But if his dream is to play D1, he could also take a JUCO scholarship and transfer after a year as a full qualifier.

The new Scout article said that he is considering that route. http://colorado.scout.com/2/934422.html

Let's hope his recruitment takes less time than Will Jefferson's ... wasn't he the one who was discovered to be a full qualifier one day, and was offered and accepted in like 36 hours?
Wishful thinking from my corner, hate to see Lex end up anywhere but CU.

Ringo didn't have my inside scoop: Smith is taking an official visit to UNC in a couple weeks. It's a start.

This was bugging me: I wanted to find the reference to how Lexington Smith did at the Nike camp this summer.

Found -- it was encouraging:

Final Nike camp of the year in Boulder, Colo

Espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4277713

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=98919
Lexington Smith (Denver/East) was the top defensive tackle at the camp and has some real upside. He's a powerful kid who got better with coaching. He has a solid frame and a nice motor and is definitely a player with the tools to project as a Division I athlete.

They did start the article with raves that Nduka Onyeali dominated at his position, but at defensive tackle, it was Lexington who took the honors.

Also mentioned another local kid, I'll see what I can dig up:
Right behind Drango was Austin Scheufele (Lafayette, Colo./Centaurus). The big man was great in the one-on-ones and was the most physical offensive lineman in the camp. He plays with a mean streak and is very strong.

Scheufele is going to Harvard.

All-Region Team BDC

According to an older Rivals article, he's got a 4.23 GPA, scored a 29 on the ACT and wants to study medicine. Sounds like a great kid.

Back