What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO QB Austin Hinder (Signed to Cal)

Re: '10 CO QB Austin Hinder

Actually, I think this is a situation that will be different than the Kasa situation. Seems like we try to get the QB situation in our classes squared away during the summer. So we might get a commit from another QB this summer. Hard to believe we would bring in three QBs in one class (remember we're giving Spond a shot at QB first).

No way, no how is Hinder #1 in Colorado. Danny Spond is the best recruit in Colorado this cycle. He can play any of 5 positions and he can play now.

Spond is a football player. Hinder is a camp "wunderkind."

I wouldn't doubt if that is the case, as I was always a little hesitant to believe that a kid who plays against 0 competition in the mountains could really be THAT good...not that's it isn't possible to be blessed with a heap of talent, but playing against nobody competition doesn't help develop but rather inflates talent

I don't know, this smacks a bit of sour grapes. Scouts evaluate talent in the camps, which may very well translate on the field. Lots of successful college kids came from podunk small towns. If "the best QB coach in the country" has offered him and coaches him, my guess is he will be successful, too.

There are so many kids out there, you win some and lose a lot.

Not necessarily just sour grapes. I posted this back in March in the Ameen-Moore thread, when CU's prospects were looking a little better....

That game could be a madhouse. GWS doesn't exactly have a 15,000 seat field. And word I'm getting from those who have seen Hinder is that it might be best not to believe the hype... In fact, one person who had seen both told me that GWS QB from last year was a vastly superior player to Hinder. Only problem is he measured under 6'0", and he's headed off to a D-III school in Montana.

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=426219&postcount=50

Now, the kid still has a senior year to play, so clearly it's too early to write him off. But what I was told by somebody who has seen and studied Hinder was pretty clear, to date he hasn't been "all that" in Western Slope Conference play. Good, don't get me wrong, but not great on the field. I wish the kid well wherever he goes, but let's not fall into the trap of thinking he is the only QB or the only in-state prospect worth recruiting, or that this class is over before it starts if he commits elsewhere...

I completely agree. I would not be at all surprised if Spond ends up taking over Hinder by the final rankings, but sure, Hinder is the top prospect at this time. However, the job that Hawk and his staff have done in CO HS recruiting is very admirable. I was hoping for Coulter as well, but still, if we get Bonnell, Spond and Jones, I say we have a solid CO class. Couple that with a good national class, and we'll be sitting well.

I completely agree. I would not be at all surprised if Spond ends up taking over Hinder by the final rankings, but sure, Hinder is the top prospect at this time. However, the job that Hawk and his staff have done in CO HS recruiting is very admirable. I was hoping for Coulter as well, but still, if we get Bonnell, Spond and Jones, I say we have a solid CO class. Couple that with a good national class, and we'll be sitting well.
I would much rather get the highly rated in-staters that do not play QB (or can play other positions in addition to QB). Not a knock against Hinder, but projecting QBs seems much more speculative than other positions. Just take a look a the NFL draft history. The QB position is not nearly as loaded with 5 star recurits as are the other positions. For this reason, I would like to see us take at least 2 QBs per class. Athletic QBs are good because the scholarship is not wasted if it turns out the kid cannot play quarterback at the college level. I liked that we picked up Moten, Evans and Spond.

IMO, QB is a numbers game - and I'm not referring to stars. With that said, I am not implying that stars do not matter so we don't need to have that discussion once again.

I completely agree. I would not be at all surprised if Spond ends up taking over Hinder by the final rankings, ....

Historically, the sooner you commit, the less likely your stars will go up again.

I still don't see how Hinder is the top recruit when he wasn't even the top QB on the west slope. I understand that he has a lot of offers and is impressive in camps, but he really should have been a dominating force in 3A ball.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Colorado rankings shift during the season as these guys enter their senior seasons with a lot to prove.

There has also been questions raised regarding his leadership ability based on his role at Steamboat HS, but I can't vouch for the credibility of that. But it does at least bring up a good point. Is he the unquestioned leader of that program?

I'm cautious at best on Hinder. Seeing Moten and Evans do their thing in the LA Harbor league is a whole different ball game vs. what Hinder has done at Steamboat. Tough to judge as the competition and coaching will be different. Hinder has certainly had the benefit of great personal coaching in the past and I'm sure he's attended every QB camp he could.

Leadership skills? Unknown.
Game Day skills? unknown.
Camp Skills? Very good
smarts? Very good.

There has also been questions raised regarding his leadership ability based on his role at Steamboat HS, but I can't vouch for the credibility of that. But it does at least bring up a good point. Is he the unquestioned leader of that program?

I'm cautious at best on Hinder. Seeing Moten and Evans do their thing in the LA Harbor league is a whole different ball game vs. what Hinder has done at Steamboat. Tough to judge as the competition and coaching will be different. Hinder has certainly had the benefit of great personal coaching in the past and I'm sure he's attended every QB camp he could.

Leadership skills? Unknown.
Game Day skills? unknown.
Camp Skills? Very good
smarts? Very good.

I'd add size and eye test to the "good" category, but it doesn't make me like him better than Spond or Evans or Moten.

I like our guys. Cody is solid if not spectacular (but has great intangibles), Hansen has the tools and some time to develop still, Clark could be amazing if his throwing motion gets fixed and/or faster, and who knows what could happen between Moten/Spond/walkons et al.

My biggest worry is someone stealing kiesau if he does well as OC this year. Our QBs need and deserve some (good) stability before we expect them to be better than average.

I hope we get Hinder, but I don't think he is the end all. It looks like we are taking 2 QBs this year (spond + X). We got some good offers out, and if Hinder goes out of state, oh well. Besides when Cody throws for 25 TD/3000 yds this year, QBs will be knocking down the door to get into our pro style offense :thumbsup: :smile2:

I don't know how the rest of you can say that you are glad we didn't get Hinder but I'm not certainly not.

I really don't understand the logic of saying how this kid would not have helped our program dramatically. He has a higher upside than any QB that has played here in a long time.

When was the last CU QB that had the kind of offers and interest that Hinder did? I'm going to guess it was sometime in the 90s, perhaps Kordell, I don't really know though.

I'm not faulting the staff for not getting him; it's fairly obvious he didn't really want to come here. I'm just saying it would have been a great get. Potential and stars and hype don't always end up resulting in an end product but a hell of a lot more guys that are getting attention like Hinder pan out than the constant influx of under-the-radar guys we are pulling in here.

I have high hopes for Clark Evans but, really, how long has the QB play at CU been mediocre? Pulling a blue chip with the potential to be a stud would be great.

I don't know how the rest of you can say that you are glad we didn't get Hinder but I'm not certainly not.

I really don't understand the logic of saying how this kid would not have helped our program dramatically. He has a higher upside than any QB that has played here in a long time.

When was the last CU QB that had the kind of offers and interest that Hinder did? I'm going to guess it was sometime in the 90s, perhaps Kordell, I don't really know though.

I'm not faulting the staff for not getting him; it's fairly obvious he didn't really want to come here. I'm just saying it would have been a great get. Potential and stars and hype don't always end up resulting in an end product but a hell of a lot more guys that are getting attention like Hinder pan out than the constant influx of under-the-radar guys we are pulling in here.

I have high hopes for Clark Evans but, really, how long has the QB play at CU been mediocre? Pulling a blue chip with the potential to be a stud would be great.

who said that? There all sorts of reasons getting Hinder would be good. I think the general consensus is that while it isn't GOOD we didn't get him, it isn't the end of the world either.

Count me as one who is pretty disappointed. This staff has struck out with the blue chip QB prospects and this continues that trend.

Count me as one who is pretty disappointed. This staff has struck out with the blue chip QB prospects and this continues that trend.
My view is...this staff has done a decent job recruiting considering the mediocre performance on the field.

To kick recruiting to the next level, and consistently land top-notch recruits, we need to win.....one more reason that this season is so important for the future of CU football.

No worries, though. We have the guaranteed 10 wins, babbbbbbyyyyyyyy!

who said that? There all sorts of reasons getting Hinder would be good. I think the general consensus is that while it isn't GOOD we didn't get him, it isn't the end of the world either.

:stupid:

I want this staff to land a blue chip QB. A blue chip QB on the field, not on Rivals.com. I would have been happy if we got Hinder, but frankly there are other QB prospects out there that I think have a better chance at being a blue chip on the field. The staff needs to focus their attentions on those guys...

I see Hinder as a boom or bust kinda guy. He has all the things you're looking for in a QB but can he get the job done? I'm looking forward to seeing it

I would much rather get the highly rated in-staters that do not play QB (or can play other positions in addition to QB). Not a knock against Hinder, but projecting QBs seems much more speculative than other positions. Just take a look a the NFL draft history. The QB position is not nearly as loaded with 5 star recurits as are the other positions. For this reason, I would like to see us take at least 2 QBs per class. Athletic QBs are good because the scholarship is not wasted if it turns out the kid cannot play quarterback at the college level. I liked that we picked up Moten, Evans and Spond.

IMO, QB is a numbers game - and I'm not referring to stars. With that said, I am not implying that stars do not matter so we don't need to have that discussion once again.

Hawk Love, you are a "Genius". It is a numbers game. The leading Big 12 Qb's were not 5* out of high school.

Irrespective of rating services. Danny Spond is the best "player" in Colorado this year.

Weren't Weisinger and Detmer top of the class when they signed?

Still, that was a long time ago, and I think everyone here does want to nab some top QB talent. I agree that QB is one position where development and system are more instrumental in making a great player than his pure talent. So, I'm not too upset about not getting Hinder, but yes, we need to get some QB help. The one thing I'm worried about is the staff's evaluation of talent thus far at the position. Cody and Hansen are decent, but we have yet to get someone that really elevates the position into a strength. Ballanger was supposed to do that, but didn't. Cody is...we have different opinions, but we all have to agree that he's not a difference maker. Hopefully Hansen develops or Moten/Evans really develop down the road. At this time though, the staff is 0-2 on QBs it has signed, potentially 0-3, hopefully 1-3 (Cody and Ballanger being the 0's and Hansen being a potential win.)

Re: '10 CO QB Austin Hinder (Committed to Cal)

He was all Cal from the beginning. I'm just glad he committed instead of dragging this out for months. I'm sure Hawk will stay on him, but we can go ahead and focus our efforts on other QB's.

Hawk Love, you are a "Genius". It is a numbers game. The leading Big 12 Qb's were not 5* out of high school.

Irrespective of rating services. Danny Spond is the best "player" in Colorado this year.
Wow. That's twice in one week that I have been called Genius. :lol:

Bummed he didn't stay in Colorado. I get pissed at Colorado kids that leave the state because I'm a bitter old man. However, it kind of strikes me, and I have no stats to back it up, that more great QB's are less highly regarded coming out of HS than the other way around.

The list of ****/***** QB recruits since 2002 or so that have been highly successful in college football is extremely long; too long to type out here. Most of the QB's (maybe all) that have won NC's recently were 4 star or 5 star.

I'm not going to act like I didn't want him just because he chose Cal. Besides, it's not like it's over anyway; he may have a change of heart.

Hinder's picking Cal starts QB carousel
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Posted by Greg Biggins

The commitment of quarterback Austin Hinder (Steamboat Springs, Colo.) to Cal could have an affect on a few other top signal callers out West as well as a few other Pac 10 programs in the running for an elite quarterback this year.

Hinder committing to the Bears was rumored to happen for months but is still a big pickup for Cal. Physically, Hinder has tremendous upside but will need time to develop and get stronger.

Cal has several talented quarterbacks already on the roster, which will give Hinder ample time to fill out and mature as a quarterback. Bear head coach Jeff Tedford is known as one of the best quarterback coaches in the country and in Hinder, he's getting a player that is already solid mechanically but just needs some tweaking to fulfill his vast potential.

More...

Cal, Tedford stockpiling Elite at QB
By Jonathan Okanes
Staff writer
Posted: 05/27/2009 06:28:48 PM PDT

College football programs typically aim to add one quarterback to their roster each year. Cal is making a habit of adding one top quarterback per year.

With the oral commitment earlier this week of Steamboat Springs, Colo., quarterback Austin Hinder, the Bears are on pace to have a gaggle of former prep All-America signal-callers in 2010. If they all remain at Cal, the Bears could have four players who were selected for the Elite 11 camp, an honor reserved for the best high school quarterbacks in the country.

"They are probably the only school that seems like every year they get an Elite 11 guy," ESPNRISE.com recruiting analyst Greg Biggins said. "They definitely have the most guys."

More...

Hinder chooses California
Local football player verbally commits to west coast university
By Luke Graham

Steamboat Springs High School junior quarterback Austin Hinder verbally committed to the University of California-Berkeley on Mon*day.

Hinder, who had narrowed his list of schools to Cal, UCLA and the University of Notre Dame, said after sitting on the decision during the weekend, he knew Cal was where his heart was.

More...

These articles depress me. I got excited to see a bunch of QB updates this morning until I realized we're not in the top 5 for ANY of them...WTF??

Which 2010 QBs do we have a realistic shot at at this point?

We'll be fine, one of the recruiting services says we still have all these kids on our radar -

Alex Hart
Jake Johnson
Xavian Johnson
Steve Kaiser
Colby Kirkegaard
Mike Massey
Mike McNamara
Kyle Miller
Jacob Morgan
Bubba Starling
Zach Thenell

:thumbsup: