1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'10 JUCO SF Stephen Rogers (Signed to BYU)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Buffnik, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Mesa C.C. (Mesa, AZ) / Mountain View H.S. (Mesa, AZ)

3 years to play 3

AAU Team: Arizona Magic (during high school)

Ht: 6-foot-8
    Wt: 185 lbs

Rivals rating: NR
    Scout rating: NR (2006)
    ESPN rating: not in database

Reported Offers: Utah, Utah State, Wichita State / originally Arizona State (committed in 2006)

2. Buffnik

Rogers originally committed to Arizona State out of high school in 2006. After redshirting a year, he went on a 2-year Morman mission. Upon returning, he played his RS-Freshman season at Mesa C.C., where he averaged 21 points and 7 rebounds. He is looking to transfer back to a D1 program. While CU has not offered yet, we are in contact with Rogers.

"It was a great season for me, I enjoyed it a lot," he said. "I was our Player of the Year, I earned first-team all-conference and all-region honors and I was the MVP of the conference tournament."

Rivals article

Rogers was known as a sharp shooting, face-the-basket PF out of high school. He played SF this year, though, and believes the height advantage he enjoys over most college 3s works for him.

3. Buffnik

Rogers profile on Rivals shows an offer from Utah State. However, a blog entry from the USU beat writer for the Salt Lake Tribune said yesterday that they are over the scholarship limit. A source close to the USU program reported that Rogers "can really score the basketball".

http://blogs.sltrib.com/usu/index.php?p=13139&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

4. Buffnik

Rogers was majoring in Business at Mesa C.C.

Here were his game stats this past season:

FT %: 81%
    FG %: 49%
    3-pt FG%: 40%
    Rebs: 5.5
    Assts: 1.5
    Steals: 1.3
    Blocks: 7.3
    Turnovers: 2.6

http://njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1246&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=91916&athleteid=284899

That "Blocks" stat doesn't look right to me, but that's what was reported. Rivals reported 7 rebounds per game. Maybe "Blocks" and "Rebounds" got transposed on the NJCAA site. Even so, if he's anywhere close to 5-7 Blocks per game, this guy has some quick ups and great hand-eye coordination. Let's hope. Interesting prospect. We could definitely use a scorer from the "3" who can also play the "4" while giving us rebounds and blocked shots.

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I'm not really that high on this kid, he seems just like Keegan.

6. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

I thought the same thing at first glance, but he's getting more respect as a scorer that Keegan did. Size wise he sounds a lot like Dufault when he first came here.

7. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

8. Buffnik

He actually fits the system very well.

While we need to improve the athleticism and toughness of our frontcourt (better rebounding, more blocked or altered shots, better post defense, better rotations), we can't forget our identity. We are one of the best shooting teams in the country from the field and the foul line. We are about offensive efficiency.

I like Rogers for CU. I say that with the stipulation that he's being recruited to play the 3, not the 4. As a SF, he gives us a rebounding and shot blocking advantage in addition to his offensive game.

As a 4, he becomes a defensive and rebounding liability in the same mold as what we saw in 2009-10. So if that's where they see him I'm opposed to going that direction.

9. Buffnik

10. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

That's a good thing for him. Somebody who can really score the toaster oven wouldn't really be worth that much to anybody.... :rolling_eyes:

11. Buffnik

Rogers signed with BYU. Likely a dream school for him.