1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'10 NE DT Ron Coleman

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Omaha North H.S. (Omaha, NE)

Ht: 6-foot-0
    Wt: 250 lbs
    40:

Rivals rating: 2*; unranked DT
    Scout rating: NR MLB
    ESPN rating: NR MLB

2. Buffnik

Coleman was Class A (largest class) All-State in Nebraska this year as a Runningback: http://www.sandhillsexpress.com/Home/SandillsExpressArticleContent/tabid/95/smid/384/ArticleID/1161/reftab/36/t/Omaha-World-Herald-announces-All-State-football-selections/Default.aspx

The Omaha-World Herald named him captain of the All-Metro team and had this to say:

It still is still a wonder that no D-1A football program has offered Ron Coleman. The stud from Omaha North has put together quite a career on the gridiron and on the mat. He will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the finest Nebraska high school athletes of all-time. Perhaps the wrestling mat is where Coleman will find his glory at the next level. But I sure would like to see how “The Legend” would develop on the college football field!

http://myhitnews.com/2009/12/12/omaha-world-herald-releases-2009-all-metro-football-team/

He's a top wrestling prospect who has won 3 straight state titles heading into his senior year and hasn't lost a match since his sophomore year:

http://www.journalstar.com/sports/high-school/wrestling/article_422291bc-fb3f-11de-887f-001cc4c002e0.html

3. Buffnik

Unconfirmed report that he may be visiting this weekend. Adam at Rivals is investigating. I'l link a report as soon as someone publishes a visitors list.

4. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Nothing new here??

5. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

Great Fullback prospect if you need one.

6. Buffnik

We don't. The thought was more that we would bulk him up to DT like we did with Hypolite (top FB out of high school). It looks like we'll have a little time to develop a DT.

7. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He even looks a little like The Rabid Goldfish

Any word on whether he was on campus?

8. Buffnik

No one has reported that he was on campus. Could have been a false alarm. Or it could be that the CU coaches are doing a good job of hiding him.

9. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

Only problem at DT is that he is only 5'11"(being kind). That is why NU didn't take him as a DT. Also didn't appear to have the speed to play LB or he would fit nicely there. Quite the 'tweener for such a good athlete and apparently a pretty good egg.

10. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

prolly go on to wrestle at the next level - seems to be very accomplished as a grappler.

11. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

How tall is Curtis Cunningham? Isn't he only 6'0 or so? I wouldn't mind taking a short DT, especially one that is a dominant wrestler. The lack of height can sometimes help a DT with leverage.

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

DT's dont need to be tall.. they just need to have long arms. In fact being to tall can be bad since they have issues with leverage then.

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Wrestlers are normally good on defense since they're usually good tacklers. Wouldn't mind landing this guy, but I wonder if he's ready and willing to give up on the second sport.

14. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Gotta think he is going to wrestle at the next level. Grades don't seem to be an issue as he is looking at ND and Northwestern. The schools he is looking at are top notch wrestling schools (Iowas, Northwestern, etc.) It is impossible to wrestle and play football at the high D1 level. Time commitments for both are too great. Wrestling programs are not going to waste scholarship dollars, which are very limited, on somebody that might play football. Conversely, I believe even if he takes a wrestling scholarship and if he goes out for football, the scholarship counts against the FB team as well. Don't know the NCAA particulars.

15. White_Rabbit

True, T-Rex is no good :lol:

16. Darth Snow

:doh: Godzilla you moron!

17. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

Big difference between this statement and being too short. 6' isn't tall, but it isn't too short either. 5'9-5'10" is probabaly too short to be in the middle of a mass of humanity(unless you are a fullback:))

18. Darth Snow

what is the difference if you are wide enough and strong enough between 5'10" and 6'0? You are more likely to have longer arms at 6'0.. but thats all I understand.

19. White_Rabbit

Godzilla wtf! Mike Mayock always calls guys that are tall, but have short arms, T-Rex :lol: unfortunately Coleman isn't tall. Maybe he has abnormally long arms for a guy his size though?

20. Buffnik

[​IMG]

Ron Coleman of Omaha North looks to the heavens after his second period pinning of Creighton Prep's Jeff Uher in the Class A 285-pound championship. “It was just like, ‘I'm done. It's over. I won,” the four-time champion said of his last match. “I've been wrestling since I was 2 and now it's all over.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100220/HIGHSCHOOLS/702209787

Still uncommitted. Be nice to get Coleman to walk on. I was thinking that someone's going to offer at least a partial ride in wrestling, but his quote made it seem like he's moving on from wrestling.