What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

’10 NJ DT Chris Woods

AlferdJasper

NJ FOOTBALL 2009: Chris Woods of East Orange Campus is Essex Player of the Year

Rivals
Scout
ESPN

169603.jpg
47390.jpg

677226.jpg
677225.jpg

High school
East Orange, New Jersey
East Orange High School

Ht: 6'2"
Weight 315 lbs.

Vertical Jump 24.1"
40-yd dash 5.68
20-yd shuttle 5.44
Power ball throw 32'

Rivals rating: none listed
Scout rating: Pos Rank: #137
ESPN rating: Position rank DT # 194

From Scout “East Ultimate 100 competition” story, June 2009
The defensive tackle position in particular was loaded on Sunday and the big bodies in attendance were generally much more than the offensive linemen could handle. One of the biggest and easily one of the best defensive linemen was East Orange, N.J. tackle Chris Woods. Woods is a massive, space-eating nose that measured in at 6-0, 340 pounds.
[video=youtube;iOZYa0U48lk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZYa0U48lk[/video]

If he can get himself academically qualified, he would be the steal of this recruiting class.

is this guy big ed all over again?

Definitely a late qualifier and a risk. But he's also a guy that was recruited by a lot of top programs (Alabama and Boston College both wanted him as a 34 NT).

If donmac is right about him like he was about Terrel Smith, then it looks like Woods is on a plane to CU along with his mom. If we offer tomorrow, he is expected to sign.

[video=youtube;RMHu48Net54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHu48Net54[/video]

[video=youtube;iOZYa0U48lk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZYa0U48lk&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;v7t3nwAbUHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7t3nwAbUHk[/video]

Wasn't he committed to BC at one point?

That's the word. But he didn't have a qualifying SAT/GPA ratio so they moved on.

Not sure he will qualify. Very borderline.

Also, I found a Scout article that mentioned that he's an avid weight lifter. From almost a year ago, he was reporting a bench press of 415 and a squat of over 600 lbs. And he's still only 17 years old.

checked: Boston college had 4 freshmen at DT on last season's roster, and one senior DT, so it wasn't a position of primary need for them this cycle. (they didn't take any.)
They got a great recruiting class, -- I figure when it looked sketchy for Woods to qualify, they moved on to another player and didn't check back.http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1053168

Woods looks like a contributor to me. Great find. I hope it works out.

If qualifying is close it may be worth looking at as a grayshirt deal. Take a little more time to get him qualified and then bring him in. We finally have some depth at the DT position but this guy looks like he could be the real deal. You don't often find that kind of size and still have athletic ability. He could turn into a guy who changes how offenses have to think against us.

I think it's the old story: we believe he is qualified, we now have to hope they offer, he accepts and that CU admissions sees its way to admit him.

Take the risk. But we need to be prepared for some academic casualties from this class. Probably more than last year.

I must admit that this whole NJ Pipeline and this DonMac guy is befuddling.... All these guys are studs on film. Tony Jones plays for the Mythical National Champions, is their top weapon, and doesn't have any other D1 committable offers. The Safety (Terrel Smith) may have been overlooked due to his size, so I get that. But this huge DT stood out at several big camps. I had a hard time believing Tony Jones could qualify because why else would he not have 10 offers? Ditto this guy. It's really odd. Not to mention this DonMac guy knows that Smith was visiting and would commit on his visit and that this DT is visiting.... Bizarre to say the least.

the DT is a huuge academic risk. Really don't see him getting in. Would be happy of 2 of the 3 NJ kids make it.

JUCO or Prep School, most likely. But now CU is on his radar. Could work out well for everyone. I doubt we're going to see him in Boulder next year.

Made an unofficial visit to CU this week. Could be a late addition to the 2010 class if he improves his SAT score. Maybe a grayshirt while he gets a couple things in order like Moten did. More likely, he'll spend a year at a prep school and we'll have a good shot at him for the 2011 class.

Back