What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 NJ RB Tony Jones (Signed to Colorado)

Excellent news. Seems like he is committed to working hard and has the natural gifts. We all know you don't have to be 6'2 220 to be a top notch RB. Can't wait to see him burst through the line and then run away from people.

The Denver Post's Natalie Meisler had a nice blurb on Jones in her column this morning:

Did the Buffs come away with another "Speedy" Stewart steal? On paper it appears that way with CU landing 5-8, 178-pound running back Tony Jones of Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.). Stewart didn't make many waves when he signed in 2008 as a 5-6, 170-pound running back from Ohio. Stewart led the Buffs with 804 yards and nine TDs last season.

Jones rushed for nearly 1,400 yards on a mythical national prep champion, according to numerous polls. The Catholic school features a diverse metropolitan enrollment. Jones has already played on ESPN (at Alabama Prattville) and beat California perennial national power De La Salle.

It could be an invaluable toehold for CU. Bosco athletic director Nunzio Campanile said ex-Buffs defensive backs coach Greg Brown knew Bosco assistant Bill Tierney for the initial contact.

"It's big for our kids to see one of ours in that part of the country play in the Big 12," Campanile said.

And as far as the typical question of the sturdiness of a sub 6-foot, 200-pound back, Campanile said, "He will be an every-down back."

Tony talks about his upcoming official visit to CU this weekend in a new Rivals article.

I liked this quote from one of the Rivals analysts:

"I love Tony Jones as a player," said Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell. "He may be short and lack great size, but he has a powerful lower body, he runs with an attitude and anger and he is very shifty.

"I honestly think he has a chance to be a huge surprise in college like Ray Rice was at Rutgers or Steve Slaton was at West Virginia and Colorado could have landed the surprise of the 2010 class. If he was three inches taller and had better grades, he's a 40 offer kid."

There is no truth to the rumors that Tony Jones was de-committing from CU. :thumbsup:

I don't think it was reported here, but there had been some talk that Boston College and others were trying to pry Jones away from us. Ain't gonna happen. He'll be a Buff tomorrow.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1047331

"Tony is definitely still committed to Colorado and is going to sign with them tomorrow," confirmed Coach Greg Toal. "There is no question about that."

The Rivals article also had some insight into his recruiting and why he didn't have more offers:

"The schools on him early were Boston College and Michigan. Boston College was concerned about his academics because they wanted him to be better than just a qualifier. Their standards are a little higher. So that was the problem there.

"And then Michigan told him, 'Hey, we have a scholarship for you but we need you to commit to us now or we are going to go to the next guy'. Tony wasn't ready to do that. He said, 'I'm not ready to make that commitment yet'. So they moved on."

BC trying to one up huh??!? Have they seen our team GPA?!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad Tony isn't going anywhere, if he can make the grades I think he'll be a great addition to the class.

Back