What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

104.7 Sports Radio

Most of the Pac-12 teams suffer from the same problem.

Only three of the teams play in a state without a NFL team (U of U, OSU, UO).

Two more teams play in areas that aren't shared expressly with an NFL team (U of A, Wazzu), but have their fan bases primarily in major markets (Phx and Seattle).

I honestly couldn't tell you how much the Portland radio talks about the Ducks, but I know from living in the Bay Area for a time that KNBR doesn't touch the Card or Bears really at all. Giants, Warriors, Niners dominate airtime, and Stanford has been elite for more than half a decade (and generally respectable or better for a century). They mention the time and opponent in the games of the weekend, but that's about it.

Denver, San Francisco, LA, Seattle share the issue touched on above- they're full of people who didn't grow up there, probably didn't go to school there, and even if the first two are true, don't care about CFB as much as the NFL. Denver is full of transplanted midwesterners with CFB loyalties, just not to the Buffs.

That said, once the power balance evens back out from the current lopsided position- the Broncos just won the Superbowl and the Buffs were god-awful and have been generally for a decade)- there's no reason why the Buffs can't have more airtime.
I don't think it has any bearing on the points that many people are making, but having lived in Portland for 8 years- up until Blazers season starts talk radio is pretty much ALL Ducks/Beavs, ALL the time. They sprinkle in some talk about the Seahawks, but not much.

Most of the Pac-12 teams suffer from the same problem.

Only three of the teams play in a state without a NFL team (U of U, OSU, UO).

Two more teams play in areas that aren't shared expressly with an NFL team (U of A, Wazzu), but have their fan bases primarily in major markets (Phx and Seattle).

I honestly couldn't tell you how much the Portland radio talks about the Ducks, but I know from living in the Bay Area for a time that KNBR doesn't touch the Card or Bears really at all. Giants, Warriors, Niners dominate airtime, and Stanford has been elite for more than half a decade (and generally respectable or better for a century). They mention the time and opponent in the games of the weekend, but that's about it.

Denver, San Francisco, LA, Seattle share the issue touched on above- they're full of people who didn't grow up there, probably didn't go to school there, and even if the first two are true, don't care about CFB as much as the NFL. Denver is full of transplanted midwesterners with CFB loyalties, just not to the Buffs.

That said, once the power balance evens back out from the current lopsided position- the Broncos just won the Superbowl and the Buffs were god-awful and have been generally for a decade)- there's no reason why the Buffs can't have more airtime.

In LA, even with thousands of USC/UCLA alums in the area and thousands more claiming allegiance, the radio talk is about 70% Lakers, 20% Dodgers, and 10% assorted NFL/NCAA football talk. College football gets little attention other than an interview with the USC or UCLA head coach now and then. Now that the Rams are back, it's up to about 30-40% Rams talk this time of year, depending on the show, but still little to no college football.

First bold - IMO, the game day experience in Boulder the past 4 years has been pretty piss poor, with the exception of a few marquee, prime time games. On multiple occasions, I remember walking through The Hill, going to Half Fast for a Strong Island and then walking to the game and it being completely dead 30-45 minutes prior to kick off. The product on the field is obviously the main issue, but even during the Hawkins era, we partied our faces off every game day... then we'd go watch us lose. The game day atmosphere needs to get much better and I think it will, starting this season.

Second Bold - Do parents really want their families exposed to all those foul-mouthed, drunken, low class fans at Buffs games??
Yeah, but half our F-M, D, L-C fans are cute co-eds; rather than construction workers/tattoo palour refugees from East Colfax!!!

To reiterate why we don't want these yokels covering CU.

Listening to Vic and some fill-in guy on my drive home. They were lauding CSU for the whole institution being on the same page with moving football forward (academics are NOT ok with what is going on up there) and saying CU doesn't have that (maybe true).

Then proceeded to talk about how CU has no chance at competing in the P5 again because of that lack of support and because the facilities are so bad. No, they somehow didn't realize that CU had just finished what has to be considered one of the Top 10 or 15 football facilities in the entire country.

Luckily they spent the next segment talking to George Karl for some reason.

To reiterate why we don't want these yokels covering CU.

Listening to Vic and some fill-in guy on my drive home. They were lauding CSU for the whole institution being on the same page with moving football forward (academics are NOT ok with what is going on up there) and saying CU doesn't have that (maybe true).

Then proceeded to talk about how CU has no chance at competing in the P5 again because of that lack of support and because the facilities are so bad. No, they somehow didn't realize that CU had just finished what has to be considered one of the Top 10 or 15 football facilities in the entire country.

Luckily they spent the next segment talking to George Karl for some reason.
Vic has been up since they upgraded so no excuse.

they will be losing this year, the Bronco talk will die down.

No. That would only cause a different Broncos conversation. Maybe even increased conversation. I do think that a win at Michigan would get the Buffs more than our normal amount of air time, though.

they will be losing this year, the Bronco talk will die down.
erroneous.png

36 hours of Broncos Pregame talk. Little much dont you think.
Should change call letters KKFN to KKDB, more Broncos than the Fan.
A fan represents a diverse selection of sports. I get the Broncos move the needle though (follow the money)

A fan represents a diverse selection of sports. I get the Broncos move the needle though (follow the money)

The high point of the Broncos media obsession has to be when they showed up at Elway's house on Halloween to report on what kind of candy he was giving out. I'm not sure that can be topped, but I hold out hope.

P.S. It was Reese's Cups & Mini Kit-Kats, for any of the Donk-obsessed who didn't know and needed to find out what you need to make your favorite candy.

Last edited:
says guy who specifically designates Basketball as his Buff sport per his handle

The high point of the Broncos media obsession has to be when they showed up at Elway's house on Halloween to report on what kind of candy he was giving out. I'm not sure that can be topped, but I hold out hope.

P.S. It was Reese's Cups & Mini Kit-Kats, for any of the Donk-obsessed who didn't know and needed to find out what you need to make your favorite candy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Reese's and Kit-Kats

If they are good enough for Elway better buy some.

760, 950 and 1340 all sprinkle in more diverse Denver sports talk. I rarely, if ever, tune into 104.3 anymore. They regurgitate the same stuff over and over again. Plus they have folks like Mike Evans and DMac which add little to the conversation. They seem to have no inside information or no original thoughts. I think they may just scan ESPiN and other news sources for headlines to talk about. Pretty blah.

760, 950 and 1340 all sprinkle in more diverse Denver sports talk. I rarely, if ever, tune into 104.3 anymore. They regurgitate the same stuff over and over again. Plus they have folks like Mike Evans and DMac which add little to the conversation. They seem to have no inside information or no original thoughts. I think they may just scan ESPiN and other news sources for headlines to talk about. Pretty blah.

Unfortunately being on the fringes of Denver radion reception I often don't have much choice.

Mark Schlereth said today, and I sort of quote, "I am a huge CU fan. I'm a "Buff for Life." I kind of think he didn't really mean that and it was some sort of back handed jab.

Mark Schlereth said today, and I sort of quote, "I am a huge CU fan. I'm a "Buff for Life." I kind of think he didn't really mean that and it was some sort of back handed jab.
Interesting. Didn't he go to Idaho? Maybe he's got something against Idaho State... :)

Schlareth openly admits he doesn't have time to watch college football, probably not the best resourcez

In fact that might not be a bad idea. RG should have a local media "appreciation" day, and get all those radio guys and the local sports guys up to Folsom for hookers and blow. Then and only then, Let them experience actually experience CU football.

FIFY!

Back