What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA CB Stefan McClure (Signed to Cal)

Heard that Willingham is all over him to go where he goes.

That's interesting. My dream scenario right now is that Willingham is actually an unannounced CU commit and he switched to a Michigan trip this week for the sole purpose of recruiting McClure to Boulder. :smile2:

That's interesting. My dream scenario right now is that Willingham is actually an unannounced CU commit and he switched to a Michigan trip this week for the sole purpose of recruiting McClure to Boulder. :smile2:
From what I've been reading it sounds plausible.

I suppose the nightmare scenario then would be that Kellen Jones successfully recruited Willingham to Michigan and now Willingham is paying it forward by trying to lock up McClure. Like your dream scenario better though.

He is visiting Michigan this weekend.

By the way, just took a look at Michigan's recruiting class for this year, and by my count they already have at least four DBs committed. I don't see that as being the place to be if a kid is looking for early playing time. If UCLA make a splash hire, like Randy Shannon on the defensive coaching staff, they will probably get him. However, we might be able to make one last push for him.

McClure will not be a Buff and I doubt McClure/Willingham end up playing ball at the same school.

McClure's final five: Boise State, Cal, Michigan, Oregon State, and UCLA. My guess is UCLA in the end.

He must have liked Ambrose alot. But No problem, i am happy with the CBs that comitedto Colorado.

Knew McClure was not coming here for a while, but he is still a big loss. He would have played early here IMO.

I thought this was a no no? (Coach pulling recruits.)

I think it was different in this case because Ambrose did not just jump ship on his own and also McClure has not been seriously considering CU for a while now.

McClure didn't commit to CU, so Ambrose didn't "pull" him. The kid was still open and has made his choice, good luck to him (except when they play the Buffs).

So no verbal is fair game? I'm just trying to get a feel for the etiquette.

Sounds 'bout right. I know there are staffs/coaches that will continue to pursue a young player even after they have committed to another school. Snydley Whiplash as kjsu is a prime example, and I remember Belotti doing it too while at oregano U.

I think (jmho) it gets a little more dicey when a coach leaves school A for school B, and tries to convince the kids he recruited (to A) to follow him (to B). I believe that's where the "pull" controversy lies.

Anyone out there willing to chime in? I certainly don't claim to be an expert at this -- just giving info I've heard over the years.

Sounds 'bout right. I know there are staffs/coaches that will continue to pursue a young player even after they have committed to another school. Snydley Whiplash as kjsu is a prime example, and I remember Belotti doing it too while at oregano U.

I think (jmho) it gets a little more dicey when a coach leaves school A for school B, and tries to convince the kids he recruited (to A) to follow him (to B). I believe that's where the "pull" controversy lies.

Anyone out there willing to chime in? I certainly don't claim to be an expert at this -- just giving info I've heard over the years.

Pretty much every staff in the country continues to recruits kids that are committed to other schools. With verbals coming earlier and earlier, it would be foolish not to keep recruiting "committed" kids all the way to signing day.

Your second scenario is where it gets dicey.

So what role if any did Ambrose play in this. Do you guys think we would have gotten him if we had kept Ambrose.

Last edited:
Pretty much every staff in the country continues to recruits kids that are committed to other schools. With verbals coming earlier and earlier, it would be foolish not to keep recruiting "committed" kids all the way to signing day.

Your second scenario is where it gets dicey.

I don't know, if a kid has given a verbal but the guy he's developed a relationship with moves on, I wouldn't blame him for moving on with him.

I don't know, if a kid has given a verbal but the guy he's developed a relationship with moves on, I wouldn't blame him for moving on with him.

If he gets fired, maybe. If the guy leaves for greener pastures, that's where it sucks. If a team has locked down a commitment from a player, they generally stop recruiting other options at that position. If a guy moves to a new program late in the process and takes players with him, the former team has not only lost a coach, but they are seriously behind the gun in terms of replacing those players in the class. All of the comparable guys will have moved on to other schools and you're left scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a replacement.

So what role if any did Ambrose play in this. Do you guys think we would have gotten him if we had kept Ambrose.

No. Ambrose helped wrap him up for Cal, but we were out of the running a while ago, with or without Ambrose.

Generally the assistant will allow the kid to contact him in that situation, not the other way around. No doubt it gets murky.

Back