What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA K Jake Van Ginkel (Signed to Boise State)

Re: '11 CA K Jake Van Ginkel

Disagree,

Kid is interested in CU, poster is his father. Final decision is between the kid and the coaches but I welcome his interest and that of his father.

I am not in a position to evaluate Jake as a player but based on our kicking game recently and the reports in the media I for one, would welcome him here.

I would also say that if we as a society had more fathers who took an active interest in their kids lives as 7Rock does (and not just Jake) we would be a lot better off.

Disagree,

Kid is interested in CU, poster is his father. Final decision is between the kid and the coaches but I welcome his interest and that of his father.

I am not in a position to evaluate Jake as a player but based on our kicking game recently and the reports in the media I for one, would welcome him here.

I would also say that if we as a society had more fathers who took an active interest in their kids lives as 7Rock does (and not just Jake) we would be a lot better off.

The :smile2: should have tipped you off that slider was being sarcastic. Just sayin'.

Apparently I was out buying Spam. :cool:

Looking at Jake, that's not what I would guess you've been feeding him... :lol:

Thanks for the updates, and congrats to Jake and his team. Good luck to them in the finals. :thumbsup:

The :smile2: should have tipped you off that slider was being sarcastic. Just sayin'.

I should have caught that, I was slipping a post in between doing real work and trying to get out the door and home before the roads got to busy.

By the way, he looks like he could do some damage to anyone trying to return any of his punts or KOs.

Last edited:

Apparently I was out buying Spam. :cool:

pfft. Ignore... That's some of our posters' standard response to anything.

Glad to see Jake is doing well this season.

Watching the last few games (which CU hasn't played in), kicking continues to be a huge part of the game.

If people start referring to him as Ripped Van Ginkel I swear I'm going postal. :lol:

Gotta admit, that was pretty funny. :lol:

My first cousin, who was my best friend growing up, is Rick Van Ginkel........which sounds just like Rip Van Winkle.

I've added a link to the ESPN profile on Jake. They have put them on their 150 Watch List for 2011. :thumbsup:

Per Rivals

Upland, Calif., kicker Jake Van Ginkel said he's hearing from about 40 schools but that he'd prefer to stay local - with Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona and Washington topping his list.

Per Rivals

Upland, Calif., kicker Jake Van Ginkel said he's hearing from about 40 schools but that he'd prefer to stay local - with Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona and Washington topping his list.

Washington, Colorado and Boise St. are all high on his list right now, but it doesn`t appear that Colorado is in the market for a K/P any longer.

Washington, Colorado and Boise St. are all high on his list right now, but it doesn`t appear that Colorado is in the market for a K/P any longer.

It would be tough with such a small recruiting class for 2011 (probably 15-18 guys). If Jake told the coaches he was willing to grayshirt, that may go a long way. We've got a lot of openings for the 2012 class (24 and counting).

I know that the USC hopes may have died with them getting a kicker commitment this week. Best of luck to you guys wherever Jake ends up.

Thanks guys.

Travel to Boulder for games sure would have been a piece of cake.

Not only that, but with the move to the Pac 12, CU would probably be coming to you at least once a year.

:nod: Cannot have too many kickers.

in seriousness, the problem with the way they play Kirkwood (not at all) and Castor (sparingly) means we have little idea what they'll be like next year. Our punting is the worst in the Big12, but we are told our punter may end being one of the all-time greats. >>shrug<<

It's a total guess, and the new staff won't have time to evaluate the current kids through game tape, since there won't be much.

Last edited:
Jake Van Ginkel, Sr., K/P, Upland HS, was named to the
All-Baseline League football team, first team, offense as K/P

http://www.insidesocal.com/sb/fowler/2010/12/all-baseline_league_football_t_2.html#more

Not sure if Jake was still holding out for an offer from USC, but they have extended one to another K/P: the Trojans already have received a verbal commitment from Andre Heidari of Bakersfield Stockdale High, a senior regarded by some as the nation's top kicking prospect.

(I wouldn't go so far as to call Hedari the top anything prospect, but USC likes him.) :huh:

In a strange twist, some rumblings at USC that Jake would have been their top guy as the next Trojan kicker, but they went with Andre Heidari (who -- unbelievably -- is NOT his own high school's starting kicker!) because Heidari was able to Enroll Early, and USC needed to take a kicker early due to NCAA sanctions.

Van Ginkle's Senior season stats (According to Maxpreps, only as reliable as the volunteer sending them in.)

Punting:
number of punts: 23
avg distance: 36.17
longest punt 53

Kickoffs:
47 of his 65 kickoffs this season were touchbacks

He made 13 field goals; stats don't say how many were attempted.

11/24/10 Sets CA state record for career field goals

ESPN Rise says:
Jake Van Ginkel, Upland (Upland, Calif.)
He wasted no time in breaking the state record for career field goals as he kicked four in a 41-38 playoff victory over Los Osos. With the four field goals, Van Ginkel has kicked 13 on the year and 38 for his career as he can continue to increase the record with every field goal the rest of the postseason.

57864.jpg

I just get the feeling that this guy is going to be a very good college player. CU has a very limited number of schollies this year and already has schollies tied up on kickers but if somehow Jake ends up in Boulder I think it could be a very good thing for him and the Buffs.

To be even-handed, his high school stats aren't any better than the guys we have on the roster now, but he's a solid player who started for four years in a competitive conference.

He made last year's all-conference team (or maybe southern all-state, I can't figure out California's system for naming all-star teams) as a punter. Which could be a good thing, since it gives us options.

small class or not, we're graduating a kicker and if this kid is that good he's worth the scholarship. Giving schollies to walk-ons after they're here hasn't worked all that well for us. Let's lock down a kicker and fix a glaring weakness. Half-decent place kicking and we win two more games this year, and maybe three more games last year.

Jake Van Ginkel is taking an official visit to Boise State on January 14.

BSU had a kicker lined up, but he decommitted to take Michigan's offer, so Van Ginkel now at the top of Boise's list.

linky premium scout

As one of the top uncommitted kickers this cycle, if they offer, Van Ginkel may well take it, although he earlier said he was hoping for a Pac12 school.

Haven't seen his official senior stats yet, but here's a look at Van Ginkel's junior year:
As a junior, Van Ginkel was solid, posting a 40.2-yard net on his 45 punts while dropping four inside the 20 and hit 16 of his 20 field goal attempts, with a long of 58.

Last edited:
Back