1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'11 CA PG T.J. Taylor (Signed to UC-Santa Barbara)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Buffnik, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN

[​IMG]
    Oakland H.S. (Oakland, CA)

AAU: Oakland Rebels

Ht: 5-foot-9
    Wt: 160 lbs

Rivals rating: NR
    Scout rating: 2*, unranked
    ESPN rating: 1*- 79 grade; #121 PG

Reported Offers: Boise State, Portland State, San Diego State, San Francisco, Santa Clara, UC-Santa Barbara, Weber State

2. Buffnik

I don't care if he's somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10". This guy can ****ing ball and Boyle's offense will be exciting as hell if Taylor's in the lineup for us. He's deadly from outside, will take anyone off the dribble, and has incredible vision/handle/passing/court sense.

I'm extremely fired up about this prospect. Do yourself a favor and check out the 2 minute video:

[video=youtube;ycrWCZlM2AM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrWCZlM2AM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrWCZlM2AM[/video]

3. Buffnik

Cali High Sports has a great profile on Taylor. They rank him as the #12 prospect from the state of California this year. He was formerly a Santa Clara commit, but he has opened it back up and lists CU in his top 3.

Cali High Profile

Here's the concluding paragraph of Taylor's Cali High profile, but the whole thing is definitely worth the read:

"Taylor has the talent to play high level D-1 and be a major factor at the next level. He has great guard skills and is a fiery competitor. All the schools giving Taylor sincere interest are schools that haven't tasted NCAA tournament play recently but adding a guy like Taylor could help those schools end their playoff drought. You win games with guys like T.J Taylor."

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I don't his outside shot at all, his point of release is way to low and he is going to get stuffed all the time by 6-3 guards that will be guarding him, unless he is wide open. He does a good job of taking contact with his body and still getting a shot off (Burks) and is super quick and has a nasty crossover. It will be interesting to see what happens if he grows at least 5 inches.

5. Buffnik

Release point's easy to change, tante. But even if he's releasing high, a 6'3" guard will still block his shot all day. I look at it as him being able to drill an open jumper on a pull up or kick out. Also, he's a true point guard. The accuracy from long range is going to force his defender to play up on him and very few guys will be quick enough to do that and not have him blow past them.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I'm usually opposed to recruiting under-sized basketball players at the level of competition that CU plays, but I see so much with this prospect that I'm going against my MO and am very high on him. I think he'd make a great Buff.

6. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

If he can take folks off the dribble, his height wont be much of an issue. He can get open looks because of it in several ways. He can go to the bucket, pull up, or just get an open look because defenders are worried about the drive. Ty Lawson type of point in other words.

7. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I don't know if it is easy to change his release point, but I really can't argue that even if it is high, it will still get blocked. This guy seems like a TJ we saw a few years ago (TJ Ford) from Texas.

8. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Well if this TJ can play in the NBA some, Im sure he is good enough for CU.

9. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree that by the time you're a junior in HS, your shooting motion is generally your shooting motion. Sure, there are little tweaks you can make here and there, but the vast majority of players are going to stick with what they've developed. There are exceptions sure, but I think this kid's release point will stay the same.

I also agree on recruiting under-sized bball players. They better be really good in order to be worthy of a schollie. If I were a coach, I'd recruit 5'11" and up.

10. Buffnik

11. Buffnik

Taylor chose Santa Barbara. He'll be a nice player for them.