What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA WR Nelson Spruce (Signed to Colorado)

I don't see a slot receiver when I look at his film. Don't make the mistake of a Scotty comparison. If you want to compare him to a white WR, think Jordan Shipley. For a Buff comparison, maybe McCoy.

Boulder Buff? Valdezj? What do you guys think?

Well, I'm not those guys, but I think he looks more like an eric Decker...

Woo should compliment Lucien... IMO he doesn't appear to have top-flight speed. Should make for a good possession WR

WR out of Minnesota. drafted by the donkeys in the 3rd i believe.

Thanks.....personally, I would completely run away from the donks at this point...even though I have been a fan since 1973.....

I don't see a slot receiver when I look at his film. Don't make the mistake of a Scotty comparison. If you want to compare him to a white WR, think Jordan Shipley. For a Buff comparison, maybe McCoy.

The first guy that came to mind is Darrin Chiaverini.

If he can be even half the WR Darren was, he's going to be a good one.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;cx9WWaKQk5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9WWaKQk5s[/video]

gladiator music Ftw!! :lol:

Well....if he is complimented with a ton of speed, ok. Otherwise, do you remember Dusty Sprague...and the end arounds? No.....
I'm thinking this kid is going to be a little bit better than Sprague was, but who knows. I'm not an expert.

EDIT: You are correct about the speed part though. I always forgot how quick DC was. The main thing I do remember about Darrin was his hands. The kid caught every damn ball thrown his way. Under-thrown, overthrown, the kid caught everything.

Last edited:
Decker is almost 4 inches taller....

it was just what type of receiver he was. IF this kid comes anywhere near Decker in production (or height :smile2:) It would be fanstastic. He just doesn't have the speed of a shipley type, but he has good body control. Looks very much like a solid possession WR.

First off, a big welcome to Mr. Spruce.

Secondly, I'm not sure what people are seeing in his videos that I'm not. Yes, I saw him get open in traffic a few times and make great catches. But I also saw him burn past the secondary to get open and then continue to expand his gap time and time again. I don't know what the level of competitions was, but he looked like he had great speed to me.

First off, a big welcome to Mr. Spruce.

Secondly, I'm not sure what people are seeing in his videos that I'm not. Yes, I saw him get open in traffic a few times and make great catches. But I also saw him burn past the secondary to get open and then continue to expand his gap time and time again. I don't know what the level of competitions was, but he looked like he had great speed to me.

Thank you. Westlake HS is one of the top 15 programs in the state, plays in a great league, and Spruce dominated as both a WR and CB. He only played CB in the big games when the team needed him, but still won DB of the year in the conference.

I'd like to see more burst out of him. It looks like it takes him a few strides to get going. But he consistently pulls away from guys. My guess is that he's legitimately running a sub-4.6 forty.

Nice to have you on board Spruce! The tape looks pretty impressive and it will be nice to get back to these 6'2" type WRs. Hackett and McCoy types

I do not see slot receiver either. He has a natural stride that is a bit more upright than you would ever want to see out of a receiver working the slot.

Decker's a very good comparison. Spruce is a more highly regarded college prospect than Decker was, but they're pretty similar. Decker probably shows better quickness in and out of his breaks, but Spruce shows better top end speed. Both have great hands and ideal WR body types. Spruce put up better high school numbers in a much better league, though.

Spruce looks very good playing against great competition. Very athletic and wins balls in the air. Good get, welcome aboard Mr. Spruce.

Did Spuce play with one of the Montanas? Seems like that's where Joe's kids attended HS.

Nick Montana went to Oaks Christian, which is also located in Westlake Village and plays in the same league. One of the best leagues in the nation. St. Bonaventure is in there, too.

Some new highlights were just posted to youtube. Enjoy!!!

(We got ourselves a player.)

[video=youtube;7UiqVXtKCq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UiqVXtKCq0[/video]

Thank you, Novabuff for PMing the link to me. And welcome to the board.

And he's smart....

But damn kids got talent. Can't wait to see what a good coach can do with him!

Back