What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO DE Treyben Letlow (Verbal to CSU-Pueblo)

With 71 straight victories and two state titles, I'm curious why he didn't look for a wrestling scholarship from a Midwestern school?

With 71 straight victories and two state titles, I'm curious why he didn't look for a wrestling scholarship from a Midwestern school?

At one point, he wanted to PWO at Colorado, said he wanted to stay instate and play football. CSU/Pueblo offered and that was that.
For some guys, wrestling isn't as appealing in college as playing big-boy football.

At one point, he wanted to PWO at Colorado, said he wanted to stay instate and play football. CSU/Pueblo offered and that was that.
For some guys, wrestling isn't as appealing in college as playing big-boy football.

I don't know if he was good enough for big time college wrestling, but if so I would have explored the big ten or big XII schools for a wrestling scholarship. Degree from Minnesota>>>>CSU Pueblo. But if he likes football better, then so be it. Good luck to him.

One of the important factors was staying in state, for whatever reason.

His brother plays football for UNC Greeley.

Outside shot at being one of those small school guys who make the NFL. This is where they come from, small school, lower level competition, not highly specialized position coaches, small school S&C program, coach out of big school recruiting loop.

Put him at Pueblo with some better coaching, blow him up with a better S&C program and in a few years people are saying "Why didn't he play for CU?"

I had really hoped he would be a PWO for the Buffs but a paid schollie at a small school vs. a walk-on at a large school makes it hard to ask mom and dad to fork over the money.

Given the Buff connection with the CSU-Pueblo staff*, could it be that Embree is using that program to stash in-state talent like other programs use JUCOs? With a D2 program, the player can later transfer to CU without having to sit out a year. Food for thought.

*HC John Wristen was a long-time CU coach (1999-2006; 1990 grad assistant), OL coach Chris Symington played for CU (84-88) and was a grad assistant (89), DC Hunter Hughes was a CU grad assistant (03-06), DB coach / Recruiting Coordinator Donnell Leomiti was a CU player (92-95) and defensive technical intern (96-97), QB coach Mike Babcock was a offensive quality control intern at CU (05-06), and WR coach Dusty Sprague was a player at CU (04-07).

Nik -- thanx for the run down on the Buff connection. Interesting that so many formers are at one location. Ya never know, it may pay dividends down the road.

Mtn -- I'm with ya on the idea, I'm just not sure Embo has had enough time to work out something like this. Possible? Yeah, definitely. In effect? Not sure. Would be nice, tho.

Given the Buff connection with the CSU-Pueblo staff*, could it be that Embree is using that program to stash in-state talent like other programs use JUCOs? With a D2 program, the player can later transfer to CU without having to sit out a year. Food for thought.

*HC John Wristen was a long-time CU coach (1999-2006; 1990 grad assistant), OL coach Chris Symington played for CU (84-88) and was a grad assistant (89), DC Hunter Hughes was a CU grad assistant (03-06), DB coach / Recruiting Coordinator Donnell Leomiti was a CU player (92-95) and defensive technical intern (96-97), QB coach Mike Babcock was a offensive quality control intern at CU (05-06), and WR coach Dusty Sprague was a player at CU (04-07).

Hadn't thought of that idea but it makes perfect sense. Play the guy a couple of years at D2, if he develops he redshirts then plays his final two at CU, if not then Pueblo still has a pretty decent D2 ballplayer. Either way the kid gets a paid for education and a chance to play. Pueblo gets help with recruiting talent that would otherwise go JC or that they just don't have the resources to go after. For CU academically it is a transfer from another in-state four year school easing the process.

Back