What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#11 CU v #6 UNLV - March 15th, 8pm MT - NCAA Tournament 2nd Round Game Thread

I doubt it. We didn't even make it last year. A win would help and of course we'd always take it, but even if we only ended up being Pac12 tourney champs and played 1 round in the NCAA in a "down" year would show we are going to be around for a while (hopefully!).

what are you talking about. before this season most were hoping for a deep NIT run at best. we're pac 12 champions and in the dance. win or lose, how does this possibly hurt the image of a program that hasn't made the tournament since 2003 and was supposedly rebuilding this year after losing 2 nba players and 70% of the offense.

it goes without saying that no one here wants to lose thursday but we should be happy we're here at all.

Fair enough. I don't want it to hurt us. I hope it doesn't and in my mind it wont but in the Media's and potential recruit's eyes it could. That is what I was referring. I still don't have my voice back fully from the PAC12 tourney and I am still buzzing from being lucky enough to be there. I'm ecstatic that we're going Dancin' and we are the PAC12 champs. I'm starting to sound like Bigbang so I'm going to just shut up.

--Now back to the thread-- If you go, cheer loud for those that can't be there Thursday!

GO BUFFS!

It's probably way too late for the tournament and even if it wasnt, I doubt they would get this done, but I think it would be awesome to come out to the first game of the tourney in throwback unis back to the Chauncey days. I love our uniforms now, but it could be really cool to wear the old ones every once in awhile on special occasions like this

billups_022_412.jpg

It's probably way too late for the tournament and even if it wasnt, I doubt they would get this done, but I think it would be awesome to come out to the first game of the tourney in throwback unis back to the Chauncey days. I love our uniforms now, but it could be really cool to wear the old ones every once in awhile on special occasions like this

Not a bad idea- but I don't think so for the tourney. This week is all about the future being now. I absolutely love how Chauncey has represented for the Buffs (too bad we couldn't take care of Stanford when he was at the Keg), but you don't take anything away from the current Buffs on their run. Now next year...after the banner has been hung I am all in.

Jay Bilas gives a pretty confusing pick of Colorado over UNLV. (insider)

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...urnament-jay-bilas-pick-pick-bracket-analysis

Bilas is stoned. We're going to run them out of the gym. Hell, CSU ran them out of their gym.

That CSU game is actually what gives me a lot of confidence in this game. We were 2 missed free throws from walking out of there with the game. CSU blew them out. This game is at altitude. CU wins. Same with Baylor. Baylor plays like sh*t at altitude.

Read the end of it. He says Boyle is going to slow down the tempo of the game, when he normally does the exact opposite.

He hasn't paid any attention to CU at all if he thinks we're going to slow it down.

Everytime we have slowed down the game we have not scored. Boyle looks to speed everything up. To quote CBS he likes games "frenetic".

Um, Bilas is right. You guys are wrong. From KenPom, the national average for pace is 66.1 possessions per game. CU averages 65.6 possessions. That's 197th in the nation. UNLV averages 69.7 -- which is 30th. Despite the impression that we give, we're not a fast team. JGIsland and I actually had a discussion about this and the best solution we came up with was that we were getting out to big leads and milking the clock (this was right after the end of the non-conference schedule when we were rolling teams). However, I think Rugged might have the correct idea here:

Oh. I took it as Tad likes our team to play tough defense with minimal risks, which makes teams use a lot of the shotclock, which slows the game down, just he said it in a confusing way. Meh. Whatever.

But, no matter why we're slow, the fact is that we're not a fast team. UNLV is. This can play to our advantage on offense (we're at our best on the fastbreak), but we're going to HAVE to get back on D or they're going to kill us.

Um, Bilas is right. You guys are wrong. From KenPom, the national average for pace is 66.1 possessions per game. CU averages 65.6 possessions. That's 197th in the nation. UNLV averages 69.7 -- which is 30th. Despite the impression that we give, we're not a fast team. JGIsland and I actually had a discussion about this and the best solution we came up with was that we were getting out to big leads and milking the clock (this was right after the end of the non-conference schedule when we were rolling teams). However, I think Rugged might have the correct idea here:

But, no matter why we're slow, the fact is that we're not a fast team. UNLV is. This can play to our advantage on offense (we're at our best on the fastbreak), but we're going to HAVE to get back on D or they're going to kill us.

I also think it comes down to us taking the air out of the ball when we have a lead. But I don't like the way he worded it, he made it sound like they run the fast break and we run a slow half court offense. If they want to push the pace it will play right into our offense.

I also think it comes down to us taking the air out of the ball when we have a lead. But I don't like the way he worded it, he made it sound like they run the fast break and we run a slow half court offense. If they want to push the pace it will play right into our offense.

But he picked us to win, meaning he thinks that our ability to slow it down will play into our advantage. As in we will be able to prevent them from having an advantage on fast breaks by getting back and slowing them down, playing to our strengths of forcing teams to run long half court offensive possessions.

Goose has a poor memory on what we came up with:). But what we did I still think is right.

It is:
on rebounds we absolutely push the pace and get out and run, but we don't often get/take a quick shot, we catch the defensive in transition and out of position after a couple passes and then we attack. While we still use some shot clock it seems like we are playing faster than we are b/c the defense is trying to recover and scramble b/c we pushed the ball up the court initially.

I look at it this way:

We're absolutely happy to play fast. UNLV just has to do its part by jacking up bad shots early in the shot clock and turning the ball over a lot.

Bilas is stoned. We're going to run them out of the gym. Hell, CSU ran them out of their gym.

That CSU game is actually what gives me a lot of confidence in this game. We were 2 missed free throws from walking out of there with the game. CSU blew them out. This game is at altitude. CU wins. Same with Baylor. Baylor plays like sh*t at altitude.

total agreement!! Didn't baylor lose to CU at home 2 years ago? Bz's last year here if i remember correctly. I was amazed when I watched that....

Let's hope that this trip to the Pit is as bad as UNLV's last visit there when UNM beat them by 20 and they only scored 45 points.

They're thinking that this is going to be like a home game for them. I don't doubt that they will have plenty of fans there and more people may be pulling for UNLV than us, but not by much. I have little doubt that CU will be well represented.

They're thinking that this is going to be like a home game for them. I don't doubt that they will have plenty of fans there and more people may be pulling for UNLV than us, but not by much. I have little doubt that CU will be well represented.

People here don't like UNLV and now that BYU has left the MWC they are seen as their rivals. They will still show up in Lobo gear (ugh), but they'll be cheering for the MWC and they won't be as loud as they are for UNM games. And no one is from Vegas. Everyone knows that.

From Pat Forde:

UNLV (42). The Runnin’ Rebels are running on fumes, going 5-5 in their past 10 games and 0-4 outside of Vegas. Star player Mike Moser has faded down the stretch, though he did revive for a couple of nice games late against Wyoming. Bad news for Moser: Wyoming isn’t in the field of 68.

so it seems like the biggest smack is the PAC:12 sucks and that is why they are going to beat us. I can't say their fans are really educated about basketball because the who beat this team who you lost to infinite web of logic is a terrible argument. They can bring up their good defense numbers or the matchup with Dre and Mosher hurting our team, but instead they want to base the game on MWC > PAC.
funny how when they do bring up the dre v mosher thing, it can only hurt us. I mean, that is a 2 way street kiddos

UNLV is an excellent 3 point shooting team, we are average defending it, but should trim their average of 8.3 tre's a game. We match up well defensively otherwise.

Offensively, we need to step up with the 3's, otherwise evenly matched.

Don't know about free throws making the difference as of yet. Pretty even in % and personal fouls.

Thinking it all comes down to the 3's. Gotta love tourney play.

Go Buffs!

UNLV is an excellent 3 point shooting team, we are average defending it, but should trim their average of 8.3 tre's a game. We match up well defensively otherwise.

Offensively, we need to step up with the 3's, otherwise evenly matched.

Don't know about free throws making the difference as of yet. Pretty even in % and personal fouls.

Thinking it all comes down to the 3's. Gotta love tourney play.

Go Buffs!

I'd say we're above average at defending the three. We pretty much shut down Arizona and Oregon's three point shooting during the tournament if I remember correctly. We're gonna need both Tomlinson and Dinwiddie at the top of their games though both offensively and defensively as well as have Dufault and Tunks grab some boards.

Something similar may have been posted already, but I'm not reading through thirteen pages of Tini saturated thread, so here are CU and UNLV's common opponents this year:

Wichita State (CU L by 9; UNLV L by 19)
USC (CU W by 24; UNLV W by 11)
Cal (CU L by 7, W by 13, W by 11; UNLV W by 17)
Air Force (CU W by 3(OT); UNLV W by 2(OT), W by 10)
CSU (CU L by 1 (dammit!); UNLV W by 19, L by 7)
Wyoming (CU L by 11; UNLV L by 2, W by 11, W by 8)

Pretty frickin' close, if you ask me. Of course, UNLV has that sweet win against UNC on their resume, which is why they're a six seed and we're an eleven. But after looking through each team's schedules, I'm feeling a lot better about Thursday night.

UNLV started off really hot but has been a average 5-5 their last 10 games. They also really struggle at altitude with their lone win at altitude coming over Air Force. May hav already been posted but whatever. This will be a really right game.

UNLV started off really hot but has been a average 5-5 their last 10 games. They also really struggle at altitude with their lone win at altitude coming over Air Force. May hav already been posted but whatever. This will be a really right game.

Boise is at a relatively high elevation (3,000) and although 5-5 in the last ten, UNLV is 14-6 in the last twenty. I agree, though. This game will be really right.

Lon Kruger was putting together a very nice program at UNLV before OU threw a ton of cash at him. my feeling going into NCAA matchups is how the game is officiated vs. the way conference games (for each respective team) were officiating is a big factor.

Big XII teams from the early-mid 00's were always an iffy pick since it was such a physical league, with a 'let em play' attitude towards the paint and especially handchecks on the perimeter....if refs are calling fouls 30 feet from the basket an Eddie Sutton or Kelvin Sampson team is in trouble. they'll have 3-4 fouls from a tight ref crew in the first 6-7 minutes of play. underdog team X is in the bonus and 2Xbonus for 10 minutes of the half.

we'll see. i think UNLV is a good team and we'll have to play very well to win. not my favorite draw, but it's all gravy at this point to me.

Basketball Prospectus:

(11) Colorado vs. (6) UNLV
First instinct: UNLV
The numbers like: UNLV (KP - 66%, Silver - 68%, BPI - UNLV 28, Colorado 87)
Thought process: I was really intrigued with the idea of Colorado slowing down the game and Andre Roberson controlling the paint, but that BPI gap is wide. I'm taking UNLV, but every time I look at Colorado's lineup I convince myself they'll win. I can't figure out why this is.
Final pick: UNLV

**** pat forde... he can go **** himself in the eye with a rat poison tipped dildo

Best case: Blessed with regional proximity, all 17 Buffaloes fans stream down Interstate 25 to Albuquerque to see their hot team take out fading UNLV, then beat South Dakota State in a bracket-collapse game. Team that has won seven consecutive games with fewer than 65 possessions and lost four in a row with 66 or more dictates pace judiciously to win two NCAA tourney games for the first time since 1955. Prompt Sweet 16 eviction by Duke goes unnoticed by Colorado fans, who have turned their attention to spring skiing and the Broncos’ quarterback situation. As an added bonus, Colorado State is the first team out of the field of 64 with a Thursday afternoon loss to Murray State.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=pf-forde_south_region_best_worst_cases_031412

All 17 fans? Apparently this guy didn't catch even 10 seconds of the Pac 12 tourney. Brilliant analysis there, buddy.

All 17 fans? Apparently this guy didn't catch even 10 seconds of the Pac 12 tourney. Brilliant analysis there, buddy.
100% agree

WTF? Did he mean all 17 fans that AllBuffs assisted with student fees?

F that! Get ready to get loud - those of you lucky enough to be headed to the game in person! Time to show the nation that the impressions they may have of Buffs basketball from the past 20 years are no longer valid.

Like many in the "media", he obviously doesn't know the difference between Colorado and Colorado State .... or between football and basketball.

Last edited:
Back