What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 NM WR Tyler McCulloch (Signed to Colorado)

well.... whatever the coaches like I guess. Seems like one hell of a reach.

I am willing to be patient as far as the 2011 class goes, but I really (and I cannot emphasize this enough), really hope we are not talking about the same level of prospects one year from now.

This was a head scratcher for me but I havent seen enough of him to know what kind of player he is. Never know, he might end up being solid. Stranger things have happened and I hope it does in this case.

I got excited after about three minutes of watching film. (no homo) YAK is awesome, and his fade route to the corner of the endzone will be unstoppable.

Congrats young man!

No one recruited Jeremey Shockey out of HS either. He was a big slowish WR. So, as an Honor Roll student in HS, he decided to go to a JC, then signed with the U just before Fall camp of his soph season

I am NOT making a comparison, just pointing out that I would caution against evaluating this guy as a WR. I highly doubt that JE seems him at WR in the long term. He will be a TE eventually, and he could end up being a pretty darn good one.

Congrats young man!

No one recruited Jeremey Shockey out of HS either. He was a big slowish WR. So, as an Honor Roll student in HS, he decided to go to a JC, then signed with the U just before Fall camp of his soph season

I am NOT making a comparison, just pointing out that I would caution against evaluating this guy as a WR. I highly doubt that JE seems him at WR in the long term. He will be a TE eventually, and he could end up being a pretty darn good one.

There's a little bit more to the Shockey story, Bill. Seems his "fave" team didn't want him and didn't recruit him. When he began to develop at Northeaster A&M, he returned the favor and went out of state. Rest is history.

Not sure where Tyler will end up. If he can pack on decent weight, he'll prolly be a TE. If not, he'll be the jumbo colinski was always searching for.

I got excited after about three minutes of watching film. (no homo) YAK is awesome, and his fade route to the corner of the endzone will be unstoppable.

Yes. Fade route into corner. Sideline catch at 1st down marker. Back of endzone jump ball. Decoy for said list.
I don't care how fast he is so long as his height can help inside the red zone and with first down conversions.

Yes. Fade route into corner. Sideline catch at 1st down marker. Back of endzone jump ball. Decoy for said list.
I don't care how fast he is so long as his height can help inside the red zone and with first down conversions.

And that quick seam pass to the TE out of the slot that Missouri and Baylor absolutely killed us with last season.

I am willing to be patient as far as the 2011 class goes, but I really (and I cannot emphasize this enough), really hope we are not talking about the same level of prospects one year from now.

It would be nice if looking back two or three years from now this turned out to be a "depth class"
That being said, I like tall wide receivers and hope they keep him there. If he worked out even as well as a Cris Collinsworth it wouldn't be a bad thing for the Buffs

And that quick seam pass to the TE out of the slot that Missouri and Baylor absolutely killed us with last season.

Again, we already have Darden with the height matchup. Did Embree and co. evaluate and decide Darden couldn't be that guy?

Again, we already have Darden with the height matchup. Did Embree and co. evaluate and decide Darden couldn't be that guy?

It would seem that Darden will get the opportunity to do this role, with any newbies as understudies/depth. It'll make spring ball and spring game observations interesting.

Might turn out to be a combo type guy, 220lbs effective blocking like a smaller TE but hard to cover by a DB because of his size.

He could be one of those guys who makes DBs worried because he lays a series of blocks on them in the running game and just when they start to brace up for the blocks he puts a move on and is open in the passing game.

I have no idea if JE has anything like this in mind but it could be an interesting take on the situation. With all the spread offenses people are running with the midget recievers I sense that a lot of DBs are not used to having to be physical in the running game or deal with handling bigger recievers who will hit them.

I'm pretty sure after having contacts and a year to recruit, the next class will be ranked higher and there will be more top line guys. Well at least that's what most of the board says.

I'm pretty sure after having contacts and a year to recruit, the next class will be ranked higher and there will be more top line guys. Well at least that's what most of the board says.

****...if the Board says it, it must be true.....

Really hope that he gets a personalized "Speed improvement" program in place from Blacken. If we could get his speed down from 4.7 to 4.5 before fall ball - he would create great mismatches. I don't think it's out of the question to get him sub 4.5 with the proper program. And as was said before, as long as he's running crisp routes and isn't afraid to go up and get it, I don't see a problem here.

you can't teach size and this kid has it. Looking forward to seeing him plant some DB's on their asses in the PAC-12!

Welcome to the Buffs Mr. McColloch!

Really hope that he gets a personalized "Speed improvement" program in place from Blacken. If we could get his speed down from 4.7 to 4.5 before fall ball - he would create great mismatches. I don't think it's out of the question to get him sub 4.5 with the proper program. And as was said before, as long as he's running crisp routes and isn't afraid to go up and get it, I don't see a problem here.

you can't teach size and this kid has it. Looking forward to seeing him plant some DB's on their asses in the PAC-12!

Welcome to the Buffs Mr. McColloch!

Sub 4.5 will never happen. High 4.5s would be a huge improvement and good speed for someone who may not be finshed growing.

I haven't paid attention to this kid until I decided to take a look at him...didn't know he was 6'5" and it seems like some of the Pac-12 schools love their hybrid WR-TEs...I have a good feeling about this kid.

McCulloch has finally gotten his 2 stars on Rivals and Scout. This is actually a departure from previous years. They're not always good at rating guys who are unrated on NSD (even the obligatory low 2* that's standard for BCS signees).

We'll see how it shakes out, but McCulloch appears to be proving the doubters (including me) wrong thus far.

Im hoping this youngster pans out, all good so far. Things change when it's time to strap it up. Also sometimes all a guy like this needs is a chance to prove he can play and they take off, maybe it'll be like that with Tyler.

It's actually kind of surprising that a big WR turned heads before the pads came on.

I'm pleasantly surprised here (and I'm learning to trust our coaches as talent evaluators).

Still a long way to go, though.

Back