What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 TX QB Stevie Joe Dorman (Signed to Colorado)

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
Maxpreps

681368.jpg

Somerset HS (Somerset, TX)

Ht: 6-foot-4
Wt: 210 lbs
Forty: 4.8 secs
Bench max: 235 pounds
Squat max: 415 pounds

Rivals rating: 3*-5.5rr; unranked QB
Scout rating: 3*; #78 QB
ESPN rating: 2*- 72 grade; #108 QB

Reported Offers: Colorado

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: '11 TX QB Stevie Joe Dorman

[SIZE=+2]For Sonny Detmer, rise of state's QBs is great to see
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]09:10 PM CDT on Saturday, October 4, 2008

[/SIZE]
When Sonny Detmer got into Texas high school coaching in the early '70s, his teams passed only 18 or 19 times a game.

Of course, most everyone else was throwing it three or four.

"If you didn't run a slant five or a Wing T," Detmer says, "you didn't work.
"They weren't interested in anyone running anything crazy."

"Crazy" meant throwing for any other reason than you were down by three touchdowns and the crowd was headed for the parking lot.

But Detmer went right on throwing the ball anyway. He did it because he'd been a wide receiver in junior college and with the San Antonio Toros, and he liked it. He thought he could teach kids how to get open. Besides, it's difficult running the ball when your linemen are nothing more than speed bumps.

Detmer also coached in San Antonio when Tommy Kramer won a state championship at San Antonio Lee. He'd go to Lee's practices and watch Kramer throw the ball around like it was infield practice.

"It was unbelievable to see," Detmer says.

More...

Inside Texas 2011 Watch List

By Jeff Howe, Inside Texas Recruiting Analyst
Posted Mar 17, 2009
Copyright © 2009 InsideTexas.com
That's right, it's Inside Texas' watch list for the class of 2011. With the class of 2010 nearly wrapped up for the Longhorns, it's time to take an early look at the players who will be making noise in recruiting when they head to camps this summer and go into their junior seasons this fall.

As you'll see, the list is very heavy at the running back position. Partially this is because running back is one of the positions where great players can emerge relatively early, but primarily its because the running back class in the state of Texas is very strong for 2011.

There are obviously many, many more players to add to the list at all positions because 2011 players have only gone through their sophomore seasons. There's plenty of development still to go and there are many great players who remain unknown because they have yet to step onto the football field in high school, but this is an early list of some of the players who have already made noise as only sophomores and could be major targets in recruiting.

Quarterback
David Ash (6-3/190), QB, Belton
Jaquarius Daniels (6-4/220/4.6), QB, Austin Reagan
Stevie Joe Dorman (6-4/200/4.8), QB, Somerset
Cooper Jones (6-4/185), QB, Lone Oak
Ryan Polite (6-2/175/4.7), QB, DeSoto
Aaryn Sharp (6-1/215), QB, Round Rock Stony Point
Aaron Shockey (6-3/205/4.8), QB, Haltom City Haltom
Blake Turner (6-3/180/4.6), QB, Rowlett
J.W. Walsh (6-2/185/4.6), QB, Denton Guyer

more...

Koy is my all-time favorite Buff. I would LOVE to see his nephew in a Buff uniform.

Game balls
Madison coach Jim Streety became the 10th coach in state history to earn 300 career victories with the Mavericks’ 21-13 victory against New Braunfels. ... RB David Glasco ran for 268 of his 331 yards and all three TDs in the second half of Wagner’s 35-20 victory against Kerrville Tivy. ... RB Tre’vion Johnson carried Southwest to a 14-13 upset of Steele with 251 yards and two TDs. ... Somerset QB Stevie Joe Dorman passed for 288 yards and three TDs, including 79 yards to John Guerra with 15 seconds left to beat Dilley 20-14. ... QB Gilbert Cantu threw for 326 yards and six TDs in St. Gerard’s 51-47 loss to Cornerstone.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/59275617.html

In Detmers' footsteps
Dan McCarney - Express-News

Having molded two sons into NFL quarterbacks, Sonny Detmer moved on to his next project.

At 5 years old, grandson Steve Dorman already had the makings of a left-handed pitching ace. Or so Sonny thought, until he made a startling realization at one of little Stevie Joe’s tee-ball games.
“I’m already thinking Cy Young,” Detmer said, “and I had him pitching with the wrong hand. He threw so well, with really nice form, then he’d go to practice and throw with his right hand. At least I didn’t ruin him.”

Now that they’ve moved to more familiar ground on the football field, there seems to be little chance of that. Indeed, judging by Sonny’s track record as a quarterback guru, Dorman could scarcely be in better hands.

“Playing under him has been great,” said Dorman, the son of Sonny and Betty Detmer’s daughter, Dee. “I’ve learned so much about football.”

With Dorman’s grandfather/head coach guiding his development, the Somerset sophomore ranks fourth in the area in passing with 991 yards.

Already he’s begun to earn comparisons with uncles Ty and Koy Detmer, who both set the state passing records and starred in college before playing 11 and nine seasons, respectively, in the NFL.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/Detmers_grandson_earns_passing_grade.html

Dorman still hasn't picked up an offer. We may have a shot at him as a Preferred Walk On. That would be a very nice development for us.

[video=youtube;9m8TdpWoJks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8TdpWoJks[/video]

[video=youtube;YzKcOuukA0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKcOuukA0g[/video]

Intriguing write-up from Scout:

A polished recruit who looks the part of a future NFL quarterback because of his great size, 6-4 210. He has a great touch on short and medium passes and throws a catchable deep ball. Throws almost over the top in a calm demeanor with a big arc on the ball. Does a good job on play-fake also drawing the defensive backs in. Great upside, he could start for quite a few teams as a freshman if needed

hrmmm. Dislike his completel lack of offers... seems like a backup plan type guy. However, he sure does look the part in the highlight reel.

Stevie was his District's Offensive MVP in 2010. He completed 60.2% of his passes for 2,633 yards (10.9 per attempt) with 31 TDs and 8 INTs in 11 games MaxPreps has compiled. His team went 9-2 in the games we have stats for, but finished 10-3 with a loss in the playoffs.

[video=youtube;9m8TdpWoJks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8TdpWoJks[/video]

[video=youtube;YzKcOuukA0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKcOuukA0g[/video]

This kid plays just like Hirschman. Nice arm, poor looking athletic ability IMO. if the staff likes this guy than I'm pretty sure that Hirschman has a chance to play as much as anybody.

This just came through twitter:

adamcm777 Adam Munsterteiger
Colorado has received a commitment from Somerset (Texas) High QB Stevie Joe Dorman. His uncle is former Buff QB Koy Detmer.

I can't believe you beat me to this one, AJ. Good work. :thumbsup:

We've got our prep quarterback, folks! As I said in another thread, I think this is an absolute steal. (According to Dorman's coach, he had some other offers but he didn't tell Scout what they were.)

Welcome to the B&G, Stevie!

:gobuffs:

Guy definitely has the size....but there has to be some reason why we are the only team that offered him a scholarship (and I hope that reason isn't because he's related to Koy Detmer)

Get the sense that Embree and the gang aren't just handing scholarships out willy nilly. They must see something in this kid that convinces them that he'll be able to compete here. And I'm sure the family ties don't hurt either. Welcome aboard young man, way to kick start the weekend.

who cares why this kids did not have other offers....he is now a BUFF and will be wearing the B&G. CONGRATS young man!!!!

Back