1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'12 AZ S Zach Hoffpauir (Signed to Stanford)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, May 4, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247 Sports

[​IMG]
    Centennial H.S. (Peoria, AZ)

Ht: 5-foot-11
    Wt: 195 lbs
    40:

Rivals rating: 3*-5.7rr; #29 S
    Scout rating: 3*; #32 S
    ESPN rating: 3*-75 grade; #81 S
    247 rating: 3*-84 rating; #59 S

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Air Force, Army, Montana, Navy, Northern Colorado, Toledo, Utah State

2. Buffnik

hudl has a great highlight video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/130610/zach-hoffpauir

Here's what Scout said about Hoffpauir (linked in profile):

Was named 1st team All-Arizona as a JR after he made 73 tackles and 5 INTs.

One of AZ's top playmakers. Tough as nails, explosive tackler, and has great ball skills. Is a player that you want on your team. Is a great student (well above 3.0 GPA). Tweener in that, doesn't have prototypical measurables of a safety or OLB. But the bottomline is, he can play football. Also a national baseball prospect.

3. Buffnik

Scout article about his offer: http://hsarizona.scout.com/2/1069582.html

CU stepped up as the first major conference program to offer the all-Arizona safety.

About the Colorado offer: "It is very exciting. I have been waiting quite a while for an offer like this and the patience has paid off."

4. Buffnik

Arizona Republic article that featured Hoffpauir after he was key to their quarterfinal win in the 5A state playoffs:

"My dad tells me to be an enforcer out there," Hoffpauir said. "That's what I try to do. I want people to know if they're going to come across the middle that I'm there."

Taylor said assistant coach Joe McDonald told him that Hoffpauir reminds him of former University of Arizona and NFL safety Chuck Cecil.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/2010/11/25/20101125centennial-football-zach-hoffpauir.html#ixzz1LOUoFm7W

5. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I really liked that video. You can tell he's a good football player, even though he looks to lack a good top speed. He probably seriously hurt a few people with some of those hits. He also has a good knack for sniffing plays out. I think at around 40 seconds he picked off Brett Hundley (high end prospect from 2011 that ended up at UCLA) who was throwing to Javon Williams (6'4 lanky WR 2012 prospect we're recruiting). If he can take a jump ball away from Williams, I have faith he can play at this level. He also looked pretty good on special teams.

This staff definitely has a thing for high tempo guys that are versatile team players. I have a good feeling that our special teams is going to improve big time over the mess that was

[​IMG]

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

No baseball program at CU = Hoffpauir being a longshot to end up in Boulder.

7. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Really? I wonder how many top prospects insist on playing both sports in college. Could be wrong, but it seems most guys pick one sport to focus on, even though they might play the other, especially since signing baseball means minor league anyway.

Guess the question is has Hoffpauir said he definitely wants to play both in college? Especially given his offer list of the moment.

8. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

He was invited to tryout for the Junior USA team, which is a big deal. He didn't make the team, but getting the invite is huge. The money one can make over a career in baseball is way more than football due to longevity and the fact that baseball pays more.

He will likely be a reasonably high draft choice next year in baseball and could sign a big contract to play "minors". THat happens all the time (see Matt Holiday). At the very least, I would think he'd play both in college, like Seth Smith, and the Clemson QB that the Rox drafted last year and a bunch of others.

9. Buffnik

Committed to Cal. Maybe not the ideal height (6'0" in the profile is probably generous), but he's a player. I was disappointed when it became clear he was looking elsewhere. Good pickup for them.

10. Buffnik

Cal trying to hold off ASU on this one.

11. Duff Man

Stanford is in the picture as well because he just cleared admissions over the weekend.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Seems that lately, Cal has been trying to hold off everyone.

13. INTHABUFF

INTHABUFF Club Member Club Member

He was literally EVERYWHERE in the Sempre Fi all-star game. He looked closer to 5'8 than 6' but he hit everything that moved. It will be interesting to see how his size translates.

14. Duff Man

He decommitted from Cal today. Stanford looks like the logical landing spot.