What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA CB Erich Wilson (Signed to Washington)

I'm excited about this kid...the size is great for a CB, and he's got some speed on him, too. Looking forward to having him in Boulder working with Brown!

topgun.jpg

I just watched his film and I love the speed, vision etc but one thing stood out. He is listed as a CB yet the film is all RB. I am sure he plays the position is there any film or are there stats that anyone knows about?

Given 2-stars (72 grade, #142 ATH) by ESPN.

Seems low to me but it's understandable since he has very little experience (and film) at the position he's going to be playing at the next level. Hopefully the Junipero coach will give him some time at DB this year to help ease his future transition.

Erich Wilson Commits to Colorado
Posted 08/26/2011 02:35PM
Serra running back prepares for bright future
erich_wilson_(Small).jpg
Serra running back/cornerback Erich Wilson has committed to the University of Colorado to play football.

Wilson is a 6’1”, 200-pound athlete who excelled at running back his sophomore and junior years on the varsity team. Last fall, Wilson averaged 7.9 yards per carry and scored 11 touchdowns from the running back and kick return positions.

This season, Wilson will play both running back and cornerback. According to Serra Head Football Coach Patrick Walsh, "Erich's future is at corner. 6’1”, 200-pound corners who run as fast as Erich does are rare. If he makes a commitment to play cornerback, he will play for a very long time. With that said, he’s also a dynamic running back.”

This summer, Wilson was clocked in the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.38 seconds. He also recorded a vertical leap of 33 inches. At Colorado, Wilson will join David Bakhtiari, a 2009 graduate of Serra who played right tackle as a redshirt freshman last year for the Buffaloes. He is expected to move to left tackle this year to take over for Nate Solder, who was drafted by the New England Patriots in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Commenting on the possibility of an NFL future for Wilson and Bakhtiari, Walsh said, “On paper, both are NFL guys. Obviously, a lot has to happen in the next few years to achieve that goal, but both Erich and David have the talent, work ethic and character to get there.”

Walsh added that Wilson is “a great teammate and someone with a tremendous work ethic.” Wilson chose Colorado from a list of schools that includes Arizona State, Indiana, San Diego State and San Jose State. Wilson will join a prestigious group of 17 Serra football alumni who are currently playing in college. NFL star Tom Brady ’95 and Hall of Famer Lynn Swann ’70 also graduated from Serra.

http://www.serrahs.com/page.cfm?p=2596

Serra opens play on September 10th against Dalis Bruce's Monte Vista team. Wilson is expected to play both RB and CB.

Is anyone in the area and able to go to the game to give us a report?

Set a school record this week rushing for 6 touchdowns in a blowout win for Serra. What's more impressive is he did it in only 2 1/2 quarters when coaches called off the dogs midway through the 3rd. This pickup is looking better and better.

No mention of his CU pledge, but good article on Erich...

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=166723&title=Serra dismantles Wilcox

Serra dismantles Wilcox
September 05, 2011, 02:05 AM By Julio Lara Daily Journal Staff

The Serra football team opened the 2011 season Saturday against Wilcox by displaying the finest offensive weapon in all of San Mateo County; his name is Erich Wilson, he’s a running back and a touchdown-scoring machine.

Wilson and the Padres could do little wrong Saturday afternoon as they dismantled the Chargers 52-6. It was a game in which Wilson tied a school record for the most touchdowns scored by a player in a single game with six. And truth be told, had he not sat out half the third and the entire fourth quarter, he could have scored eight.

“Obviously, Erich is a burgeoning superstar if he’s not one already,” said Patrick Walsh, Serra head coach. “He’s a one-of-a-kind athlete. He’s a special kid, a special person, and obviously, he’s a special football player. We’re very fortunate to have him here at Serra.”

Fortunate indeed, and unfortunate for any Serra opponent.

To say that Wilson was nearly unstoppable wouldn’t be far-fetched. The Serra running back only touched the ball 12 times, but such was his dominance, and that of the Padres offensive line, that half of those times Wilson carried the ball across the goal line for a score. For the game, Wilson rushed for 176 yards — 138 of those came on the six touchdown runs.

“That’s from all the practice,” Wilson said of his success. “We practice it so much that during the game it’s like second-nature to us, so that’s what we expect to do. We came out here with a young team, so we came out trying to figure out what kind of team we’re going to have this year. So far, we’re looking pretty good.”

The Padres couldn’t have asked for a better start to the season. In Wilcox they had an opponent considered formidable by Central Coast Section standards. Yet the Padres made the Chargers look over-matched in every facet of the game.

“We have a lot of young guys out there,” Walsh said, speaking particularly about a defense that featured 10 new starters. “I think the kids played with great spirit and intensity. We didn’t know what we were going to get from Wilcox, new offense, new coach, we didn’t know what we were going to get. They put the ball on the ground a lot and that really helped us out. With 10 new starters on defense, a new quarterback, I thought the spirit of the team was great.”

It’s the young defense and special teams that forced six Wilcox turnovers. Serra took full advantage of those opportunities. The first came on a fumbled snap on a punt attempt that Serra recovered at the Chargers 19-yard line. Five plays later, Wilson carried the ball over the right side of the line and crossed into the end zone for the early 6-0 lead with 8:27 left in the first quarter.

It didn’t take Serra long to tack onto their lead. Less than three-minutes later, Joey Erdie snuck into the end zone from one-yard out, four plays after Wilcox had turned the ball over to the Padres for the second time.

Serra kept the offensive pressure coming. After a three-and-out by Wilcox, it took four offensive plays for the Padres to hit pay dirt once again. And once again it was Wilson carrying the ball for a touchdown. For all intents and purposes, the game was over with 2:27 left in the first quarter — up until that point, Wilcox had no answer for Wilson, Eric Redwood and the Serra rushing attack and there was no reason to suspect that they would eventually find one.

Defensively, the Padres were stout. Serra allowed their first first down of the afternoon on Wilcox’s ensuing drive. But a play later, they forced yet another Chargers’ fumble. It wasn’t long before Serra converted that gift into seven more points. This time Wilson scored from eight-yards out for the 28-0 lead.

“I think we did great,” said Brandon Bochi of his team’s defense. Bochi is the lone returning starter on the 2011 Serra defense. “We’ve been working really hard in practice to get that Serra pride back into the defense. The coaches really got us ready for this game and I thought we played pretty well. We came in kind of blind. But the coaches got us ready, reading out keys, so we were able to react and play pretty well against their offense.” Malakai Green led the Serra defense with 5.5 tackles.

Literally seconds after Wilson put the Padres up by 28, he put them up by 35 after another fumble by the Chargers on special teams set Serra up with the ball first-and-10 from the Wilcox 15-yard line. No. 21 took the first snap and swept around the left side for his fourth score of the game.

Wilson wasn’t done with his first-half destruction of the Wilcox defense. On Serra’s next drive (following another, you guessed it, Chargers fumble), the running back dazzled on a 38-yard touchdown run.

“We weren’t expecting it to be (this lopsided),” Wilson said. “We expected to be a good team. But coming out and playing like this, it’s a real confidence booster going forward.”

The Chargers managed to score a touchdown of their own just before the halftime horn sounded, making it 42-6 going into recess. But the game had long been decided by the legs of Wilson, who put a triple (or is it, sextuple?) exclamation point on the afternoon seven plays into the second half on a sweep to the right side turned spectacular display of balance, speed and agility down the Serra sideline. The play was a perfect example of Wilson’s gifts, patience to set up the play, explosiveness to burst through the line, speed to get to the corner and then balance and he glided down the sideline for the record-tying touchdown.

Wilson now shares the record with DeLeon Eskridge, who scored six touchdowns against Scotts Valley in a 2006 playoff game.

Serra racked up 371 yards of total offense on only 55 offensive plays, for an average of almost seven yards a snap.

Last edited:
In addition to being a classic Greg Brown corner could this guy be a difference maker as a returner (I mean other than the interceptions he takes to the house?)

In addition to being a classic Greg Brown corner could this guy be a difference maker as a returner (I mean other than the interceptions he takes to the house?)

Lets hope so. As good as Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown were, they weren't really ballhawks. We need some of those in the future. While I think your idea of moving Countryman to CB was off base, maybe getting some guys like Wilson, or guys that played WR in high school, that are used to having the ball in their hands will help in the future.

If only Sanderson had taken it to the house on Saturday....

Lets hope so. As good as Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown were, they weren't really ballhawks. We need some of those in the future. While I think your idea of moving Countryman to CB was off base, maybe getting some guys like Wilson, or guys that played WR in high school, that are used to having the ball in their hands will help in the future.

With Countryman I don't know that they had much choice with what they had to work with.

As to my question on Wilson does he return KO's or punts. This is another area where we haven't had a lot of significant contributors in recent years that can make a difference in ballgames.

Scout has put a 2* rating on Wilson now. 247 Sports has added him to their database but haven't rated.

22 rushes for 185 yards and 2 TD last night in a 31-13 win over St. Francis - Serra's first win over St. Francis since 1969. Erich also shut down the Lancers top WR Braden Bishop.

Back