What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA S Chris Solomon (Signed to Nevada)

I would rather have Solomon than Hall. Solomon is faster and much quicker. I don't think either project at CB in the Pac-12, but rather as Safety.

This is not meant as a slight on Mosley, but if I had to pick one I would rather have Solomon.

Given Hall's preference to play baseball, we should definitely oversign now.

This is one of the stranger decisions the staff has made so far. I really hope Solomon finds a way to boulder.

I would rather have Solomon than Hall. Solomon is faster and much quicker. I don't think either project at CB in the Pac-12, but rather as Safety.

This was one of the nice things we had going with the Hawk strategy of holding back a scholarship. This kid looks so good that you really want to make room for him. The problem is that he has work to do.

And the debate shouldn't really be about whether you like Hall better than Solomon. In my mind, do you like all of the guys you took earlier better than what may be available late (including this summer-like late)? We definitely have guys with questionable offer lists (and Hall isn't one of them). For that matter, do you like them better than what you can get next year with less than 20 scholarships likely available?

Bottom line is JE needs players now. He will take one in the hand before one in the bush. (have fun with that one). Wish this kid well. Hope he gets his work done and who knows what can happen. There will be late opportunities at some good schools if he can get qualified.

Hey look, it's cool to say that we would like Solomon to be a buff. The truth is, we were only going to take X number of DB's period. Once we got to that limit, anyone else that wants to commit is out of luck. If Solomon would have committed back in mid-January, he would be a Buff and Hall would not be.

We already have like 12 DB's on the roster. We couldn't take anymore than we did. Again, first come first serve.

As far as taking 9 DL players. Have you seen the depth chart? We have 6 bodies there. Richter and Poston will probably never play a down. That leaves 4, one of them injured and trying to get healthy in Bonsu. We needed DL players in the worst, desperate way. Half will play immediately, the other half will redshirt and we will have good depth going forward.

Best of luck to Solomon. I hope he gets to play somewhere and has success.

Recruiting is a lot like a big game of musical chairs. Each team has 25 chairs and sometimes they get filled up pretty quick. I hate this part of recruiting, because it always seems like there are one or two guys who get left out of the party. I hope Solomon finds a good school and plays football like his hair is on fire.

This was one of the nice things we had going with the Hawk strategy of holding back a scholarship. This kid looks so good that you really want to make room for him. The problem is that he has work to do.

And the debate shouldn't really be about whether you like Hall better than Solomon. In my mind, do you like all of the guys you took earlier better than what may be available late (including this summer-like late)? We definitely have guys with questionable offer lists (and Hall isn't one of them). For that matter, do you like them better than what you can get next year with less than 20 scholarships likely available?

Bottom line is JE needs players now. He will take one in the hand before one in the bush. (have fun with that one). Wish this kid well. Hope he gets his work done and who knows what can happen. There will be late opportunities at some good schools if he can get qualified.
Quite Frankly, other schools are not an option for us! It's we want and must play for Greg Brown, bottomline! I just don't understand the situation, Hall's official commit date was 1/29, Solomon attempted to commit on 1/25! Why is he guaranteed the spot over Solomon? It's unknown what was said during the phone conversation, but it obviously wasn't good! At the end of the day Chris Solomon will be qualified. He is only hours away from making up the 1 class that he needs to makeup! His academic should be around a 3.0 when his official transcipts need to be summitted! Got over a 3.0 last year and a 3.6 this past semester! Not like he's a bad student or even an average one at that! And will probably pan out to be the best DB in this class at the end of the day!

kinda bummed out we are not taking this kid right now. I hope we can find some room for him.

One of the worst parts of all this besides him wanting to be a buff but not being able to be at this point, is that he has got offers from 2 other Pac-12 schools at the moment. Last thing I want is to be playing against a very athletic DB with something to prove...

I LOVE having family members post on allbuffs. We just get a really unique perspective insight on the whole recruiting process. Unfortunately in this thread that we have to experience some heart-ache, but SOLO trust me that it goes two ways and there are tons of buff fans here that are heart-broken as well.

If I were in Chris' shoes, I'd talk to the staff and, first, find out (if he doesn't already know) why they aren't accepting his commitment and, second, if there is a chance that if something opens up they will take him and, third, if a gray shirt is an option. Finally, and I know this is tough financially, if he could take the PWO route.

One other option would be if they can set him up with a JUCO for, maybe, a year.

If I were in Chris' shoes, I'd talk to the staff and, first, find out (if he doesn't already know) why they aren't accepting his commitment and, second, if there is a chance that if something opens up they will take him and, third, if a gray shirt is an option. Finally, and I know this is tough financially, if he could take the PWO route.

One other option would be if they can set him up with a JUCO for, maybe, a year.

I only see outright commitment or GS only possible routes. He has other BCS offers.

If Chris has his sights set on CU and Greg Brown. Then I would suggest talking a walk on opportunity with a chip on his shoulder and busting his butt and giving them NO reason to keep him off of the field. Clay Matthews at USC did OK with his opportunity!

I guess there are some issues with academics or whatever and I'm not about to try to understand those complexities. I just know that I liked his film a lot and hope to see him play here somehow!!

If Chris has his sights set on CU and Greg Brown. Then I would suggest talking a walk on opportunity with a chip on his shoulder and busting his butt and giving them NO reason to keep him off of the field. Clay Matthews at USC did OK with his opportunity!

I guess there are some issues with academics or whatever and I'm not about to try to understand those complexities. I just know that I liked his film a lot and hope to see him play here somehow!!
Out of state tuition is a killer.

Your proposition is unlikely to the extreme, but at least you are thinking creatively.

Quite Frankly, other schools are not an option for us! It's we want and must play for Greg Brown, bottomline! I just don't understand the situation, Hall's official commit date was 1/29, Solomon attempted to commit on 1/25! Why is he guaranteed the spot over Solomon? It's unknown what was said during the phone conversation, but it obviously wasn't good! At the end of the day Chris Solomon will be qualified. He is only hours away from making up the 1 class that he needs to makeup! His academic should be around a 3.0 when his official transcipts need to be summitted! Got over a 3.0 last year and a 3.6 this past semester! Not like he's a bad student or even an average one at that! And will probably pan out to be the best DB in this class at the end of the day!

Trying to be gentle here and I understand your frustration. Jeff Hall committed two weeks ago. He became concerned when Crawley and Wright committed a couple of days later. Embree and EB went to talk to him and settle him down and answer his questions. Once he was satisfied, he was committed once again. He told the recruiting services to wait on announcing his commitment. He first wanted to let all the coaches recruiting him know that he was sold on CU. It became official to the recruiting services on the 01/29.

Like I mentioned earlier, CU was only going to recruit 5 DB's. Once our allotment filled (meaning the first 5 to commit) the position closed to all other recruits. We already have 12 DB's on scholie and don't need to add anymore than the 5 committed. While I'm sorry that Solomon will not be able to commit to CU. It is unfortunately the way recruiting works. We only have so many slots for each position and once they are filled we tell the rest that we are done recruiting that position.

I really do hope that Solomon gets to play football at the next level and wish you the best. And you never know, something could happen, like Hall getting drafted in baseball and he decides to take that, and a spot opens up. You really can't hang your hat on that but it is possible.

Trying to be gentle here and I understand your frustration. Jeff Hall committed two weeks ago. He became concerned when Crawley and Wright committed a couple of days later. Embree and EB went to talk to him and settle him down and answer his questions. Once he was satisfied, he was committed once again. He told the recruiting services to wait on announcing his commitment. He first wanted to let all the coaches recruiting him know that he was sold on CU. It became official to the recruiting services on the 01/29.

Like I mentioned earlier, CU was only going to recruit 5 DB's. Once our allotment filled (meaning the first 5 to commit) the position closed to all other recruits. We already have 12 DB's on scholie and don't need to add anymore than the 5 committed. While I'm sorry that Solomon will not be able to commit to CU. It is unfortunately the way recruiting works. We only have so many slots for each position and once they are filled we tell the rest that we are done recruiting that position.

I really do hope that Solomon gets to play football at the next level and wish you the best. And you never know, something could happen, like Hall getting drafted in baseball and he decides to take that, and a spot opens up. You really can't hang your hat on that but it is possible.
Do you work for the AD?

Good post explaining the situation based upon available information. For Chris's sake, I hope there is more information than what we have. This is a crazy time of year.

I seriously hope Hall gets drafted by the MLB, like I said earlier, Solomon is a BEAST and I would love to see him play Safety!

If you really are serious about only playing for Greg Brown and only being a Buff, then you should seriously consider a grayshirt option and call the coaching staff and express such. They might be willing to consider it for Chris as well. There are some great benefits grayshirting, one of them being getting an extra spring semester paid for by the University. It really helps an athlete graduate earlier with a chance to go to Grad school on the school's dime.

If you only want to be Buffs and only want to play for GB, then call them and find out if grayshirting is an option.

If you really are serious about only playing for Greg Brown and only being a Buff, then you should seriously consider a grayshirt option and call the coaching staff and express such. They might be willing to consider it for Chris as well. There are some great benefits grayshirting, one of them being getting an extra spring semester paid for by the University. It really helps an athlete graduate earlier with a chance to go to Grad school on the school's dime.

If you only want to be Buffs and only want to play for GB, then call them and find out if grayshirting is an option.
Are you MtnBuff's brother?

I agree with this. Gotta sell the coaches on this. They want kids with Solo's passion... So let's go to plan a, b or even c to get there.

This applies to the real world... Your dream job comes available and you think your qualified... Do you stop pursuing if they tell you no if you're really passionate about it? Keep knocking on that door, think outside the box. Chris can play obviously. He also should be turning his grades into a strength. There must be ways around this.

Solo, I truly mean this... Good luck!

What does Chris think about a GS opportunity?
At this point i even told him that Grey Shirting might be our best bet, due to the situation! We are totally open to anything I would say that PWO is the last resort because of financil reasons! anything to get our foot in the door! cause once he's we know and he know's he outplayy all these recruits and earn his way onto the field! Like coach EB said himself at one point there is a major flaw in the recruiting system! Some 4 stars should be 2 or 3 stars, and some 2 or 3 stars should be 4 stars!

Last edited:
At this point i even told him that Grey Shirting might be our best bet, due to the situation! We are totally open to anything I would say that PWO is the last resort because of financil reasons! anything to get our foot in the door! cause once he's we know and he know's he outplayy all this recruits and earn his way onto the field! Like coach EB said himself at one point there is a major flaw in the recruiting system! Some 4 stars should be 2 or 3 stars, and some 2 or 3 stars should be 4 stars!

I really hope Chris ends up at CU. Love to see this enthusiasm for the program. I wish nothing but the best for Chris and the fam, no matter the decision he makes.

There is question that this kid is going to run through brick walls. I just hope it is for Embree, Brown, and the Buffs.

Back