What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA TE Taylor McNamara (Verbal to Oklahoma)

is Embree going to be the TE coach?

No but he will still be helping the TE's and is one of the best TE coaches in the country, meanwhile, the guy at Arizona has only had notable running backs and I guess Gronkowski whom I've never heard of.

Ask how having Embree as his coached worked out for Dan Graham, Mercedes Lewis, and Tony Gonzalez.

Graham and Lewis are worth bringing up... but Tony Gonzalez? He was an All-Pro five times before Embree ever got to Kansas City.

It sounds like this was mostly about playing close to home. Tucson is the easiest drive in the Pac-12 from San Diego.

I doubt McNamara even remembers Graham in college or even Mercedes Lewis. Regardless, disappointing loss on this one. And it seems his decision was based on location more than anything

No but he will still be helping the TE's and is one of the best TE coaches in the country, meanwhile, the guy at Arizona has only had notable running backs and I guess Gronkowski whom I've never heard of.

Come on man. Gronkowski had over 500 yards receiving as a rookie for the Pats and was a 1st team All-Pac 10 TE. Just a little notable.

Graham and Lewis are worth bringing up... but Tony Gonzalez? He was an All-Pro five times before Embree ever got to Kansas City.
Tony Gonzalez had some of his best years in his career from 2006-2008 where he 900, 1172, 1058 yards receiving which was the same time that Embree was coaching him.

Come on man. Gronkowski had over 500 yards receiving as a rookie for the Pats and was a 1st team All-Pac 10 TE. Just a little notable.

I rarely pay attention to the NFL, maybe it was just reading his name, if I heard it I'd probably know who he was but the NFL blows.

Tony Gonzalez had some of his best years in his career from 2006-2008 where he 900, 1172, 1058 yards receiving which was the same time that Embree was coaching him.

I rarely pay attention to the NFL, maybe it was just reading his name, if I heard it I'd probably know who he was but the NFL blows.

Good to know that you rarely pay attention to the NFL, but you are willing to give Embree all sorts of credit for Tony Gonzalez having huge seasons for the Chiefs. Embree has a nice track record with TEs, but there is no need to go overboard with the love.

Regardless, this decision is surprising but I am thinking McNamara will still take some visits. We need some momentum in recruiting, starting next weekend at our elite camp.

Anyone know if McNamara was even seriously considering us or if he was planning on coming out here for a visit?

Good to know that you rarely pay attention to the NFL, but you are willing to give Embree all sorts of credit for Tony Gonzalez having huge seasons for the Chiefs. Embree has a nice track record with TEs, but there is no need to go overboard with the love.

Well if you were a TE, looking to get to the next level, wouldn't you want to go to the school with the coach who helped Gonzalez have his most productive years and has coached two Mackey award winners?

Ask how having Embree as his coached worked out for Dan Graham, Mercedes Lewis, and Tony Gonzalez.

Well if you were a TE, looking to get to the next level, wouldn't you want to go to the school with the coach who helped Gonzalez have his most productive years and has coached two Mackey award winners?

You make it sound like the only piece of criteria for picking a school should be the track record of your would be position coach. There are a lot of things that go into making a college decision, many of which have nothing to do with football.

You make it sound like the only piece of criteria for picking a school should be the track record of your would be position coach has been. There are a lot of things that go into making a college decision, many of which have nothing to do with football.
Uhhh wouldn't that play a HUGE part in your decision if you were going to school to you know, play football?

It should be part of the criteria. I was simply poking fun at your assertion of Embree making Gonzalez some all-world TE, especially now that you admit you do not follow the NFL. If I were Embree, I would focus much more on Graham and Lewis since he actually developed those guys into elite players.

Creatini - you're right about CU having a lot to sell to a tight end. We've got a long history of turning out pro tight ends, including a Mackey winner. Our senior tight end will be on the Mackey list this year and has a good shot of being a finalist with the offense we'll be running. We have a head coach who played the position and has been a great position coach. Our TE coach is also our passing game coordinator, so you know he'll get his guys the ball, and Brookhart also coached 2 Biletnikoff winners in Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant.

But...

Other schools have things to offer, too. Even taking my Buffs hat off, I would have no reservations recommending CU to any TE prospect. However, sometimes a guy wants to play close to home, is a fan of another team, feels comfortable in a place, has friends there, or whatnot and also views the opportunity and coaching as comparable (or close enough not to tip the scale for CU). We can't get them all. Hopefully, McNamara will come around but if he doesn't I'm still confident that we'll get some good TEs this cycle.

Uhhh wouldn't that play a HUGE part in your decision if you were going to school to you know, play football?

Of course it would matter but it's not everything. Maybe you missed the part about him wanting to stay close to home and major in Journalism, you know the school that CU just shut down and it's not like whoever is coaching TE's for Arizona is some crappy coach and maybe Taylor just likes him and Stoops more then Brookhart and Embree. And he's not going to college just to play football, if he was some unathletic kid he would still be going to college.

It should be part of the criteria. I was simply poking fun at your assertion of Embree making Gonzalez some all-world TE, especially now that you admit you do not follow the NFL. If I were Embree, I would focus much more on Graham and Lewis since he actually developed those guys into elite players.

Agreed. Don't forget Christian Fauria either. All-American who had a very good NFL career.

I don't follow the NFL, but I do know that Gonzalez is one of the best TE's in the NFL and to have his best years when he was being coached by Embree is something to note.

Creatini - you're right about CU having a lot to sell to a tight end. We've got a long history of turning out pro tight ends, including a Mackey winner. Our senior tight end will be on the Mackey list this year and has a good shot of being a finalist with the offense we'll be running. We have a head coach who played the position and has been a great position coach. Our TE coach is also our passing game coordinator, so you know he'll get his guys the ball, and Brookhart also coached 2 Biletnikoff winners in Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant.

But...

Other schools have things to offer, too. Even taking my Buffs hat off, I would have no reservations recommending CU to any TE prospect. However, sometimes a guy wants to play close to home, is a fan of another team, feels comfortable in a place, has friends there, or whatnot and also views the opportunity and coaching as comparable (or close enough not to tip the scale for CU). We can't get them all. Hopefully, McNamara will come around but if he doesn't I'm still confident that we'll get some good TEs this cycle.
I realize this 100%, but Arizona? That's like the CSU of Arizona. Not to mention it's a thousand ****ing degrees down there. If we get JCF then all is good, but these blows are getting tough to take.

Of course it would matter but it's not everything. Maybe you missed the part about him wanting to stay close to home and major in Journalism, you know the school that CU just shut down and it's not like whoever is coaching TE's for Arizona is some crappy coach and maybe Taylor just likes him and Stoops more then Brookhart and Embree. And he's not going to college just to play football, if he was some unathletic kid he would still be going to college.
He's not some un-athletic kid. He's a 4* recruit and is in the Rivals 250. You can still major in journalism, there's just no school. Colorado>Arizona.

The other big error (that Creatini won't understand because he is still there) is assuming that a 16-19 year old HS kid is going to make his decisions on a completely logical basis. We all understand that with or without football this is a decision that is going to impact a guy for the rest of his life.

Guys can make the decision based on the education, the coaches, the campus, how well they get along with the guys already on the team, how close they are to home or the chance to get away from home. These and a lot of other reasons can make sense. At the same time guys can make the decision based on where they saw the cutest girls on their visit, who has the coolest uniforms, how the team looks on a video game or which school they see on a license plate frame.

Bottom line is that the decision belongs to the kid. All of us have made decisions good and bad, the kid has the same right. As a fan I of course want the best players to pick CU but I respect their right not to, especially with a team coming off the five years we just have. Simple fact is that as enthusiastic as we are about the new coaching staff they haven't proven anything yet. Win some games, go to a bowl or two, build a track record with the guys on the roster and we will see a lot more of these top prospects making that decision to go to CU.

Even then we won't get every kid we want. Texas is known for being one of the most effective recruiting schools in the country and they don't get every player they want (see Darrell Scott.) Auburn, Oregon, USC in their pre-sanction days, Florida, etc. all had high priority recruits who went elsewhere. What we will get is a higher percentage of the guys we want and the ability to set our sights on a higher number of higher profile recruits. No matter how good your campus is, your school is, etc. a school still has to earn credibility on the field, in the locker room, in the team room.

Also, and I am not expecting this but for a teenager the decision isn't final until he signs the paperwork. A commitment means very little more than a promise that has no real consequences for breaking.

Last edited:
Back