What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO C Josh Scott (Signed to Colorado)

As mentioned in the other thread, he's now a 4* recruit on Scout. #19 PF and #81 overall.

Scott will get time as a 4 and eventually at the 3

6'9" 240ish is big for a 3 and at the moment we dont have anyone to move him over, what sort of line-up do you think we run where we'd see Josh at the 3?

Scott will get time as a 4 and eventually at the 3

Thanks for stopping by and offering some insight. I know you just scouted him in person in Vegas for BuffScoop, so when you say the "3" at times for him, I'm guessing you saw more of a face-up game and lateral agility than we were expecting?

Really going to be tough to defend us if we're able to play guys like Scott and Cain at the 3 without sacrificing our offensive system.

Thanks for stopping by and offering some insight. I know you just scouted him in person in Vegas for BuffScoop, so when you say the "3" at times for him, I'm guessing you saw more of a face-up game and lateral agility than we were expecting?

Really going to be tough to defend us if we're able to play guys like Scott and Cain at the 3 without sacrificing our offensive system.

He went up against some defenders that had length on him, and he took them outside and off of the dribble. He has been working on his perimeter skill set and has been told he needs to work towards becoming a three.

Cain at the three spot?? See to me, he has 4 all over him, and if he beefs up, then he could even play undersized 5 (typical 4 disguised as a 5)...

Scott I recall when we first got him, was supposed to be projected as a 3 - I forget who initially had a review of him. I want to say I read it in a paper or something, and then during the summer, it seemed we kept hearing about some good post moves. If he plays both, great, but I hope he continues to develop some inside toughness.

Cain at the three spot?? See to me, he has 4 all over him, and if he beefs up, then he could even play undersized 5 (typical 4 disguised as a 5)...

That's how I'm viewing Cain as well. I realize it's hard to tell until you actually see him in here, but by all accounts he's a banger and it wouldn't surprise me to see him playing the "5" with Scott at the "4".

Cain said in recent interviews that he was forced to play out of position as a 4 and he's spent the summer developing his skills as a 3. I think that gives us some lineup versatility and he'll play a Larry Johnson UNLV type role (Roberson is our Augmon). Let's hope they're even half as good. :smile2:

Sounds to me like he is going to be a badass no matter where we put him

-----------

You are right. I think the point is you want your best rebounders and post scorers in the paint, with room to operate.

I realize that.... was just trying to lighten the mood :huh:

He is not a 3 in any way.

According to this ESPN blog, he is a center... They rank him as one of the most fundamental and best rebounding centers. But he will be a PF in the Pac 12.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6877344

Again, he is not a 3 right now. But all his skill work that he's been doing has been geared towards becoming a guy who can swing to that position depending on match ups. So yes, the coaches will be looking at him as a 3 down the line.

Again, he is not a 3 right now. But all his skill work that he's been doing has been geared towards becoming a guy who can swing to that position depending on match ups. So yes, the coaches will be looking at him as a 3 down the line.

Just from a common sense perspective...

If he is working on his perimeter skills, it would make more sense to have him at the 4/5 where he could use that to his advantage on same sized guys or bigger guys, wouldn't it? That would be an advantage. Is a 6'9" dude really going to take a 6'6" guy off the dribble, or come off screens shooting 3's? Plus, he would have to chase a much smaller guy around the 3 pt. line on defense... It makes no sense. He is surely working to become a more complete player but I seriously doubt he will ever be on the perimeter as a wing, regardless of match ups.

Last edited:
COHoops,

I was thinking the same thing. Especially with Boyle's "3 guard" offense. I see him as a 4 that can stretch offenses more than a 3. But from everything we've been hearing, it sounds like Boyle might be changing things a bit. If Roberson can play the 3, so can Scott.

Just from a common sense perspective...

If he is working on his perimeter skills, it would make more sense to have him at the 4/5 where he could use that to his advantage on same sized guys or bigger guys, wouldn't it? That would be an advantage. Is a 6'9" dude really going to take a 6'6" guy off the dribble, or come off screens shooting 3's? Plus, he would have to chase a much smaller guy around the 3 pt. line on defense... It makes no sense. He is surely working to become a more complete player but I seriously doubt he will ever be on the perimeter as a wing, regardless of match ups.

Just from a common sense perspective, he's been quoted.

Look, I agree that it would make more initial sense that we could play Scott at the PF and pull him outside to utilize match ups against teams like Oregon State, Stanford etc that might have less athletic bigs. Now that we are out of the picture with Edosomwan, I would agree that all bets point towards Josh staying at the 4. But had we landed Zena, or another big with a similar skill set, it would have been a nightmare for other squads to match up with two 6'9 guys who can take it inside, outside or dish it to another big at the 5.

I think we'll see times we go big next year with three of Tunks, Mills, Gordon, Scott, Roberson and Cain. But I'd expect to see Roberson and Cain playing the 3 when we do that. If Scott could give a few minutes experimenting there, that would just add another wrinkle for a few minutes a night. Regardless, range and ball skill improvement will make him an extremely difficult cover at the 4.

I'm really excited about our front court over the next several years.

Both Josh and Zena are comfortable in the extended post (13-17 feet), but I'm not sure either could survive on the perimeter if there were a smaller, quicker, perimeter kid guarding them. I wouldn't want them dribbling out there too much in the half court. But both can handle in the open floor.... Zena is a nice player, and would have been a great pickup.

I came across this game of Josh and Zena playing against one another. Grant Jarrett (Arizona recruit) is also playing. Josh did a nice job of battling both big guys and keeping his team in it. The Blue team has 3 other high major guards too. Check it out:

http://www.ihigh.com/westcoasthoops/broadcast_169452.html?silverlight=1

Last edited:
Per Adam, he's #66 in the Rivals 150 now.

Edit -- and now Rivals becomes the final service to finally give him a 4* ranking.

Per Adam, he's #66 in the Rivals 150 now.

Edit -- and now Rivals becomes the final service to finally give him a 4* ranking.

247sports also finally did a profile. 4*-93 grade and its #64 prospect for 2012.

Here's the "Top 247". Lots of familiar names on there.

Back