What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Paul Thurston (Signed to Nebraska)

I want to see us return to the point where we expect the top players in Colorado to think CU first. I get the impression that JE feels the same way and is willing to do what is needed to make it happen.

Guys like Mustoe and Thurston can be a big part of bringing that back. It means a lot when the Buffs are on a national TV game and when they announce the O-line 3-4 of the starters are Colorado HS players. Thurston and Mustoe are similar in a lot of ways other than being HS teammates. They are both physically BCS caliber players and have the football intelligence to learn and perform in a pro type offense. They are also high character guys, the kind that not only stay positive themselves but influence their teammates to move in the right direction on and off the field.

These guys could be building blocks in a new era of tradition for the CUBuffs.

I want to see us return to the point where we expect the top players in Colorado to think CU first. I get the impression that JE feels the same way and is willing to do what is needed to make it happen.

Guys like Mustoe and Thurston can be a big part of bringing that back. It means a lot when the Buffs are on a national TV game and when they announce the O-line 3-4 of the starters are Colorado HS players. Thurston and Mustoe are similar in a lot of ways other than being HS teammates. They are both physically BCS caliber players and have the football intelligence to learn and perform in a pro type offense. They are also high character guys, the kind that not only stay positive themselves but influence their teammates to move in the right direction on and off the field.

These guys could be building blocks in a new era of tradition for the CUBuffs.

I know what you are trying to say with this post and there are some good thoughts in it, but you really cannot compare Thurston and Mustoe as prospects IMO. Thurston is much more athletic and is the type of player you look for in a LT. Mustoe is much more raw and was offered by a lot of schools simply because he is huge.

It is going to take Mustoe a while to adjust to the next level while Thurston has the potential to be an early contributor in college.

I know what you are trying to say with this post and there are some good thoughts in it, but you really cannot compare Thurston and Mustoe as prospects IMO. Thurston is much more athletic and is the type of player you look for in a LT. Mustoe is much more raw and was offered by a lot of schools simply because he is huge.

It is going to take Mustoe a while to adjust to the next level while Thurston has the potential to be an early contributor in college.

Agree, but at the same time they both have the potential to be anchors for this team in a number of ways. Both are the kind of Colorado HS players that we should and can be getting to form the neucleus of this team.

He is getting some pretty elite offers with more to come. I still think he ends up a Buff in the end

Also, Paul Thurston's Oline coach, and Uncle (I think), is Guy Thurston. Guy Thurston lettered at Guard for CU in 1979 and 1980 before transferring to SMU.

Whoa, Guy Thurston was my football coach at Standley Lake. I didn't know what happened to him.

Whoa, Guy Thurston was my football coach at Standley Lake. I didn't know what happened to him.

Yeah, he was my D-Line coach at Bear Creek after Stanley Lake. He then became the head coach at Wheat Ridge, and later went back to AWest.

The services are all reporting 10 offers for Thurston now. 247 Sports has added a profile. Scout has given an initial 3* rating.

iirc, one of the services had a headline that Thurston's visit to nubby-land was "rock-solid". grrrrrrrrrr

Means nothing other than the services want to kiss butt in Nebsiberia to keep the paying customers happy. The Fuskers are always convinced that every kid that visits is going to forget every other school in the world and drop down on their knees and pray for a kNU offer. When the kid doesn't go there that means to them that a) kNU had a better prospect and really wasn't interested b)the kid wasn't going to make it academically c) the kid was bought off d) some other lame excuse or most often e) all of the above options.

This is a kid who is smart enough to say nice things about wherever he visits. He's not going to close any doors and the services don't sell subscriptions by telling the customers that their school sucks so all this goes with a large grain of salt. He might end up in niblet land but a service article, unless it actually has him saying something specific about commiting is pretty meaningless.

Probably meant that his upcoming visit is "rock solid" rather than just something he might do. Thurston scheduled a trip out on April 16th for the Niblet spring game. And, yes, Nebraska sites engage in a bit of hyperbole with their articles (especially the headlines).

Means nothing other than the services want to kiss butt in Nebsiberia to keep the paying customers happy. The Fuskers are always convinced that every kid that visits is going to forget every other school in the world and drop down on their knees and pray for a kNU offer. When the kid doesn't go there that means to them that a) kNU had a better prospect and really wasn't interested b)the kid wasn't going to make it academically c) the kid was bought off d) some other lame excuse or most often e) all of the above options.

This is a kid who is smart enough to say nice things about wherever he visits. He's not going to close any doors and the services don't sell subscriptions by telling the customers that their school sucks so all this goes with a large grain of salt. He might end up in niblet land but a service article, unless it actually has him saying something specific about commiting is pretty meaningless.

In this case, I think your reaction is a bit overboard. He is visiting for Nebraska's spring game, which would be the second school he has actually visited.

In the first update he had with the Nebraska rivals site in February, they printed some pretty glowing remarks from him about CU and the new coaching staff. In fact, that update implied CU was his leader.

In this case, I think your reaction is a bit overboard. He is visiting for Nebraska's spring game, which would be the second school he has actually visited.

In the first update he had with the Nebraska rivals site in February, they printed some pretty glowing remarks from him about CU and the new coaching staff. In fact, that update implied CU was his leader.

Possible since I don't pay for the services so didn't read the article. I know from articles I have read in the past on others accounts that the articles tend to put a very favorable slant to every story.

Even when they put in favorable comments about another school they tend to "hold out hope" for the target audience.

Example: (with a little sarcasm added)
Service: "So you are still considering going to Big Time U?"
Player: "I guess if I didn't get an offer from anyone else and couldn't come up with the money to walk-on someplace I actually like I might consider it."
Headline: "Player still open to Big Time U."

The actual quote may end up in the article but buried a little after the headline draws potential readers in.

It would be nice if he commits at the spring game so the bugeaters can start with the excuses

Thurston likely takes at least a few visits to other schools, but I would be surprised if he has not committed to the Buffs when summer rolls around. Just glad to see him get his due. Any other year where there are not several elite OL prospects out west and he might have upwards of 30 offers by now.

Spring Game visitor or no?

:thumbsup:

Thank you, Adam!

adamcm777 Adam Munsterteiger
Add Arvada West offensive lineman Paul Thurston to the list of prospects expected to attend #cubuffs Junior Day and spring game on Saturday.

From Stuart at CUatthegame

As to his requirements from a school … “I am looking for a college that has solid academics,” Thurston told GoBlueWolverine.com. “I would like to major in Journalism.

looks like were ****ed

From Stuart at CUatthegame

As to his requirements from a school … “I am looking for a college that has solid academics,” Thurston told GoBlueWolverine.com. “I would like to major in Journalism.

looks like were ****ed

You can still major in journalism even though there is no longer a journalism school.

Really? Thanks for the info. The whole thing with the J school has been so convoluted, I have had a hard time keeping it straight. Still given all of the upheaval it could still be bad for us.

Really? Thanks for the info. The whole thing with the J school has been so convoluted, I have had a hard time keeping it straight. Still given all of the upheaval it could still be bad for us.

I'm not positive about this but I had a journalism class today and that's what the professor said. It makes, you can major in German but there is no "school of linguistics." There will still be plenty of journalism/mass communication courses for Paul.

Last edited:
There you go again. :lol: So you're theory is that it's not part of ASU because it's not physically contiguous with the rest of the campus? Wow, you probably just negated some part of just about every major university in the country. Anyway, your 3rd grade commentary doesn't negate the fact that this school exists and is a selling point we have to contend with.

Last edited:
Back