1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'12 CO PF Wesley Gordon (Signed to Colorado)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by NashBuff, Feb 9, 2011.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247Sports

[​IMG]
    Sierra H.S. (Colorado Springs, CO)

AAU: Colorado Hawks

Ht: 6-foot-8
    Wt: 220 lbs

Rivals rating: 3*; unranked PF
    Scout rating: 4*; #26 C
    ESPN rating: 2*-88 grade; #47 PF
    247 rating: NR

Reported Offers: Colorado

Recent Denver Post link: http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2011/02/09/cu-hoops-targeting-two-colorado-springs-bigs/15836/

Gordon plays for traditional Colorado Springs power Sierra who plays at the class 4A level.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Thanks, Nash.

I'll work on trying to find some more info tomorrow and will edit up your OP into the profile format.

Anyone have any insight into why it seems that Colorado Springs has more basketball talent than Denver? It makes absolutely no sense to me, but I haven't lived here all my life. (We'll split this off if it turns into a hijack, so don't worry about commenting.)

3. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I think a lot of it has to do with military families moving into Colorado Springs more readily than Denver.

4. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

makes sense

5. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

I think CO Spgs may have more prospects per capita, but I would definitely not say that they have produced more talent than Denver has (this year - if you consider Scott to be a legit big time player - and last year shouldn't be considered the norm)...Denver has two great freshmen right now at Kennedy and East.

6. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

I'm not sure that the talent level is any higher in COS. HS basketball down here seems to be very cyclical. Programs like Sierra tend to trend up with a good head coach who gets a couple of good classes together. The thing kind of feeds on itself for a while, then either the coach leaves, or the talent leaves and they go back to mediocre. Programs like Sierra, Harrison, Widefield, Mesa Ridge, and Fountain-Fort Carson do occasionally benefit from military kids. Others, like Palmer and Doherty, are not in "military" parts of town, and more often rely on the head coach, and the talent from feeder Junior Highs.

Would be nice, from my perspective, to see a couple of COS kids play in Boulder. Sure would help with the media coverage down here, as they usually don't even give the CU score on the 10 o'clock sports.

7. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

According to Scout he is now a Buff.

8. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

wow, welcome to the silver, black, gold and white.

9. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

10. Buffnik

http://colorado.scout.com/2/1053560.html

Wesley Gordon, a 6-foot-7, wing from Sierra High School in Colorado Springs was on hand to watch the Buffs beat Nebraska and earn their 19th victory of the year and a No. 5 seed in the Big 12 tournament next week.

Gordon informed coach Tad Boyle and his staff that he will be a Buff in 2012. His father, Ed Gordon, confirmed the decision on his way out of the arena.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

11. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

Any video on this guy? Seems like he is not that tall as PF

12. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

How big of a get is this for us from a talent perspective?

13. Buffnik

Scott described him as being an incredible shot blocker. Both of these in-state guys are very athletic, from all accounts. Pretty skilled offensively for guys their size and age, too.

14. Buffnik

I agree. I switched him to SF. That's what Scout had him as, too. You can play PF at 6'6" or 6'7" if you're built like Damiene Cain, but Gordon is built more like Dre Roberson and he'd be out of position if he was asked to hold post position against a big PF. Kind of like we've seen Dre and Marcus struggle with all season (amazing how well they've done, actually).

15. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

I think Colo. Springs is a place that needs to be explored a lot more often. Lots of sleepers. Interesting note that Chucky Jeffery from the women's team is also from Sierra and wasn't highly recruited at all.

16. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Can he shoot? If so he can create some serious match up problems

17. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

+1....I was going to say that the last BB player from Sierra to come to CU has worked out pretty well

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

hmm. where does this leave us with 2012 recruits? One spot left?

19. Buffnik

Yep. We graduate Austin, Nate & Trey.

20. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

whelp. we've closed the borders. time to go land a big fish out in the deeps of cali or texas.

21. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

Should have two more if you count Carlon Brown, the transfer from Utah

22. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

good call.

23. Buffnik

Thank you. Forgot about Brown. Good size class next year.

24. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Bobby Purify was from Colorado Springs. But I agree that CU doesn't generally get a lot of players from there and it's perplexing.

Basketall talent in Colorado has really suffered since the days of Chauncey Billups. It used to be that if you could get the best player from Colorado every year, you could build the nucleus of a very solid basketball team. Guys like Chucky Sproling, Tom Chambers, Mark Randall, etc would come along about once every 2-3 years. CU didn't get any of those guys, but if they had, they'd have been a lot better. It wasn't until Chauncey that CU landed a true Blue Chip player from Colorado, and there really hasn't been one since then.

25. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Interesting... I have no idea how good he is but this is a surprise. Hopefully he is better than an out-of-state player we could have signed. But, welcome Wesley

26. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Highly disagree, but we may have different definitions on "blue-chip". Matt Bouldin was definitely a national level recruit, and so was Reggie Jackson. Matt Carroll was also pretty talented.

While I can't talk about when Chambers and Randall were in HS, I do not think that there was ever a time that if you got the top CO HS player, you'd have a solid nucleus. I was born in '81, and never has this state produced enough players for a solid nucleus. One player every 2-3 years doesn't make a nucleus - you need a few guys every single year.

27. Buffnik

Colorado prep basketball will produce 1-2 prospects a year (on average) who are good enough to attract a scholarship from a Big 6 conference or an elite mid-major (Gonzaga, Xavier, Memphis, etc).

Be nice if CU could sign the majority of those guys, but it can't be the foundation of the program. That probably needs to be Los Angeles.

28. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Maybe the deepest year ever in Colorado was in 1977, CU got out the crop in state (and please somebody correct my errors since all this is from memory) Craig Austin who was a 6"9" power forward who became a 3-4 year letterman out of Jeffco, Dave Netherton a 6'11 center out of Pueblo, Jim Feeney, a 6'1" guard out of I think Fairview. All three had other Big 8 offers and were well thought of coming out of HS. Austin had a very solid career at CU knocking bodies out of the way as a rebounder and tough defender, Netherton was a solid but not spectacular player who had some skills including blocking shots but never got strong enough to really battle in the paint and Feeney started well but only played a couple of years due to knee injuries. Another good guard last name Gallagher went to DU and played well at a lower level school. The real loss of the year was Chambers who despite pressure from the others never seriously considered CU. If he had come and had the others as supporting players CU would have been very good for a few years.

29. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Possibly Burks as well if he stays.

30. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Thankfully we only have one unknown. It really makes recruiting up in the air though.