What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO TE Evan Baylis (Signed to Oregon)

Most likely Oregon showed him a bunch of wins over the past few years, the facilities that Phil Knights money has built, and made him a bunch of promises about "We just need a TE like you to start throwing the ball to the TE 70 times a season"

If the kid thinks that Oregon is where he should go then I will respect that decision. HS kids aren't know for being the best decision makers but they have to start sometime. Would have liked to see him go to CU and that still might happen but it's his decision to make and for better or worse he gets to make it.

I think he would have had a much better experience at CU but quality kids make a good experience out of wherever they go. Now if CU loses out on a bunch of other Colorado kids then I will get pissed.

Recruting the best players should be the goal. After watching Colorado HS football in 2010, there aren't that many great players coming out in 2012 so far. But that can change with one more year of football to go.

Recruting the best players should be the goal. After watching Colorado HS football in 2010, there aren't that many great players coming out in 2012 so far. But that can change with one more year of football to go.

I guess you see this class of Colorado prospects much different than our coaching staff.

I'm having a hard time believing he'll stick to his commitment until February.

He sounded pretty sold on Oregon: campus, facilities, coaches, and degree program. I think it's going to be tough to move him off that choice now he's made it. I'd love to be wrong.

Can anyone say Dooooooooommm? I think we will only get about half or maybe less of the in-staters we want. It seems like once they got legit out of state offers the nostalgia of staying in-state started to wear off

He sounded pretty sold on Oregon: campus, facilities, coaches, and degree program. I think it's going to be tough to move him off that choice now he's made it. I'd love to be wrong.
What happens when he gets thrown to once a year?

Can anyone say Dooooooooommm? I think we will only get about half or maybe less of the in-staters we want. It seems like once they got legit out of state offers the nostalgia of staying in-state started to wear off

This is why we need to do a lot better on the field, starting right away, even if it doesn't always translate to wins. They've gotta see the potential and want to be part of it.

Winning this season will have a lot bigger impact on the 2013 class than the 2012 class. Even if we have a disappointing year, we can sell playing time and a new staff. We just have to look decent while losing (like when Stanford was losing but upset USC a few years ago). Winning certainly would help a bit in 2012, but it will have a larger impact on making it much easier to get a jump on the 2013 class.

Disapointing, don't get his decison. Why would anybody want to go play in that running first spread offense, over a pro style offense that depends heavily on TE in the passing game. Makes no sense, hopefully he will come to his senses and change his commitment.

Honestly, take emotion out of it for a minute - you've got two offers on the table, one is from a program that has been irrelevant for 8-9 years, is breaking in a brand new coach who has never been a HC before, and will run an offense that is a question mark because no one has seen it yet...the other is from the defending conference champion coming off a BCS championship game, they have arguably the best facilitites in the country, and they will play in Boulder at least twice during your college career.

Look I hope he has a change of heart, but no one should be shocked when a kid makes a decision like this.

Honestly, take emotion out of it for a minute - you've got two offers on the table, one is from a program that has been irrelevant for 8-9 years, is breaking in a brand new coach who has never been a HC before, and will run an offense that is a question mark because no one has seen it yet...the other is from the defending conference champion coming off a BCS championship game, they have arguably the best facilitites in the country, and they will play in Boulder at least twice during your college career.

Look I hope he has a change of heart, but no one should be shocked when a kid makes a decision like this.
But why would a TE commit to Oregon, whom doesn't throw to TE's often, if at all? I get being caught up in the facilities, winning, and coming off of a BCS game, but unless he only wants to block at Oregon, I don't see the logic in this.

We can still pull plenty of top talent from this years recruiting crop. I think we could also flip Baylis with a solid showing this year. It's going to be fun to watch.

This years class is really big for the new staff.

But why would a TE commit to Oregon, whom doesn't throw to TE's often, if at all? I get being caught up in the facilities, winning, and coming off of a BCS game, but unless he only wants to block at Oregon, I don't see the logic in this.

Maybe he's more interested in winning than catching a ton of balls, maybe the coaches told them they plan to use the TE more this year, maybe Helfrich unloaded a top 10 list of reasons CU is the worst program in the country, who knows, but I don't see how people can seem so shocked a kid picks Oregon over CU.

Maybe he's more interested in winning than catching a ton of balls, maybe the coaches told them they plan to use the TE more this year, maybe Helfrich unloaded a top 10 list of reasons CU is the worst program in the country, who knows, but I don't see how people can seem so shocked a kid picks Oregon over CU.

I'm not shocked. But there are some damn good reasons for him to commit to CU, too. You just listed the negatives.

Our head coach is one of the premier TE coaches in the nation, the offense is featuring the position, it's Baylis's home state's flagship university, one of his good friends (Clay Norgard) is committed, there's a great opportunity to get playing time as a true freshman, it is a program that has shown over time that it is in the upper echelon and can be elite, the academics are superior, and there's a definite appeal to being part of the recruiting class that brings a program back to prominence.

Taking nothing away from Oregon and all it has going for it, CU has a hell of a lot to sell to Evan Baylis too.

Well that sucks. I was definitely thinking Baylis was ours to lose, which we apparently have. As long as we get one of Cope-Fitzpatrick/McNamara/Kourtzidis then it won't hurt as much, but I was hoping it would be more of a Baylis + one of those situations.

Sometimes kids just want to get as far away from their parents/hometown as possible.

I also think every school offers early playing time. "If you come in and work hard" line is probably pitched by every school to every top recruit. So I don't think it's a pitch that we should be counting on. :lol:

Plus have you seen Oregons facilities? I know that's probably not the deciding factor, but they do have some sweet digs.

[video=youtube;J1NyaTVUhFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NyaTVUhFQ[/video]

I'm not shocked. But there are some damn good reasons for him to commit to CU, too. You just listed the negatives.

Our head coach is one of the premier TE coaches in the nation, the offense is featuring the position, it's Baylis's home state's flagship university, one of his good friends (Clay Norgard) is committed, there's a great opportunity to get playing time as a true freshman, it is a program that has shown over time that it is in the upper echelon and can be elite, the academics are superior, and there's a definite appeal to being part of the recruiting class that brings a program back to prominence.

Taking nothing away from Oregon and all it has going for it, CU has a hell of a lot to sell to Evan Baylis too.

No question, CU has tons to offer, but from some of the earlier posts you would have thought we lost him to CSU or something.

Another thing is no top recruit is going to know who Jon Embree is until he does something here as our HC. When your going up against Chip Kelley, Slick Rick, Bob Stoops, and Mack Brown for recruits, few kids are going to be wowed by Jon Embree's name.

I think Baylis will take some visits and this one will drag out awhile. I actually think Stanford might end up being the destination, but our coaches will not give up on this one. We need tight ends in this class and Brookhart will stay on him.

As far as winning this season, we will need to show something, but new coaching staffs generally get a pretty big bump regardless of record. But Nik is right, what we show on the field this season has a bigger impact on the 2013 class.

I guess. I'm just getting sick and tired of hearing the "wait till next year" line.

I'm with you on that.

I want to win this year. We need it on so many levels. And for recruiting, we've got such a huge senior class that we can promise every recruit early playing time regardless of position or how well the season goes.

Might be worth keeping an eye on Baylis. There is major trouble brewing in Eugene.

Might be worth keeping an eye on Baylis. There is major trouble brewing in Eugene.

We can only hope he wises up on this one. Coach will be fired over this, probably other people in the AD since there was a cover up, it might be an institutional control issue since the hoops team is also under investigation, and there was also the issue with the UO administrator giving a player the use of a rental car. This thing's going to explode and the penalty will be worse than USC got or what OSU is going to get. Those were extra benefits for players after signing, Oregon's got that going on plus paying money to directly gain recruiting advantages. Unlike OSU, who self-reported, the UO people tried to cover their situation up. It's going to be bad when the **** hits the fan.

If we have a good season, and with a OV from Baylis during home coming weekend, i have a strong feeling that we can flip him.

Hope to see you and Nick in Boulder this fall, Evan. I think Christian's headed back up, too. The pro-stye offense will look better for the next level.

Back