What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 DC CB John Walker (Signed to Colorado)

Nice to get a good piece of recruiting news heading into a big weekend! Welcome aboard, John!

Nice :thumbsup: Welcome to the Buffs and good decision young man!! You will LOVE Boulder !!

ESPN just gave a solid 3* rating to Walker (#50 CB).

Here's the evaluation they posted on him today (1/13):

Walker is lean, rangy defensive back prospect falling under the radar some. Not a burner in regards to speed but covers a lot of ground and takes good angles to ball. Savvy, instinctive and smart; makes quick reads at both safety and corner and displays good field awareness. Excels in zone schemes at corner, mid-pointing high-low routes, anticipates throws and closes on the ball with above average burst. Shows good tracking skills in deep zone coverage as well and more than adequate ball skills. In man-to-man he flashes some lockdown ability and shows he can press and reroute. Quick out of breaks and tight in turns to stick with receivers and undercut routes. Overall transitions well and is technically sound in his footwork. A willing run supporter who comes up quickly on the perimeter and runs the alley with sharp angles when deployed at safety. Sound tackler. A bit of a tweener as he lacks ideal recover speed/hip fluidity for a major level cover corner and while aggressive he will need more size and strength to make an impact as a college safety. Overall, Walker is still a quality prospect who may excel best as a Nickel back or in hard zone schemes at corner as he works to possess safety measurables

ESPN just gave a solid 3* rating to Walker (#50 CB).

Here's the evaluation they posted on him today (1/13):

Walker is lean, rangy defensive back prospect falling under the radar some. Not a burner in regards to speed but covers a lot of ground and takes good angles to ball. Savvy, instinctive and smart; makes quick reads at both safety and corner and displays good field awareness. Excels in zone schemes at corner, mid-pointing high-low routes, anticipates throws and closes on the ball with above average burst. Shows good tracking skills in deep zone coverage as well and more than adequate ball skills. In man-to-man he flashes some lockdown ability and shows he can press and reroute. Quick out of breaks and tight in turns to stick with receivers and undercut routes. Overall transitions well and is technically sound in his footwork. A willing run supporter who comes up quickly on the perimeter and runs the alley with sharp angles when deployed at safety. Sound tackler. A bit of a tweener as he lacks ideal recover speed/hip fluidity for a major level cover corner and while aggressive he will need more size and strength to make an impact as a college safety. Overall, Walker is still a quality prospect who may excel best as a Nickel back or in hard zone schemes at corner as he works to possess safety measurables

That sounds pretty good. This high school must have the best pass D in the county.

First of all, good pickup. He should help us with upgrading the overall athleticism in the secondary.

Second, I am going to eat some crow on Greg Brown and his recruiting ability. Still some work to do (we all know the two big fish still out there), but I have heard more comments about him from recruits in this cycle than I have in his entire previous stint. He is finally a true asset. Happy to see it and also glad he is working under a coach that demands effort from all of his coaches on the recruiting trail.

Happy to see it and also glad he is working under a coach that demands effort from all of his coaches on the recruiting trail.

That was my first thought. JE probably told him there are no free rides on the recruiting trail, especially as a DC and position coach. Hopefully he can land atleast one of those other guys (lot more faith in Crawley then Wright).

First of all, good pickup. He should help us with upgrading the overall athleticism in the secondary.

Second, I am going to eat some crow on Greg Brown and his recruiting ability. Still some work to do (we all know the two big fish still out there), but I have heard more comments about him from recruits in this cycle than I have in his entire previous stint. He is finally a true asset. Happy to see it and also glad he is working under a coach that demands effort from all of his coaches on the recruiting trail.

I'd add that everyone becomes a better salesman when he believes in his product. By the time that the 2009 cycle was winding down, I'm not so sure that Brown, Cabral and others felt with all their soul that CU was a better situation for an in-demand prospect when he had opportunities at other BCS programs. They're true believers now.

With Brown specifically, he came in as an NFL guy and Hawkins didn't put recruiting expectations on him. I think the year under Stoops made a big difference here. I think he has accepted that it's a vital part of the job and under Embree he has learned that it can also be fun.

Black and Gold!

wsbjwbl.jpg
J%20&%20W%20Gold.jpg

Did Walker get moved to a 4* now? I noticed on the side of buffscoop.com. Scout and Rivals show him as 2* and a 3*.

I'm not a big fan of the star rating as we've all discussed. But I thought that might be an interesting development.

I just checked Rivals, Scout and 247 -- Dillon is still listed as a 3*.[/QUOTE

Dillon was a 4* until he commited to the Buffs. All he's done since is get named to the Elite 11 and win the state championship, so it makes no sense whatsoever that they downgraded him. ESPN knocked him all the way down to the #51 QB in the class, even though the Elite 11 is their own camp. The star system is run by websites that exist only to make money, so don't be surprised that they suck at the tit of the holy greenback. Ever go to ESPN's recruiting banner and see all of the HornsNation, DawnNation, WeAreSC, bullsh*t? They don't even pretend to be unbiased. The only time you should care at all about the star system is at positions that rely solely on athletic ability like CB, and last I checked we were looking pretty good there for this class.

UtahBuff -- don't tell me what I should or should not care about. I responded to Downtown when he indicated Dillon was a 4, and I did so only after checking the sites to see if there had been a recent change.

I do agree that this year's commits are looking good in terms of athleticism, speed, and for the most part, positional needs.

Walker and Crawley are both expected to play cornerback for the Buffs. They are very different players, however.

"Everybody knows Kenneth is a real good cover corner and he is taller than me so he can jump higher. He has great recovery speed," Walker said. "I am more aggressive than he is. I like to tackle, while Kenneth really doesn't like to tackle. He would rather go for an interception and I would rather go for a big hit."
http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1325107

Back