What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 MD RB Wes Brown (Signed to Maryland)

Not enough to be talented on the next level. You gotta have a certain mentality.

How's Greg Henderson doing BTW? He looks mature beyond his years.
Yuri's a 17 year old getting national attention. Yuri is a special talent and we need him.

Not enough to be talented on the next level. You gotta have a certain mentality.

How's Greg Henderson doing BTW? He looks mature beyond his years.

He's playing very well. And he was our 2nd or 3rd best cornerback in the group with Bell and Harrington. Deji's getting a chance to develop and Orms is leading the team in tackles but should be able to move to safety next year. I'd love to get a blue chip in at CB this cycle who could be expected to compete for a starting job right away, but this is not the pressing need people are thinking it is. We can afford to load up on athletes and develop them.

Now, RB is a pressing need. I like Tony Jones, but we need a freshman to come in and compete for a lot of carries from day one. I really want Wes Brown.

Yuri's a 17 year old getting national attention. Yuri is a special talent and we need him.

Highlander's point is a little extreme but not to be missed. It is the only way to explain how bad notre dame and Michigan have been year after year, along with the down years USC, alabama, florida, OSU, etc have sometimes. Guys that succeed need to keep working hard, but too many immature high schoolers don't realize that they are only going to be as good as the extra work they put in beyond their talent level.

You either need a no BS coach to set them straight or identify the 4 and 5 star kids that have the same mentality as a 2 or 3 star kid with a chip on his shoulder

You either need a no BS coach to set them straight or identify the 4 and 5 star kids that have the same mentality as a 2 or 3 star kid with a chip on his shoulder

I think that's something we can all agree on.

Whether a guy is an unrated walk on or a 5* recruit, we should only recruit guys into the program who have a great work ethic. Having scholarship guys who are here because they are good athletes who developed early... but didn't ever have to work and feel entitled... is a recipe for disaster.

In case anyone missed it, Jon Major had a quote this week about how all the freshmen are just like Jon Embree in the way they get after it and take care of business.

Yuri is a good player with a lot of hype seems to yoyo from minute to minute. I think we probably invested a lot of time in him only to have quote a reporter or Don MAC the next day that we weren't showing him love like other schools.

I'm all about recruiting a guy hard until you are expected to get on your knees and perform tricks for them. That compromises your ability to coach them hard.

Is love to have Yuri and I think the coaches tried hard to get him. Just wasn't the right fit. That's how it goes. Winning in the end will cure all these problems ( and we will ) while still having dignity in tact.

I think that's something we can all agree on.

Whether a guy is an unrated walk on or a 5* recruit, we should only recruit guys into the program who have a great work ethic. Having scholarship guys who are here because they are good athletes who developed early... but didn't ever have to work and feel entitled... is a recipe for disaster.

In case anyone missed it, Jon Major had a quote this week about how all the freshmen are just like Jon Embree in the way they get after it and take care of business.

That's awesome. Love reading that. I want talented kids as much as the next buff fan. Do our coaches need to sell their soul to do it? Nope. A lot of talent out there. We need to find players who fit our identity, skill wise, mentality and maturity.

I have to disagree with some of you guys here. Yes, it is great to get hard working guys in here who want to improve and make themselves better than the 2 star rating but sometimes you have to get the freak athletes in here too. Guys who are just better than everyone else because of god given ability. Look at Braxton Miller for Ohio St. You think that guy has worked his butt off to become an amazing player? No, the dude is just a freak athletically. We absolutely have to start landing a guy or two like that per cylce or we are going to be complete bottom feeders in the Pac 12. We only have one guy on our team right now who is even close to a major difference maker. Paul Richardson. I will also say that we have Ryan Miller who works his butt off to be a very good player. We need all types in here. Not just guys who are willing to work so damn hard to get better. That works in small samples but you can't expect to field an entire team like that.

I only watched about half the Ohio St. game because I had to go to work but the half I watched it was obvious we were over matched physically. They were tougher, faster, and far more athletic. To me that was a recruiting thing. I think I heard they were only starting something like 3 SR's on the entire team. So we got our butts whooped by a young team that was just far more talented than us. I blame Dan Hawkins for keeping the cupboard so bare.

Positives: If you are a recruit who wants to play a lot as a true fresh or RS fresh come on down to CU. We have places for you at WR, OL, TE, RB, DB, S, KR/PR, & Special Teams plays. There is a tremendous amount of opportunity to play early and develop your skills.

Positive #2: USC is on the way down boys. I expect for them to be unranked for most of the next couple years.

I only watched about half the Ohio St. game because I had to go to work but the half I watched it was obvious we were over matched physically. They were tougher, faster, and far more athletic. To me that was a recruiting thing. I think I heard they were only starting something like 3 SR's on the entire team. So we got our butts whooped by a young team that was just far more talented than us. I blame Dan Hawkins for keeping the cupboard so bare.

Positives: If you are a recruit who wants to play a lot as a true fresh or RS fresh come on down to CU. We have places for you at WR, OL, TE, RB, DB, S, KR/PR, & Special Teams plays. There is a tremendous amount of opportunity to play early and develop your skills.

Positive #2: USC is on the way down boys. I expect for them to be unranked for most of the next couple years.

Might be a little early to say that USC is on the way down, but that could very well be true. I don't understand the Lane Kiffin hype. Where has he had success? An ideal situation for the Buffs would be Slick Rick and Kiffin doing just well enough to keep their jobs for the next couple of years. UCLA and especially USC could be dominant with the right coaches, so better to have the current ones and not risk the unknown. That said, it won't mean anything if we don't improve significantly. I hope our coaches are very good talent evaluators because I don't see that many blue chip players signing up with the Buffs until we show better results.

I have to disagree with some of you guys here. Yes, it is great to get hard working guys in here who want to improve and make themselves better than the 2 star rating but sometimes you have to get the freak athletes in here too. Guys who are just better than everyone else because of god given ability. Look at Braxton Miller for Ohio St. You think that guy has worked his butt off to become an amazing player? No, the dude is just a freak athletically. We absolutely have to start landing a guy or two like that per cylce or we are going to be complete bottom feeders in the Pac 12. We only have one guy on our team right now who is even close to a major difference maker. Paul Richardson. I will also say that we have Ryan Miller who works his butt off to be a very good player. We need all types in here. Not just guys who are willing to work so damn hard to get better. That works in small samples but you can't expect to field an entire team like that.

We have Connor Wood and Shane Dillon coming, both were/are four star players as rated by Rivals. The talent is COMING, we all just wish it would get here a little faster. It's going to take time on several fronts to prove to recruits that we belong and they have to develop a relationship with their coaches and see the big picture. I think we've landed some absolute steals at WR, DL looks very solid and I think Payne is a player but we need to get going recruiting other areas, namely the OL, LB and DB.

Might be a little early to say that USC is on the way down, but that could very well be true. I don't understand the Lane Kiffin hype. Where has he had success? An ideal situation for the Buffs would be Slick Rick and Kiffin doing just well enough to keep their jobs for the next couple of years. UCLA and especially USC could be dominant with the right coaches, so better to have the current ones and not risk the unknown. That said, it won't mean anything if we don't improve significantly. I hope our coaches are very good talent evaluators because I don't see that many blue chip players signing up with the Buffs until we show better results.

Kiffin is a joke but SC still has recruiting at the same clip as Ohio State or better over the past five years. I was watching the game last night and they have a TON of talent on the offensive side of the ball. It was impressive.

Everything I've heard about Braxton Miller is that he works his ass off and isn't a prima donna. Not fair to slap a label on him.

On great teams, the best players are also the hardest workers.

And the fact is, the majority of top rated players are also hard workers. One of the reasons they separated themselves is that they work at it. The bigger issue is actually that a lot of them are so dedicated to developing themselves as an athlete that they don't pay much attention to being a student. That's a bigger issue for us than their football character since CU requires some academic effort to stay eligible.

Thanks for posting that lawdogg. Would love to land him, sounds like he has had to mature more quickly than most kids at his age. Hopefully EB and Embree can win him over.

Brown says his best two relationships are with the coaching staffs at Colorado and New Mexico.

Well considering the coaching staff at New Mexico is gone on arrival, I think our chances are swell.

Is it too late to offer his buddy?

http://247sports.com/Article/Brown-continues-to-persevere-41592

Nice article, and it sounds like Brown has formed a good relationship with the coaching staff and wants to play somewhere where he can be a part of building a program back to prominence.

After reading that I like our chances. Sounds like he wants to contribute to a rebuilding project and I'm sure that's exactly what EB is telling him would be the case as CU. Also, it's impressive how highly rated he is considering he missed most of his junior year.

I do think the majority of top players are hard workers but I still disagree that Braxton Miller has worked his butt off. If he has he would be a much better passer at this point of his career. Bottom line is the guy is a freak athlete who impacts the game because of it. I think if he even has a fair amount of work ethic he will be a very good college football player.

I still think he has a tremendous amount god given talent and I think that is the type of guys we need to land here at CU over the next 3 years.

I do think the majority of top players are hard workers but I still disagree that Braxton Miller has worked his butt off. If he has he would be a much better passer at this point of his career. Bottom line is the guy is a freak athlete who impacts the game because of it. I think if he even has a fair amount of work ethic he will be a very good college football player.

I still think he has a tremendous amount god given talent and I think that is the type of guys we need to land here at CU over the next 3 years.
How do you know he hasn't worked his ass off? He may still be getting used to the speed of D1 ball compared to high school and reading defenses.

There are some good players who aren't hard workers but have great talent, there are some good players who don't have great talent but are hard workers. It is very rare to have a great player who doesn't have both.

Some guys make it look so easy that you don't see the hard work behind it. He may not be a great passer but even though he is great athlete I seriously doubt that Braxton Miller would be starting at Ohio State if he also wasn't a hard worker. He still has elements of his game that he has to work on but to run any college offense at the major college level as a freshman means you did some serious study and work.

Back on topic. Some guys, especially guys who have had success seem afraid of a challenge or of failure. Wes Brown doesn't strike me as one of those. It sounds more like he is the type who is willing to risk more for the reward of helping turn a program into a success.

Miami is in trouble with the recruiting violations and the shoe is likely to drop on the program and the staff sooner than later, New Mexico just fired their coach and much of the staff is likely to be leaving before next season. Maryland seems to be reeling in confusion righ now and coaching changes there are innevitible if not the HC at least a number of assistants. Penn State is a very solid program but who knows what will follow when Paterno can't continue to guide the program and from the looks of things that is coming sooner than later.

CU is the only school on his list that is likely to have coaching stability in the near future. It also offers him a chance to play for EB who he has mentioned before as being a positive factor.

Who knows what his final decision will be but if we can get him out here for a visit I like our chances. He would have a chance to come in and contribute early here and he would make a difference for us.

Back