What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TX RB Terrence Crowder (Signed to Colorado)

As much as people try to say they don't care about the ratings, that's simply not true. We'd like to think we don't care about the ratings, but we do. Based on the interest we get for different profiles, the hierarchy is: 1) In-state 4*/5* QB; 2) Other 4*/5* QB; 3) In-state 5* at any other position; 4) Other 5*; 5) In-state 4* at any other position; 6) Other 4*; 5) In-state 3*; 6) Other 3*. The excitement level disparity with 5* guys is so much that when we land one it carries over and influences how people think about different player after they're on the team. For example, we have a lot of people who still maintain that Darrell Scott should have been great and that the fault for his failure doesn't lie with him. Likewise, we have a lot of people who still question whether Speedy Stewart is a legit top RB in the conference. If there had been no star ratings or if it had been reversed with Speedy getting the 5* rating and Scott the 2* rating, I can pretty much guarantee that the general perception of those guys would be different.

If people didn't care about the ratings they wouldn't bother to do them and there wouldn't be such an emphasis on them when fans and the media talk about a kid. In general there is a degree of validity to the ratings. This isn't because the rating services are that good but rating a kid by who has offered him isn't a bad start. In general if Florida, OU, Texas, USC, and Notre Dame are all seriously after a kid he is probably pretty good. Those coaches have to much riding on their recruiting class to waste a scholly on a kid who can't play (even though in the end they end up doing just that more often than they would like.) At the same time if a kid plays someplace where those schools all are going to look at him and the only offers he has are from Sun Belt, Bottom WAC and MWC, and some FCS schools chances are he lacks something.

The problem is that the system is far from exact. We (and Texas and Florida and some other schools) all got very excited about Darrel Scott. The coaches all thought he was going to be a game changer, a star. At the same time when Speedy signed his LOI I remember a lot of people including me saying "Who?" As it turns out Florida, Texas, etc. would have liked to have Speedy and DS, well lets see how he does at his directional school in Florida before pronouncing him a complete bust.

The star ratings are 'a' means of looking at recruits but certainly not the only one. If a kid chooses not to participate in the process he is not likely to get the stars like Norgard. On the other hand if a kid has a promoter in his corner feeding questionable information like offers that aren't solid offers or anouncing that the kid has visted schools X, Y, and Z without stating that they were unnofficials and not at the specific invitation of the school then a kids ratings can go up.

Stars on an individual kid may not be as important as the overall average of a class. If you have a class full of 2* guys it means you have a class full of kids that in general not a lot of other schools wanted. They may miss occassionaly but they aren't all stupid. At the same time if you have a class full of 3*-4* kids some may be overated and bust but in general enough of them will be good that you will have some talent to work with.

The stars may be balanced towards those big fan base schools but in general those big fan base schools for the most part win a lot of games or fire people and bring in someone who will. The stakes are high enough that if some of those schools are truly looking at a kid he is probably pretty good, regardless of the opinion of the guys at the services.

Last edited:
I agree with BB - those with highly ranked classes care a hell of a lot more than the rest, because they translate it to BCS games in the future. We've all seen that's just not true, that especially in college, coaching means so much. So yeah, I follow them, but arguing over star ratings is a waste of time (of course, that's what sports fans do...). I just want to see us play good football, consistently.

I agree with BB - those with highly ranked classes care a hell of a lot more than the rest, because they translate it to BCS games in the future. We've all seen that's just not true, that especially in college, coaching means so much. So yeah, I follow them, but arguing over star ratings is a waste of time (of course, that's what sports fans do...). I just want to see us play good winning football, consistently.
fify

Seems to have struggled in his team's opening game with only 5 carries for 22 yards in a 28-21 loss.

Wonder why he didn't get the ball more. Over a 4 YPC average, so it's not like they were stoning him. I hope he didn't get hurt.

Weird thing is he got the least amount of carries out of three RBs. The other kids got 14 carries and 6 carries each.

Horrible news for the kid. Brought up on TOS, but might a greyshirt be an option in this case?

Horrible news for the kid. Brought up on TOS, but might a greyshirt be an option in this case?

It would be an option. I think you want to wait until the swelling goes down, have the surgery and then get the prognosis before you have that conversation. If it was going to happen, the silver lining for the rehab is that it happened so early in the season.

I was really worried about this when Buffscoop reported a knee injury. He's young though. Let's hope he recovers fast.

Feel bad for him.

Its early though so he should have more than enough time to recover from this before showing up on campus next Spring.

He had it a while ago. Ignore the dumbasses. The trainers at his school developed the rehab program with his surgeon and he's ahead of schedule. Hopefully 100% for August camp.
Yup, he's lookin good. Who are the dumbasses?

Sorry. I used that word synonymously for "preceding unhelpful posts by AllBuffs members" because it was shorter. :smile2:
Fair nuff. That article brings me to my next point: kanavis is looking like one of our top recruiting coaches, and he is just getting started. He's fulfilling our hopes and dreams like a craigslist ad does for tini.

Back