What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 WA DT Zaheer Webb

Others can confirm, but this offer may not be legit.

Mods please delete if I've violated any rules.

I changed Webb's profile thread title to add "- contingent". He doesn't have his test score and has not spoken to Tui or Embree yet. It's more like he's ready to commit and gave the word last night that he's ready to be a Buff.

Scout.com added him to our commitment list. I like the fact that he plays both side of the ball. If he pans out could be an all conference player.

Can't teach big, the rest will be up to our DL coaches. He is a boom or bust type player, hopefully he can keep his weight down, keeping his weight down will be his biggest challenge.

Last edited:
What are you guys expecting? John Randle? He's a premium sized DT who can play NT. That's hard to find and recruit for. Most won't love his video. Then again, most probably wouldn't have loved Casey Hampton's video from High School either. You have to project with some of these guys, especially at NT. Here's what you should watch for: Is he big? Does he play with leverage? Does he have strong hands? Does he use them well, maintain inside leverage and extend? Can he hold the point of attack (POA)? Does he have a wide enough body to suck up multi. blockers and let the LB's run free? Can he reach the outside shoulder on run plays? Does he have the strength to push the pocket? Has he shown the ability to penetrate and get through double teams. I watched his defensive film and the answers were a resounding YES to all. I trust the coaches. If this kid is strong and thick now, he's only going to get better as time goes on.

I'm not expecting John Randle at all. But I expect more than what I saw on Webb's film. You may have gotten a resounding YES to the questions you asked, but I did not.

John Randle would be a terrible NT!

I don't want to be negative and mean, so I'll agree with what BB said and leave it at that.

I'll be eager to see his senior film.

He's naturally big, which suits the NT position (you can't bulk up a LB, TE or DE for this spot) and he does command a double team.

I'm not expecting John Randle at all. But I expect more than what I saw on Webb's film. You may have gotten a resounding YES to the questions you asked, but I did not.

Well, you have to buy on upside then and trust the coaches. It's a highlight video so I know there is parts of his game he needs to work on but my thoughts on his video:

Last edited:
[video=youtube;xuevJXgpvmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuevJXgpvmE[/video]

A little scouting breakdown of Mr. Webb's tape as a NT. Is he good? Judge for yourself.

1st Play - :06 - Takes outside shoulder rush, pushes center back into the QB. Forces him to break from the pocket.
2nd Play - :19 - Offense runs zone left, it's the centers job to reach NT. Webb hits on the run, punches, extends and locks out, and sheds to the play side and makes the tackle. Perfect technique.
3rd Play - : 23 - Offense runs a drop back pass, Webb is solo up on center, splits his man and rushes his outside right shoulder, another pressure right up the A gap forcing the QB to not focus on reads but has to react laterally. And he gets the sack.
4th Play - : 33 - Offense runs a drop back pass, Webb punches his man, extends, as taught with a 3-4 technique down lineman... when he see's it a pass, he rips through center's outside shoulder and sheds his man bring heat right up the middle again. Fastest path from point A to point B is a straight line folks. If a guy can push the pocket it's going to ruin any chance a QB has of accurate passing. Mix in a few guys who can rush from the outside and you're going to get a lot of pressure, sacks and TO's.
5th Play - :43 - Shotgun split back off-tackle run to the left... this is a stupid play for Webb but if nothing else, his man gets drove five yards back into the offensive backfield. I'll give him props for power. It's important at his position.
6th Play - :47 - Dropback pass, once again Webb punches into his center, extends, reads and reacts. Rips to the outside right shoulder of center and forces a hurried pass. Incomplete.
7th play - It's a punt. Whatever.
8th Play - 1:01 - Offense is running a playaction bootleg, Oline is supposed to fire out like it's a run play. Webb isn't quick enough to make the play but he stones the guy stepping down to block him and throws him out of the bar. It's plays like this, even at a high school level, which show me he has extremely strong hands, a nasty punch and can control blockers. One thing i've noticed with all of the guys we've looked at, especially on the front seven... they use their hands extremely well and are very physical. When they punch their guy and grab the breast plate, they are in total control. Solis is like this, Norgard is like this, Hennington is very much like this as is Stewart, Solis' teammate. It's not hard to see what CU wants here... they want guys who will control the point of attack. They will set their own line of scrimmage, pushing the OL backwards and we will be playing on their side of the ball. The game my friends, is called physicality. You can have it all over the defense but if you don't have it at NT? You're SOL. Webb has these traits. You don't have to love his film, you just need to understand what the coaches are looking for from his position.

9th Play - 1:09 - Shotgun pass, defense is running a simple slant stunt to the right, Webb crashes hard into the A gap, ear-holing the guard and getting good pressure. Poor hand use here IMO. He did knock the guard into the QB though who then threw the ball to the other team. I'd call it a win. If you get big fat guys who can collapse the pocket, that's a beautiful thing baby. Closes passing windows very quickly and forces the QB into survival mode.
10 play - It's a pass, he looks top heavy and falls over. Not impressive.
11th play - 1:26 - Pass, simple play where most people will say, that's not that impressive. Watch it again... this is why you need size in the middle on a 3-4... he slants hard to the right side A gap... the center and guard combo block him leaving the left side A gap WIDE open. Obviously this is a bust on the center but he's worried about this kids strength and is overcompensating trying to help the guard out... the defense's LB run's through a gap so big you could drive a bus through it. The back can't pick him up and the backer gets the sack. For the record, he took the two linemen about 6 yards back into the backfield.

I'll skip around from here on out to expedite this:

1:51, defense is running a dive left, to the B gap, center tries to cut Webb, he uses his hands to push the centers momentum down, keep his balance and make the play side tackle.

1:57, it's a ZONE run left, center and RG double team Webb. He subsequently splits the double team, collapses the hole, no gain or loss of 1.

2:16, Offtackle left, center needs to reach Webb and wall him off, Webb feels him getting on his outside shoulder powers through his blocker to maintain leverage, plays the ball carrier laterally down the LOS. Assists on tackle. No gain. Swarming defense, 11 guys to the ball. GOTTA LOVE IT.

BTW, his OL tape isn't' that bad either. If he could bend his knees more I would like it a lot more. Reminds me a little of Andre Gurode. The guy has a chance to be a player. I think his instincts are better on the defensive side of the ball though.

Last edited:
I appreciate your analysis (seriously). I just am not blown away by his film, especially when he may very well be the last DT/NT we take in this class.

I trust the coaches to a point. But when we start talking about upwards of 8-10 kids a class... uh, yeah.

I think it's hard to fall in love with a 3-4 NT's tape. They are mostly fat guys taking up blockers. They are not particularly adept at rushing the passer. But their role on a 3-4 defense is imperative. I don't even know if we take this guy in the end, but I won't be disappointed if we do. We will need about 3 or 4 of these guys like this in the program at 1 time to fit our system. Richter will probably take over for Obi next year as the starter, which is why the coaches have been working his ass off during the Spring and such. We'll need to have some depth to take over for him when he graduates. They have Bonsu listed there but he's a little light in the hips for the type of player you want. I think Justin Solis will have a chance there too. He's 6'3", 287lbs and this sounds funny but has the frame to add more weight. I'm really excited about that guy. He could be a beast for us.

@Highlander

I honestly think you know more about scouting and football than I, so I'll defer to you here, but I just don't see it. I see a kid that's 100 pounds bigger than half the kids he is pushing around. I see a kid that doesn't play with much leverage nor does he look overly strong and he most certainly is not quick. I'd rather see us bring in Solis and put 20 more pounds on him and then put him at NT. I get that NTs aren't impressive per say, but this kid just doesn't look like Terrence Cody to me. He just looks like a huge kid. Richter is huge and probably as strong as this kid will ever be, so I guess we'll see what happens with him next year.

Kick in the door!

[video=youtube;ZrrceKDx2dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrceKDx2dw[/video]

Can't comment on who he's playing against. You could say that about most high schools stars, that their competition wasn't up to par with them. I would like to see him play lower. That could just be coaching though. I think he's plenty strong enough for the next level. He'll get stronger and faster at the next level.

I think you are spot on with Solis. Thing is we need depth there and more than one guy in the rotation.

As for Cody, he was a 1st round draft pick.... hard to find guys like that. Still, if you watch his JUCO highlights, they won't blow you away. Plays too high in the film, doesn't get good enough push. Coaching means a lot with some of these guys. HS/Juco, you get by on natural talent and there isn't always a lot of great coaching in regards to technique.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recru...hts-1-19318;_ylt=AosPeGDDquyvrxmFaUSr78Eh7qB4

Given 2-stars (74 grade, #92 DT) by ESPN.

For those who don't know the ESPN grading scale, 1-star: 55-67, 2-stars: 68-74, 3-stars: 75-79.49, 4-stars: 79.5-84, 5-stars: 85-100.

If you want to run a 3-4, gotta have a big hoss who can sit over the center. Seen some of his senior tape and I thought he looked pretty solid.

Weird if something has changed. Still not sure why we would be taking his commitment right now.

Because we have been spending the last couple months hearing about several DL setting up visits to Boulder or being very interested in visiting. Then you have Webb, a guy there has been little to no chatter on since he tried to commit. I would think you would want to get the guy to Boulder and on campus before definitely deciding one way or the other. The whole situation is weird.

Back