What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA ILB Ryan Severson (Signed to Colorado)

Playmaker? What world do you live in?

Go **** yourself.

I'd suggest you not watch Buff games drunk. Parker Orms was the key difference in 2011. In games he played, we held together pretty well as a defensive unit and in games he was out, we were a joke.

In 2012, we were always a joke and I've quit trying to make heads or tails out of it other than the kids as a unit must have quit on the staff.

Parker Orms is a very damn good player period (when healthy).

This kid looks as fast, as white, and a little taller and might be a LB at some point.

Can't coach speed! Welcome! Almost 60 and sunny at the stadium today so start closin these guys and let's get goin!

Can't coach speed!!

Respectfully disagree. You can coach and greatly improve running form and consistency so as to knock a tenth or two off 40 and shuttle times and football is mostly a 7-15 yd. game. But, I agree, the genetics on fast-twitch muscles have to be there.

Respectfully disagree. You can coach and greatly improve running form and consistency so as to knock a tenth or two off 40 and shuttle times and football is mostly a 7-15 yd. game. But, I agree, the genetics on fast-twitch muscles have to be there.

Irrelevant argument. If CU can train guys for a relative improvement, so can every other program in the nation. So it's zero sum. Quality In = Quality Out. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

The one thing that can work to a program's advantage is finding great athletes that aren't physically developed as early. The elite recruiting programs pull in guys who look ready to play college ball their junior year in high school. CU isn't getting those guys right now. So we need to find the guys that didn't start shaving until they were 16, redshirt them, and look to being able to match up when they catch up and we have the advantage of playing upperclassmen against underclassmen.

He can tackle, which immediately makes him 1st string on defense at any position he wants. CB, S, LB, DE, take your pick Ryan.

:lol:

It is no wonder CU sucks if you view it mostly as a 7-15 yard game.

Anyway, yet another reach in this class.

:lol:

It is no wonder CU sucks if you view it mostly as a 7-15 yard game.

Anyway, yet another reach in this class.

Actually much of the game is played in short burst. Tony Jones runs a faster 40 than Rodney Stewart ever did but Speedy was way faster in a measure of 5-20 steps than ToJo will ever be.

That said the idea that you can create speed is false. You can improve guys 40 times with training and technique but that doesn't mean they will play any faster on the field in pads.

Unfortunately over the past few years regardless of what the practice field and track times might say when we put the pads on we haven't been fast enough to compete with the teams we are facing.

This class is full of reaches, at least this one looks like he has the athletic ability that he could develop into a quality player for us.

Actually much of the game is played in short burst. Tony Jones runs a faster 40 than Rodney Stewart ever did but Speedy was way faster in a measure of 5-20 steps than ToJo will ever be.

That said the idea that you can create speed is false. You can improve guys 40 times with training and technique but that doesn't mean they will play any faster on the field in pads.

Unfortunately over the past few years regardless of what the practice field and track times might say when we put the pads on we haven't been fast enough to compete with the teams we are facing.

This class is full of reaches, at least this one looks like he has the athletic ability that he could develop into a quality player for us.

With the wide hash marks, success in college football (especially in the PAC-12), has a lot to do with explosive plays. Those are the plays over 20 yards and beyond. These are not just the quick burst plays, but plays that can be extended by real speed. No coincidence our only win of the season involved two such scoring plays.

Very rarely is a safety going to only run 7-15 yards on a given play. That's absurd. The hash marks alone are about 13 yards apart. Football isn't 3 yards and a cloud of dust anymore.

With the wide hash marks, success in college football (especially in the PAC-12), has a lot to do with explosive plays. Those are the plays over 20 yards and beyond. These are not just the quick burst plays, but plays that can be extended by real speed. No coincidence our only win of the season involved two such scoring plays.

Agree completely, but often those first few steps are what break a guy into a position to make the long plays.

Doesn't matter a lot either way right now because the guys who have been playing for us don't have the speed, short burst or longer distances, to make the plays we need. You can talk coaching all you want and it is important but how many of the teams in the top 25 aren't among the fastest teams in college football. I would venture to guess not many.

Impressive numbers, but a bit of a tweener I suspect. If he's 5'10" that's a little short for the defensive side....period. There's always guys who get away with it, but I can tell you it was not easy when I played being 5'9" and going up against receivers that were taller, longer armed, and better jumpers. At least this kid can jump.

Hope he fills out to 6'. HGH please.

Welcome to the Black-n-Gold, young man!

And don't sweat the weird posts in your recruit thread. Some folks around here still have blisters on their buns from the last several years.

Visiting this weekend and we didn't have a profile.
a16
k3

Well, he has speed and we need it. If you can run an electronic 4.4, that's getting it. I'm sure Bigbang thinks he's too slow lol jk. Legit 4.4s are not as common as folks tend to think. Welcome aboard Ryan.

Well, the kid is taller, MUCH faster, and can jump higher than our "speed" recruit Devin Ross.......

(difficulty posting an image that is large enough to see....) here is the link with the raw data:
SPARQ RESULTS

sparq LB.jpg

Attachments

• sparq LB.png
    sparq LB.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 316
  • sparq LB.png
    sparq LB.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Shuttle score on Ross is good. Speedy probably had a good shuttle and not so good 40 time. Ross sounds quick, not fast.

Severson's 4.46-second electronically timed 40-yard dash was the second-best time out of the nearly 1,300 prospects that attended the Long Beach Nike Combine last April. That time was no fluke. Severson clocked in with a 4.44-second electronically timed 40-yard dash at Oklahoma's camp during his sophomore year.

"My fastest hand-timed 40-yard dash is 4.38-seconds," he said. "My whole life I have been fast. I was blessed to have that."

Says he has "wanted to be a Buffalo ever since he was a kid". Said they are not sure yet on D or O, but looking to judge his growth as well.... Chalk one up for Coach Mike Mac!

Back