What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA PF Zena Edosomwan (Verbal to Harvard)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247Sports

149764_1513513556659_1199015383_31163943_4811823_n.jpg

Harvard-Westlake HS (North Hollywood, CA)

AAU: Double Pump / Pump N Run

Ht: 6-foot-8
Wt: 235 lbs

Rivals rating: 4*; unranked PF (#66 overall)
Scout rating: 4*; #17 PF (#76 overall)
ESPN rating: 4*-92 grade; #21 PF
247 rating: 4*-90 rating; #24 PF (#100 overall)

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona State, California, Cal-Poly, Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Harvard, Maryland, Missouri, Oregon, Pennsylvania, San Francisco, UNLV, USC, Utah, Washington State, Wake Forest

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.calihighsports.com/articles/238

With teammate Cain committing to Colorado last week, the Buffaloes seem like a real legitimate option for Edosomwan.

"They got my boy D," Zena said. "That is huge you know because I see him going there and I see all the other guys they got and I'm like wow okay they are really doing things. I like their coaches a lot, the school a lot, it's definitely a great place. I'm sure Damiene will talk me up on it this year and next year but what there doing recently opened my eyes to Boulder," Zena said.

http://hoopreview.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:hoop-review-report-i&catid=35:events&Itemid=27

The seventh annual Southern California Hoop Review was held Saturday and Sunday April 10-11 at Cal State University Dominguez Hills and Lynwood High School. 70 teams from throughout the west coast participated.

Zena Edosomwan 6'8" PF/C 2012 Harvard Westlake HS (Pump N Run 2012)
A strong rebounder and powerful short driver who can get to the rim. Also a decent postup player. Is aggressive.

I had forgotten that I'd already done this profile. Glad it came up in my google search as I was looking for stuff to make one. :lol:

(On that note, it helps out AllBuffs a bit if you come to the site or certain prospect threads through a google/yelp/yahoo/etc search.)

Anyway, here's a new LA Times blog article on Edosomwan that reiterates the CaliHigh article I posted about:

When North Hollywood Harvard-Westlake looks back on this season, Friday's Mission League showdown with Los Angeles Loyola will be remembered as the game 6-foot-8 junior Zena Edosomwan showed that he's a big-time player in the making.

Edosomwan scored 26 points and combined with 6-7 Damiene Cain, who scored 25 points and had 19 rebounds, to be a dominant duo in a game that was played before a capacity crowd at Harvard-Westlake and ended with Wolverine students charging onto the court to celebrate a 13th consecutive victory for Harvard-Westlake (16-2, 5-0).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2011/01/boys-basketball-zena-edosomwan-comes-through.html

But how do you pronounce his last name????? I can just hear announcers stumbling over that one big time.

But how do you pronounce his last name????? I can just hear announcers stumbling over that one big time.

They'll give them a pronounciation guide. Something like: Eee, Doh, Sum, Won. The better he plays, the easier it gets to say it.

Splain. He does not even have CU listed, for one. He is not rated by Rivals for another. i've got another question. Whats the difference between a site's rating and a fan's rating? Like, on Rivals, he isn't even rated. But three "fans" rate him as a four star. It seems like the "fan" ratings are ALWAYS high. Are they mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and friends? I guess if there were a couple of hundred that rated him as a four star, that would be one thing. But three? That could mean a 3, 4, and 5 from one of each, lol. Why doesn't Rivals even have him rated?

Splain. He does not even have CU listed, for one. He is not rated by Rivals for another. i've got another question. Whats the difference between a site's rating and a fan's rating? Like, on Rivals, he isn't even rated. But three "fans" rate him as a four star. It seems like the "fan" ratings are ALWAYS high. Are they mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and friends? I guess if there were a couple of hundred that rated him as a four star, that would be one thing. But three? That could mean a 3, 4, and 5 from one of each, lol. Why doesn't Rivals even have him rated?

Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, teammates and coaches. Maybe other players. Maybe his rival high school.
Rivals doesn't have him rated because he has not been evaluated. And they don't have time to evaluate every player. You have no tape, or get your tape in late, too bad: they may have moved on to the next class already.

Edosomwan scored 26 points and combined with 6-7 Damiene Cain, who scored 25 points and had 19 rebounds, to be a dominant duo in a game that was played before a capacity crowd at Harvard-Westlake and ended with Wolverine students charging onto the court to celebrate a 13th consecutive victory for Harvard-Westlake (16-2, 5-0).
So, is rushing the court considered acceptable? We need to know these things. :smile2:

AJ has it right...man, there's SO many bball recruits out there, that you can't have every one of them ranked. This kid will be a SOLID three star in my opinion. That's a quality player that I wouldn't mind having on my team. Give it some time...yes, there are many bball players ranked already, but that doesn't mean that's the whole story.

And to boulder77, yes, rushing the court is great for a great win. Rushing the court for an unranked opponent...no. Rushing the court/field for a team ranked in the teens to 20s, no. Beating KU, yes. Beating top 5, yes. I dream of a day though when we beat KU, and our fans just raucously cheer and don't rush. Why?...because then our winning will have become normal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6077111

hopefully him and Cain are good friends...Spencer is also on our radar from the article. I would love to get Edosomwan and Christiansen next cycle.

I also forgot that Spencer was Booker's teammate. Spencer's skinnier than Zena, but he has more length and is pretty good on the D end. I think Spencer's stock will blow up, as will Zena to a lesser extent. I want Zena more though...

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6077111

hopefully him and Cain are good friends...Spencer is also on our radar from the article. I would love to get Edosomwan and Christiansen next cycle.

I also forgot that Spencer was Booker's teammate. Spencer's skinnier than Zena, but he has more length and is pretty good on the D end. I think Spencer's stock will blow up, as will Zena to a lesser extent. I want Zena more though...

This is the thing about basketball recruiting that's tough. I get it when Boyle says he wants to make a commitment to in-state players and make sure the best don't get away to other Big 6 conference schools or elite Mid-Majors. However, they don't play against the same level of competition day in and day out as the kids from LA, San Fran/Oakland, Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Chicago do (just to name the big players in the CU recruiting region). When you pull a guy like Cain from one of the better LA area programs who you've also seen in the LA summer leagues, you know that his nightly double-double on the stat sheet translates to a nightly double-double as an upperclassman in the Pac-12. You can't say that about the Colorado kids.

Given that, I much prefer it if we sign guys like Edosomwan ahead of in-state prospects unless we're talking about Billups-level Colorado kids. Actually, if we're talking about guards instead of big men I think you can do a better job evaluating in-state talent so you can find your guys like Knutson to put on scholarship. CU can always use guys who are money on an open jumper and from the free throw line, will fight for every inch on the court, and have enough athleticism not to be a liability on defense.

Anyway, I'll cut it off there. Love Zena. Love Spencer. I want to see California as the major focus of our basketball recruiting.

This is the thing about basketball recruiting that's tough. I get it when Boyle says he wants to make a commitment to in-state players and make sure the best don't get away to other Big 6 conference schools or elite Mid-Majors. However, they don't play against the same level of competition day in and day out as the kids from LA, San Fran/Oakland, Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Chicago do (just to name the big players in the CU recruiting region). When you pull a guy like Cain from one of the better LA area programs who you've also seen in the LA summer leagues, you know that his nightly double-double on the stat sheet translates to a nightly double-double as an upperclassman in the Pac-12. You can't say that about the Colorado kids.

Given that, I much prefer it if we sign guys like Edosomwan ahead of in-state prospects unless we're talking about Billups-level Colorado kids. Actually, if we're talking about guards instead of big men I think you can do a better job evaluating in-state talent so you can find your guys like Knutson to put on scholarship. CU can always use guys who are money on an open jumper and from the free throw line, will fight for every inch on the court, and have enough athleticism not to be a liability on defense.

Anyway, I'll cut it off there. Love Zena. Love Spencer. I want to see California as the major focus of our basketball recruiting.

Bohn had a quote that I actually couldn't stand when he said it - something about how we all love Cody and Scotty, but let's face it, they're not the caliber of player that is going to take CU football to the top. I felt like he disrespected them by saying it publicly, even though it is true. It's hard to be honest sometimes, and in honesty, I feel the same way about Levi as Scotty and Cody. Levi isn't a lethal shooter, nor is he super-athletic. He's serviceable, and he definitely deserves a scholarship. However, as much as I love Levi, we need higher caliber players if CU is going to really establish itself as a bball program.

We all know it, CO is not a hotbed for bball. Although there does seem to be a recent rise, with Jackson last year, Thomas over in NJ coming from Denver, and the Collier and the freshman at JFK. Still, you CANNOT make CO a recruiting priority. I think it's great if Boyle and staff occasionally watch some games and build relationships with coaches...but do not make it a priority. West Coast is where they need to spend most of their attention. SoCal has so much talent, and Findlay and Bishop Gorman in Vegas need to be tapped into (to be fair though, that's like saying we need to tap into Oak Hill or DeMatha...private schools for the bball inclined). Seattle year-in-year-out has great bball talent. Watch Scott down in the Springs, and say hi to Rudy Cary. However, RECRUIT SoCal and Seattle. Keep your local relationships in-tact, but don't spend too much time on it. Bouldins and Billups come around once every five years.

...I will say this too - I think a lot of the reason our HS bball isn't great is because our HS coaching isn't great. Having some coaching clinics locally could really help bball talent develop in CO.

New interview. Up to 5 offers, including Colorado.

[video=youtube;pMiB0mY8pYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pMiB0mY8pYo#at=247[/video]

Kind of sounds like he may wait until the spring signing period next year, but you never know.

never mind...for some reason I couldn't see Buffnik's post prior to me posting the same interview...and I can't figure out how to get rid of this "link" font as I type...damn it...I'm so stupid when it comes to this...

Hasn't said a favorite but he has picked up offers and will wait until July he said before trimming his list.

[video=youtube;5a7hk6Kc9E0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7hk6Kc9E0&feature=player_embedded#at=95[/video]

Sounds like there is some interest here, but I don't know how strong

[video=youtube;lRf66I02cM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRf66I02cM4[/video]

He's having a big summer. Picked up offers from Oregon, ASU, and Cal with more likely coming and has been upgraded to a 4-star player by Scout and 247 Sports.

Back