1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'13 CA PG Austin Pope

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Goose, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247sports

[​IMG]
    La Jolla H.S. (Compton, CA)

AAU Team:

Ht: 6-foot-6
    Wt: 175 lbs.

Rivals rating: NR; unranked PG
    Scout rating: NR; unranked PG
    ESPN rating: 1*-59 grade; #157 SF
    247sports rating: NR; unranked PG

Reported Offers: Colorado, Oregon, Santa Clara, St. Bonaventure, UCONN, Utah

2. Goose

OK, first off, hat tip to Snow for this one. Everyone rep him as he brought Pope to my attention.

[tweet]301148528263192576[/tweet]

The "redshirt for one year" thing makes sense because at one point it appeared he was going to Louisville.

If McGee sounds familiar, that's because he was a 5* recruit who at one point was considering CU because he was related to... drumroll... Antoine McGee, CU's PG from 2002-2006.

Pope was originally a 2012 recruit who Coast 2 Coast hoops said was the "third best point guard out of California in his class (behind Dominic Artis and Tyrone Wallace)". From both that article and the one on Phog.net, it sounds like Kansas is his dream school, but apparently things have changed. His ESPN scouting report mentions him re-classifying to 2013 so he could get stronger and work on his all-around game, calling him a "jack of all trade type, but master of none".

Sounds like he was a big time recruit who somehow slipped through the cracks. I'm trying to dig up more info, but this one is SERIOUSLY intriguing. I'm going to try to imbed a youtube here, but it's blocked at my work so I have no idea if this will work.

[video=youtube;JFleRJnQkMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFleRJnQkMg[/video]

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

nice find on the walk on plan - thing made no sense to me at all when I saw that. Especially compared to the UCLA offer. Bizzaro world, here we come.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's amazing to me that we've reached the point of Louisville, UCLA or Colorado... with Colorado being close enough in perception that a great player and leader to mentor under at a position could swing it for us.

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

this confuses me...so would he ever even play for us or just sit on the bench and practice before leaving to louisville?

6. Goose

The plan was for him to go to Louisville, redshirt one year and then play. It now appears that Louisville is out, so substitute Colorado for them in that statement.

7. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

ok so its a wait one year for a scholarship

8. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Guess Gonzaga and Baylor had offered, according to the free article they had on scout. Sounds like a weird situation. Would be interesting to know why Louisville is no longer where he wants to go. And why us over UCLA, other then Dinwiddie?

Normally, after signing two point guards in 2012 and being heavily interested in two more in 2014, I'd say it's not really a team need. But if our staff loves him, and he wants to be here, then you have to do whatever you can do to improve your team.

Sounds like the kid's been talking to Rodney Billups though (or so he tweets)

9. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Have we ruled out sarcasm?

10. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Because Boyle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Howland

11. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I am going with sarcasm

12. Buffnik

Yes. We have every reason to believe he has given and will give Louisville and UCLA due consideration instead of just jumping at the CU opportunity.

13. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I would submit that something is wrong with this story and no kid with those offers is walking on for a year. Something is not equating!

14. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

He's a lefty? Buff LOCK!!!

15. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Kind of an interesting situation...so if he came in he wouldn't be able to play till the '14/'15 season right? Doesn't that put him in competition for a spot / playtime with Collier and Perkins? Maybe not an issue if we only get one of those guys and Tad is assuming Spencer is gone?

16. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

He's now the top JuCo PG in the country. Has offers from Wazzou, Oregon St. Marquette, Texas, and UConn are about to offer.

17. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

He's baaaaack. Still the top JUCO PG in the country and #2 overall according to 247.

From 247 July 9:

"Oklahoma State and Bowling Green have already offered while Colorado, DePaul, Oregon, Wichita State, UCLA, and Iowa are all tracking him."

Anybody know if he's still in play? Maybe an offer if we don't get Shamet or Dorsey (or any number of other guys that I don't know about yet)?

18. Buffnik

I just can't see using both scholarships on upperclassmen. With Fortune already on board, it would be a weird move. Plus, the numbers in that class are already too high.

Shame. He was high on the Buffs.

19. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

I'd be very skeptical of any offer list that you see for the kid, as it's pretty clear that he had exaggerated interest in schools in the past. I know Eric Bossi of Rivals looked into his reported offers before and often times it was the case of coaches at the school having no idea who he was.

Hopefully 247 is doing their homework and he really is doing as well as they claim, but I'd be very skeptical of any reported offer unless multiple sources are citing it.

Edit: Just looking at his college stats from last year, it is very hard to imagine him really being the #1 PG in the JC ranks. He shot under 40% from the floor, under 27% from outside and under 58% from the free throw line... a little bit more then 2 assists per game.

20. Buffnik

Another guy who ended up going to a JUCO. CU would likely be in a 3rd time. Chatter on other sites.

21. Goose