What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA SG Jabari Bird (Verbal to Cal)

Weren't we always 4th? I got the impression in interviews with him, that Bird felt Boyle did good enough in recruiting him to be added to his final cut, but that he wasn't in the top 3.

Weren't we always 4th? I got the impression in interviews with him, that Bird felt Boyle did good enough in recruiting him to be added to his final cut, but that he wasn't in the top 3.

Pretty much. No real expectations, but making the next to last cut bring a certain degree of hope. :smile2:

Pretty much. No real expectations, but making the next to last cut bring a certain degree of hope. :smile2:

That's how I saw it too. Seems to really like Boyle a lot tho, so I'm not counting us out. Getting Bird would be the best case scenario for the program, but it isn't a program killer if we don't either.

Big surprise to me is that Washington is that high in the running. I honestly figured Bird was pretty much a Cal lock.

Washington could have a scary class coming in next year.

so it looks like we are striking out on all our top targets so far.

I think Boyle saw him as a luxury pick, I believe he viewed Hopkins and Allen as more realistic pick-ups.

We've always been in the top 5. The problem is, it's really more of a top 2, with Cal and Washington. CU, Ore and AZ are hanging around, but well behind the other two schools.

Yep. But I think him deciding to wait until the spring period to decide says that those top 2 haven't done what they needed to do to close him.

If we have another year that puts us firmly onto the basketball map and have Dre slotted as a lottery pick, we've got a shot.

Yep. But I think him deciding to wait until the spring period to decide says that those top 2 haven't done what they needed to do to close him.

If we have another year that puts us firmly onto the basketball map and have Dre slotted as a lottery pick, we've got a shot.

I don't disagree, and I've said all along that you have to like the way we kind of forced our way into a long-established top 4, but I'm just afraid we'll hang around just long enough to get our hopes up, only to see him sign elsewhere. Another big showing in 12-13 would make a big difference with Bird though, I think.

It can't hurt that he's taking time to check us out. That tells me that Tad has a couple hooks in. Regardless of what any recruiting site says, you can't predict the emotions of a 16 yr old kid. Go Tad!

It can't hurt that he's taking time to check us out. That tells me that Tad has a couple hooks in. Regardless of what any recruiting site says, you can't predict the emotions of a 16 yr old kid. Go Tad!

As soon as I read that, I had a vision. This is as close a recreation as I can render at the moment.

tad worm.jpg

EDIT: I would also like to add that I'm excited about the prospect of Bird visiting. I really think if we can get him here, we'll definitely put ourselves at or near the top of his list.

16? That'd be a to-be junior's age.

Point Guard U is reporting that Arizona is no longer recruiting Bird.

And then there were four...

Point Guard U is reporting that Arizona is no longer recruiting Bird.

And then there were four...

Arizona never really seemed to be in it for Bird. He seemed to favor other schools and they seemed to like other wings better. I'm happy that their out of it though.

Could this really happen?

If so, this would be the biggest signee since Chauncey. Maybe bigger.

Surprising Arizona stopped their recruitment of Bird. They must think they had little to no chance to get him over Cal and that it was better off filling up their 2013 class now. Great talent obviously, and us just being in the top of his list can do nothing but help the program even if he doesn't pick CU. 4 star talents see that CU was a place a kid like Bird was open to playing for, and they see how they've developed under the radar talents...

Could this really happen?

If so, this would be the biggest signee since Chauncey. Maybe bigger.

Honestly, I think it would be bigger. Chauncey was the hometown kid, so we always had a decent chance there. Bird? That's going in to the Cal area, and taking a kid who grew up as a Cal fan and making him a Buff. Huge. HUGE.

Must. Not. Get. Too. Excited! Ah **** it! Go Tad!!! I'm just happy we have a shot here!

From Thorburn's Buffzone chat today:

fb_share2.png

12:11
Comment From Mateo
What do you think our chances are with Bird? Have spoken with him?
fb_share2.png

12:13
Ryan Thorburn:
I think CU's best chance to get him is for Bird to be blown away by Boulder and the CU experience during his visit in September. I believe it's the Sacramento State weekend. Right now Cal is the favorite and Washington is in there. But I know Boyle's pitch was that he is the missing piece to the puzzle and potentially the program's next lottery pick. Good sell.

I would be very surprised to find someone who isn't blown away when seeing boulder for the first time.

there is no question he will like the school, the city and the facilities. The big question will be if he thinks he can achieve success while at CU and launch his career into the NBA. Mr Bird check out this photo of Mr Burks, you might recognize him from being the number #11 overall pick. Have you seen Mr Higgins he played in 38 NBA games as a rookie last year. Did you meet Dre over there? projected by some experts as an NBA lottery pick. What's that? so glad you asked, it is our PAC:12 championship trophy. No Cal and Washington don't have one of those, but good question.

Back