What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA WR Elijah Dunston (Signed to Colorado)

Ashley Lelie caught 10 passes his senior yr of high school. Red flag.

And the other 99.9999999999% of highschool football players who catch 10 passes in their senior year don't even go onto play college football.

What's your point? Do you know what the word "outlier" means?

So you agree that production like that usually relegates you to lesser conferences...

It means that I trust the coaches opinions of players and that stats are not the end all, be all. It takes a lot for a WR to rack up catches, yardage and touchdowns. We don't know the offense, the QB, how good the linemen are, etc. To blindly assume the talent level he has, having not been at his games or watched the coaches tape is pretty silly. Just like it was with Ashley Lelie. He had the coaches son playing QB. Couldn't throw a lick. Hindsight says he was pretty damn good leaving UH after his junior year and getting drafted in the 1st round.

And the other 99.9999999999% of highschool football players who catch 10 passes in their senior year don't even go onto play college football.

What's your point? Do you know what the word "outlier" means?

Have you been to his games? How do you know he's any good or bad for that matter? What can you tell me about the talent, offense and scheme around him? While your at it, pass along your scouting credentials as well. I think this is all speculation. That was my point. You don't know anything besides the baseline you consider success for the position, arbitrarily comparing it on the high school level. There are a lot more variables in high school football. Not every team is De La Salle churning out D-IA prospects at every positions.

Highland, clean out your pm closet. Can't rep you (ymssr), can't pm you either.

In the meantime, I hope this thread doesn't go where I think it's going. Mods?

It means that I trust the coaches opinions of players and that stats are not the end all, be all. It takes a lot for a WR to rack up catches, yardage and touchdowns. We don't know the offense, the QB, how good the linemen are, etc. To blindly assume the talent level he has, having not been at his games or watched the coaches tape is pretty silly. Just like it was with Ashley Lelie. He had the coaches son playing QB. Couldn't throw a lick. Hindsight says he was pretty damn good leaving UH after his junior year and getting drafted in the 1st round.

For future reference, pointing out stats as a red flag does not mean treating stats as the end-all, be-all.

He has no good offers. He isn't producing much. He plays at a prominent high school in SoCal. I think it's a fair critique. To simply write off criticism based on trusting the coaches or one obscure example of a player producing in college despite unfortunate circumstances in high school is pretty weak, but whatever.

To your point, judging by the stats so far this year, they're riding Terrell Newby hard and don't have much of a passing game to speak of.

Hopefully this kid is a big time player for us.

Highland, clean out your pm closet. Can't rep you (ymssr), can't pm you either.

In the meantime, I hope this thread doesn't go where I think it's going. Mods?

Expressing a concern with a valid rationale (i.e., his stats don't stand out and he doesn't have a big offer list) will never be censored.

We can have intelligent discussion in here. I would assume that if Elijah reads that stuff it will just make him come in with a bigger chip on his shoulder -- which is a good thing.

What could cause comments to be pruned would be if fans are bashing the recruit, saying they don't want him, or that kind of garbage. This is especially true when someone is a verbal commit to CU (it's like being engaged) or especially after they've signed with us (married). I also don't tolerate that stuff when we're in the recruiting phase (dating), but relax quite a bit if a guy commits somewhere else (jilted :smile2:). Just think of these guys in terms of where they are in our Buff Family.

Expressing a concern with a valid rationale (i.e., his stats don't stand out and he doesn't have a big offer list) will never be censored.

We can have intelligent discussion in here. I would assume that if Elijah reads that stuff it will just make him come in with a bigger chip on his shoulder -- which is a good thing.

What could cause comments to be pruned would be if fans are bashing the recruit, saying they don't want him, or that kind of garbage. This is especially true when someone is a verbal commit to CU (it's like being engaged) or especially after they've signed with us (married). I also don't tolerate that stuff when we're in the recruiting phase (dating), but relax quite a bit if a guy commits somewhere else (jilted :smile2:). Just think of these guys in terms of where they are in our Buff Family.

Absolutely. Not concerned about DM and WR; don't disagree with a single concern they are raising. Perfectly valid and open for interesting debate. Some will agree; others will disagree. But when we shift to calling a player an "outlier," one of the 99.99999999 percent that can't play at the DI level, seems to be verging on the personal to me.

Absolutely. Not concerned about DM and WR; don't disagree with a single concern they are raising. Perfectly valid and open for interesting debate. Some will agree; others will disagree. But when we shift to calling a player an "outlier," one of the 99.99999999 percent that can't play at the DI level, seems to be verging on the personal to me.

True. But anyone who has read a few threads on this board knows that J-R-K is the type of guy who would complain about the taxes if he won the lottery. It was close, though.

But when we shift to calling a player an "outlier," one of the 99.99999999 percent that can't play at the DI level, seems to be verging on the personal to me.

Work on that reading comprehension. I called Ashley Lellie, not Dunston, an outlier (which is not even an insult btw) and my general point was that typically when a player has bad HS stats it's simply because they're not very good players (profound I know), I did not say this was specifically the case with Dunston, frankly I don't even know what his stats are. I just have a problem with Highlander throwing out that example as if it's a common occurance kind of like people on here assuming that every 2-star player is the next Rodeny Stewart or that because Mac had a bad first couple of seasons and then turned it around it automatically means that the same will happen with Embree. These things are not the norm.

Work on that reading comprehension.

Good one! :thumbsup: Pretty clear to me what you were getting at, and the larger point is while you are right about 2* in general, I have to agree with HL: I'll take the current CU staff's method of assessing Elijah Dunston's ability/potential/whatever over your never-seen him play, know nothing about his current situation but I did see his stats approach.

Last edited:
Is he #1? If so, he had a dropped pass but caught a TD on a screen play a few plays later from about 15 yards out

Upgraded to 3* on Scout after gaining offers from Fresno State and Nevada.

Dunston's got all the tools to be special. Size/speed combo is about as good as it gets. Raw talent right now who didn't have great HS productivity, which kept him from getting a ton of recruiting attention. Walters needs to coach him up and we'll have gotten a steal here.

Back