What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO QB Ryan Novak

VamosBuffaloes,

Talent wise for the team, none. Based on the QB, he can play. Unfair to judge him on the teams record. Watch the tape, he stands in the pocket with his eyes downfield and plays QB. He doesn't bail out or panic. With the right sitaution he can be very good, but sometimes you appear to be as good as your supporting cast. But watch the tape.

What is the talent like on that team? Or is this just based on Novak?

VamosBuffaloes,

Talent wise for the team, none. Based on the QB, he can play. Unfair to judge him on the teams record. Watch the tape, he stands in the pocket with his eyes downfield and plays QB. He doesn't bail out or panic. With the right sitaution he can be very good, but sometimes you appear to be as good as your supporting cast. But watch the tape.
Welcome to the board, Mr. Novak!

VamosBuffaloes,

:thumbsup:

Welcome to AllBuffs QBdad! I hope you will keep us updated on Ryan's senior season. :thumbsup:

VamosBuffaloes,

Thanks for the post QBdad! Appreciate the insight! Not sure if you have any kids at Heritage, but I am a Heritage alum, so go Eagles!

VamosBuffaloes,

Thanks for the info! Is he planning on attending the CU camp?

SIAP

pslnovak.jpg

[h=2]Rocky Mountain Rifle: Colorado QB Ryan Novak[/h]
While most five-year olds were watching "The Simpsons" and learning their number facts on "Sesame Street", Ryan Novak was viewing multiple versions of game tapes with his Dad Scott. "My father is a long-time Big-12 Conference referee. He would get "all-22" tapes of his games, meaning the vantage point shows every player (and all the officials) on the field," said the now 15-year old Heritage High School (CO) sophomore quarterback. "After he worked a game, he'd be watching the tape of it for three or four hours. He'd be looking at his calls, and when I started to become a quarterback, I'd be watching the quarterback. I'd say, 'This is a good read, a bad read, a good ball,' Those kinds of things."

He probably would commit if he was offered.
Thank you for the insight on this topic. I assume you read the previous comments about his completion % this year. I was wondering if you could give us your opinion as someone who probably saw all or most of his games this year. Was it more a question of the talent around him, the competition he was going against, etc.? I think most of us see that he has a lot of potential and has the size/ability to be a great pro-style QB which is of course exactly what Embree looks for.

Thank you for the insight on this topic. I assume you read the previous comments about his completion % this year. I was wondering if you could give us your opinion as someone who probably saw all or most of his games this year. Was it more a question of the talent around him, the competition he was going against, etc.? I think most of us see that he has a lot of potential and has the size/ability to be a great pro-style QB which is of course exactly what Embree looks for.

You know he answered this at the top of this page, right?

Boyd, time to tune up the reading skills. Sometimes better seen and not read.

Ryan's junior highlights just posted to youtube a couple weeks ago.

[video=youtube;-neZ_2IyEDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neZ_2IyEDw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

As I was watching this film, I was thinking that this kid looks like a young Tom Brady. Ryan certainly seems to have a very similar throwing motion, similar height and weight and they both run 6.0 40's. I pulled a highlight video of Brady while at Michigan to compare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HVQxqI-rE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9036FA89F0A67158 One big difference and thing Ryan will need to develop is better and faster footwork. I really like his quick release, vision and ability to stand strong in the pocket.

I was a little surprised at how Heritage (a 5A school) seems a little lacking in talent and size. The OLine looks like it averaged 230 pounds. I could see how those factors would impair his stats some. If he is at an elite high school, he is probably getting much more publicity. It will be key for him to compete at camps this summer.

In conclusion, I think he'd look great in a Buff uniform!

As I was watching this film, I was thinking that this kid looks like a young Tom Brady. Ryan certainly seems to have a very similar throwing motion, similar height and weight and they both run 6.0 40's. I pulled a highlight video of Brady while at Michigan to compare. One big difference and thing Ryan will need to develop is better and faster footwork. I really like his quick release, vision and ability to stand strong in the pocket.

I was a little surprised at how Heritage (a 5A school) seems a little lacking in talent and size. The OLine looks like it averaged 230 pounds. I could see how those factors would impair his stats some. If he is at an elite high school, he is probably getting much more publicity. It will be key for him to compete at camps this summer.

In conclusion, I think he'd look great in a Buff uniform!

Heritage doesn't produce D1 football talent. The best player to come out of Heritage was Tom Rouen..... yes, the punter.

Also, they're a small 5A school and kind of bounce between 4A and 5A if I remember correctly.

It will be key for him to compete at camps this summer.
:stupid:
Given the less than ideal stats on his season, Novak absolutely needs to do the camp circuit this summer where his skills can be compared with other top QB prospects, with better coaches and better receivers to throw to.

for some reason after watching him play ten or so games I'm not sold. he Throw s way to many interceptions,.is not mobile and misses open receivers.

Ideally, I don't want any QB playing before his junior year. When USC was rolling, they had that in place.
I agree that generally speaking a well-run team is led more frequently by upper class QBs.

But we should be recruiting blue chip QBs who can at least push the upper classmen and be good enough to be 2nd/3rd string by RS Fr year in case they are needed and also to get some garbage time experience. Dillon is a good example of someone that fits this description. Does Novak?

Dillon fits that decription because there is no one else... Novak when on a good team will be that kind of QB.

I agree that generally speaking a well-run team is led more frequently by upper class QBs.

But we should be recruiting blue chip QBs who can at least push the upper classmen and be good enough to be 2nd/3rd string by RS Fr year in case they are needed and also to get some garbage time experience. Dillon is a good example of someone that fits this description. Does Novak?

Dillon fits that decription because there is no one else... Novak when on a good team will be that kind of QB.
Boyd can be obtuse almost to the point of trolling sometimes. Please don't feel compelled to answer his questions.

Boyd can be obtuse almost to the point of trolling sometimes. Please don't feel compelled to answer his questions.

No problem at all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even the person a few posts before who mentioned something about too many INT's and missing receivers. Well first off he, and no one else is perfect. But the facts, and we should only deal with facts, 39 dropped passes last season, a ton of pressure, and tipped balls that led to INT's. Kind of hard for a first year observer to see the whole picture, but that is understandable. Hard work and a dedication to get better, will hopefully help Ryan out and perhaps something goods work out, just have to wait and see.

Seems some people didn't quite get my point-or I miscommunicated it. Some were suggesting, at least I thought, that Novak may be a "project" and not really be ready to start until his junior year. And I think some were not concerned about that given our current QB roster and suggested it doesn't matter b/c he probably wouldn't need to start until his junior year anyway.

My point is, at the QB position, we should be recruiting players we think could push for a starting spot early even if it is unlikely they actually will have to. I am not saying Novak does or doesn't fit that criteria-I am asking if he does.

I like Novak size and arm strenght, his recruiting reminds me of Zach Robinson. Not highly recruited but with the good coaching he made it at Oklahoma state. Novak is worth a scholarship, I am confident Scherer can coach him up. That throw at 4:40 with the defender all over him, is big time.

Last edited:
Back