What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO QB Ryan Novak

Seems some people didn't quite get my point-or I miscommunicated it. Some were suggesting, at least I thought, that Novak may be a "project" and not really be ready to start until his junior year. And I think some were not concerned about that given our current QB roster and suggested it doesn't matter b/c he probably wouldn't need to start until his junior year anyway.

My point is, at the QB position, we should be recruiting players we think could push for a starting spot early even if it is unlikely they actually will have to. I am not saying Novak does or doesn't fit that criteria-I am asking if he does.

boyd,

The problem is that there are maybe 10 QBs a year that fit that criteria for a BCS program. Should we offer those guys and take them if they want to commit to CU? Absolutely.

But when you get past that, you have two options to consider. You can either focus on getting really polished guys who had great high school coaching but also have limited upside (Cody is a good example). Or you can focus on a more raw prospect who has the measurables (size, arm strength, etc.) that give him an extremely high ceiling if you can develop him. I prefer the latter, assuming we don't land a blue chip.

And, honestly, Dillon is an example of the latter.

Regarding Novak, it will be interesting to see how his summer and senior year go. Last year, he altered his body because he was seen as overweight and slow as a sophomore. He got skinny and cut about a half second off his 40 time. Unfortunately, he seemed to lose some strength and ability to stand up in the pocket to less than adequate blocking... and his play suffered. I saw him in person at one of last year's practices and I can tell you that he absolutely passes the eyeball test. He's at least 6'5", has huge hands and probably has a size 16 shoe. He could play at 240 lbs and look thin once he's in a college training program.

Right now, there are eleven 4* and 5* uncommitted QBs in the West (including Texas) based on the Rivals database:

Max Browne (WA) 5* - CU offer
Cooper Bateman (UT) 4* - CU offer
Hayden Rettig (CA) 4*
Troy Williams (CA) 4*
JT Barrett (TX) 4*
Kenny Hill (TX) 4*
Cody Thomas (TX) 4*
Brandon Cox (CA) 4*
Jarrett Solomon (NV) 4* - CU offer
Tyler Bruggman (AZ) 4*
Sefo Liufau (WA) 4*

I'd assume there are a couple more that CU has scouted and the coaches are very high on, so let's say that we have a board stacked with a Top 5. If we miss on those guys, then Novak (assuming he's not considered among our blue chip targets) is likely to be among the top targets from the next group.

I'm not hyped on offering 'project' players with the limited amount of scholarships we have available. Hopefully Novak will remove all doubt about his abilities in his SR year.

Regarding Novak, it will be interesting to see how his summer and senior year go. Last year, he altered his body because he was seen as overweight and slow as a sophomore. He got skinny and cut about a half second off his 40 time. Unfortunately, he seemed to lose some strength and ability to stand up in the pocket to less than adequate blocking... and his play suffered. I saw him in person at one of last year's practices and I can tell you that he absolutely passes the eyeball test. He's at least 6'5", has huge hands and probably has a size 16 shoe. He could play at 240 lbs and look thin once he's in a college training program.

Reminds me of Hirschman.

I'm not hyped on offering 'project' players with the limited amount of scholarships we have available. Hopefully Novak will remove all doubt about his abilities in his SR year.
:stupid: Call me a troll if you want Burrito but I am completely with VB on this one. Estoy de acuerdo contigo Vamos!

Last year, he altered his body because he was seen as overweight and slow as a sophomore. He got skinny and cut about a half second off his 40 time.

He would have had to be a bit too heavy if he trimmed that much time off of his forty time.

Once a male hits puberty, the forty time doesn't change that much unless the kid's ass is attached to a rocket.

I'm not going to even pretend to be a QB expert here, I don't know if we should offer him or not. I'll leave that up to the coaches.

A couple of things that should be noted though. One is that he has shown some character. In a time when kids, especially QBs, are willing to transfer schools to "better situations" at the drop of a hat he has stuck with his team and his teammates. With the skills he has I am certain that plenty of surrounding schools with much more talent to put around him, better known coaching staffs, nicer facilities, and winning records would have beem more than glad to promise him certain things to transfer in. I would be willing to bet that he has had that option "mentioned" to him numerous times over the past couple years and instead he has stuck with his team. I think this is a sign of integrity.

Also a lot of the kids that we compare him against are playing at those schools with superior surrounding talent. It's much easier to make highlight throws when you have a reciever or three who you know can and will get separation on coverage on most plays. It's easier to appear cool and in charge when you have multiple OL players who will get at least small college looks in front of you and you can count on having a certain amount of time. It's a lot easier when you have a running game that leaves you in second and 3 to go on a regular basis instead of second and 13.

Ideally he has a great summer camp season, shows that he can play with top level talent, continues to develop and the Buffs make him an offer that he accepts. Time will tell.

I'm not going to even pretend to be a QB expert here, I don't know if we should offer him or not. I'll leave that up to the coaches.

A couple of things that should be noted though. One is that he has shown some character. In a time when kids, especially QBs, are willing to transfer schools to "better situations" at the drop of a hat he has stuck with his team and his teammates. With the skills he has I am certain that plenty of surrounding schools with much more talent to put around him, better known coaching staffs, nicer facilities, and winning records would have beem more than glad to promise him certain things to transfer in. I would be willing to bet that he has had that option "mentioned" to him numerous times over the past couple years and instead he has stuck with his team. I think this is a sign of integrity.

Also a lot of the kids that we compare him against are playing at those schools with superior surrounding talent. It's much easier to make highlight throws when you have a reciever or three who you know can and will get separation on coverage on most plays. It's easier to appear cool and in charge when you have multiple OL players who will get at least small college looks in front of you and you can count on having a certain amount of time. It's a lot easier when you have a running game that leaves you in second and 3 to go on a regular basis instead of second and 13.

Ideally he has a great summer camp season, shows that he can play with top level talent, continues to develop and the Buffs make him an offer that he accepts. Time will tell.

Buffnik, spot on with your assessment of Ryan and nice job on the height and shoe size :) but he is actually a little taller. MtnBuff, perfect way to explain how some players are preceived on being either good or bad based on their supporting cast. Bottom line, at any position that you play, if you have the technique, skills, and the size, any kid that is coachable will be able to play at a high level when given the chance. Some kids are viewed as sleepers when they first come out, then suddenly burst on the scene when they are given the reigns and get an opportunity to show what they can do in the right situation.

QBdad, what is up with your son's recruitment. is the coaching staff showing much interest in him? does he have any offers yet? thanks for posting

QBdad, what is up with your son's recruitment. is the coaching staff showing much interest in him? does he have any offers yet? thanks for posting

There was a report that Ryan will be attending Junior Day.

There was a report that Ryan will be attending Junior Day.

I guess that depends on when JR day is at CU. If they are doing it the same day as their spring game, then he looks to already have been invited to another school that day, and that invite came back in January. Don't think he has heard much from CU to this point, not nearly as much as from other schools, so I don't know what if any interest they have in him. I know he likes CU, but recruiting is a two way street. Hope that helps.

I guess that depends on when JR day is at CU. If they are doing it the same day as their spring game, then he looks to already have been invited to another school that day, and that invite came back in January. Don't think he has heard much from CU to this point, not nearly as much as from other schools, so I don't know what if any interest they have in him. I know he likes CU, but recruiting is a two way street. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update. I'm pretty sure that Junior Day is the same day as the Spring Game.

Anybody have an update with this kid? What schools are involved? If CU would consider taking 2 QBs? I would've thought he'd have 10 offers by now.

mmm - im no recruiting expert, but i think the junior performance probably is going to give schools some pause and are going to want to see camp/senior year performance

Ryan Novak, has the physical skills, with good coaching, won't surprise me if he is develops into a good college QB. I don't want him going to CSU.

mmm - im no recruiting expert, but i think the junior probably is going to give schools some pause and are going to want to see camp/senior year performance

I would say this is likely correct. To get tons of early offers as a QB, you better either be a star in camps or be a "gamer" whose production on the field cannot be ignored. If you are neither, tough for coaches to give you that early offer at a position where most schools are working with one scholarship a year.

I would say this is likely correct. To get tons of early offers as a QB, you better either be a star in camps or be a "gamer" whose production on the field cannot be ignored. If you are neither, tough for coaches to give you that early offer at a position where most schools are working with one scholarship a year.

QB is such an important position that schools tend to "shoot high" out of the gate. Just about everybody figures they are an elite QB away from being a much better team so they focus their attention on those guys who are the consensus top level.

As those guys commit then schools will start to re-evaluate and start looking for plan B. Novak hasn't been high enough profile to be a plan A for major schools but his physical talents are certainly enough to get attention as a solid fallback for the schools who got left out in round one. I hope he doesn't jump to early on a MWC level offer, those will still be there later in the process. If he performs well in the camps and gets a solid start to the HS season he could end up with some AQ level offers in Oct/Nov.

Are you trying to be his future agent or something? Novak should be thankful for each and every offer that comes his way. To have the attitude that he is entirely too good for MWC schools is the exact wrong way to go about it.

Are you trying to be his future agent or something? Novak should be thankful for each and every offer that comes his way. To have the attitude that he is entirely too good for MWC schools is the exact wrong way to go about it.

Not saying that he is entirely too good, at the same time he shouldn't sell himself short by jumping on the first crappy offer that comes his way. History has shown that a lot of guys like Novak end up with major offers if they have the patience to wait for the dust to settle. The CSU offer will still be there if he doesn't get the others.

Not saying that he is entirely too good, at the same time he shouldn't sell himself short by jumping on the first crappy offer that comes his way. History has shown that a lot of guys like Novak end up with major offers if they have the patience to wait for the dust to settle. The CSU offer will still be there if he doesn't get the others.

When you have no offers, there are no "crappy" offers. That is my point.

I will be watching and evaluating this BIG kid tonight 9/14/12. I will report back to see if CU is missing a local talent??

I'm surprised teams like Wyoming, UNLV, Iowa St., Central Michigan, SMU, Ball St., Indiana haven't gotten in on him. Or is he keeping those teams kind of quiet?

I never said he was bad and i never said he was gonna be a big time recruit. IM jus sayin i've seen better. I know freshmen That are the best QB's in their state. this guy can do it big. I've jus seen better

I never said he was bad and i never said he was gonna be a big time recruit. IM jus sayin i've seen better. I know freshmen That are the best QB's in their state. this guy can do it big. I've jus seen better

With what they are trying to do this season, he has no way to impress anyone.

Correct that's you first post

not a Sefo - but kid looks legit...should be getting looks compared to what we are fielding lately?? and definitely a csu or wyoming kid

Wyoming has a history of taking guys similar to Ryan and making them into very effective QBs. Wyo would not be a bad place for him to end up.

I can haz cheezeberger?

Back