What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO QB Ryan Novak

Novak still doesn't have any offers. Another guy we should invite to walk on. Lots of upside with this kid.

Novak still doesn't have any offers. Another guy we should invite to walk on. Lots of upside with this kid.

Seems like a good kid. I wonder how well he would fit in the pistol. With so many teams going to spreads or versions of it his apparent lack of mobility is probably what is costing him offers.

He could be a huge steal for an FCS team or even D2 that is willing to run a more traditional pocket passing scheme. With his height and his he could tear up lower division pass defenses.

I'd like to see him walk-on at CU but again don't know how good a fit he would be. Again his speed makes him odd man out and also would make it hard for him to move to a different position. He easily has the size to be a TE, LB or DE but if the 5.0 that is listed looks to be fairly accurate and wouldn't be competitive at those positions.

What happened with this kid? I remember we were thinking this kid could be pretty darn good.

What happened with this kid? I remember we were thinking this kid could be pretty darn good.

He is just not very good. He followed up a sub-par junior season with a poor senior season:

43% completions, 910 yards, 6 TDs, 7 INTs

He is just not very good. He followed up a sub-par junior season with a poor senior season:

43% completions, 910 yards, 6 TDs, 7 INTs

If the size is correct on him he maybe worth a look as a walk-on with an eye towards playing TE/OT.

Have to respect him for sticking with his school and his teammates but in this case it may have really hurt his chances.

Sr. stats were terrible for someone looking for a major college offer. I have to wonder with his size and his arm if he wouldn't have done much better at a school that had more talent around him and some coaching more familiar with developing QBs for the next level. I'm not saying that staying at Heritage is why he didn't develop, don't know a thing about their staff, but it is worth considering why some schools manage to turn out kid after kid who manages to go on to the next level, even if their talent puts them in a lower division.

If the size is correct on him he maybe worth a look as a walk-on with an eye towards playing TE/OT.

Maybe. I have no issue with MacIntyre taking this spring to explore PWO opportunities as his assistants tour the state. I hope it works out the best for Novak regardless of where he ends up.

He's definitely a big guy. I saw him last spring and he's a couple inches taller than me with long arms and like a size 15 shoe. Size isn't the issue here.

Watched him play a couple of times this year. Actually he stood by the coach and watched a smaller more athletic kid play QB. Novak is a BIG kid though... One of the bigger (thick and tall) kids on the team, was brought in on a couple of passing downs where it was obvious they were going to throw, nice ball just not super accurate... would be a great walk on or smaller division college.

Last edited:
According to his dad on the prep board he is enrolled at UNC as a regular student with no current plans to continue playing football

Interesting.

Makes you wonder if he conveyed that to the various coaches last year, and that's why it seemed like no one was recruiting him.

Interesting.

Makes you wonder if he conveyed that to the various coaches last year, and that's why it seemed like no one was recruiting him.

Don't think he conveyed that message at all. Just really got the shaft by his HS coaches and I think that really set him back. It is sad to see a kid that really wanted to play at the next level, not be interested after HS. Hope he gets the itch to play, because he has the skills and the smarts to play somewhere in the right system.

Don't think he conveyed that message at all. Just really got the shaft by his HS coaches and I think that really set him back. It is sad to see a kid that really wanted to play at the next level, not be interested after HS. Hope he gets the itch to play, because he has the skills and the smarts to play somewhere in the right system.

Might be,

Without the coaching at the HS level it is hard to adjust to the college level, if he was odd man out for a bad team that puts him further behind. For his sake it might make sense to give it a try someplace at a D2 level just to be able to go through life knowing that he gave it a shot. If he is able to contribute he can go out and have fun without all the pressure of major college ball. If he can't make it then at least he knows he gave it a shot and doesn't go through life wondering what could have been.

Seems like a good kid who may have gotten a bad deal. With his physical skills he could have very easily transfered to another high school with much more talent around him and a more successful coaching staff. Instead he stayed loyal to his teammates and ended up with a bad outcome.

Might be,

Without the coaching at the HS level it is hard to adjust to the college level, if he was odd man out for a bad team that puts him further behind. For his sake it might make sense to give it a try someplace at a D2 level just to be able to go through life knowing that he gave it a shot. If he is able to contribute he can go out and have fun without all the pressure of major college ball. If he can't make it then at least he knows he gave it a shot and doesn't go through life wondering what could have been.

Seems like a good kid who may have gotten a bad deal. With his physical skills he could have very easily transfered to another high school with much more talent around him and a more successful coaching staff. Instead he stayed loyal to his teammates and ended up with a bad outcome.

MtnBuff, You are right on with your last comment. He definitely paid the price for hanging around. Had a chance to transfer a couple of times, but stayed at a school that wasn't even his home school to begin with. I guess when you start off so good as a soph and certain QB records are bound to be broken at that pace, you knew they would tighten the reigns them ultimately cut them off. He could play at the DI level with his size and QB IQ, but it would need to be the right pro style offense. Seen a ton of QB's in my day and he definitely can throw just as well as many of them. Unfortunately never got the chance last two years of his HS career to show that and it took away his passion for the game, hope it comes back.

Who is the coach at Heritage.... Griebel? Are you suggesting that he benched Ryan because he was afraid the passing records would be broken?

Seen a ton of QB's in my day and he definitely can throw just as well as many of them. Unfortunately never got the chance last two years of his HS career to show that and it took away his passion for the game, hope it comes back.

One of many who want to play ball.

Did not "have" to play ball.
Sorta like:

“I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance”
George Balanchine

Who is the coach at Heritage.... Griebel? Are you suggesting that he benched Ryan because he was afraid the passing records would be broken?

Well unless you know anything about the program over the last few years, don't know how I should respond. Let's just say things changed more than 180 degrees from the time he got there up to this season. I guess now they feel by doing what they did this season, they are primed and ready for the next 4 years. Anyway, they got what they wanted, and now a kid who is pretty talented doesn't seem to want to play at this time. No excuses, just reality.

Ok - I find that hard to believe, but I wish Ryan good luck in his time at UNC. Maybe he will find his passion again.

Back