What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 Mexico K/P Diego Gonzalez (Signed to Colorado)

I hate having more than 2 guys on scholarship for K/P as much as anyone, but it does seem like we at least got good value here. He can do kickoffs and long field goals this year, while Neinas proves his worth and works on his accuracy.

Seems odd to have another Kicker on scholly but if he is better than the other guys than it is worth it.

Seems odd to have another Kicker on scholly but if he is better than the other guys than it is worth it.

Since both our punter and kicker have 2 years left, it definitely is too early to bring in a kicker. That tells me there is an issue we aren't fully aware of. Oliver's leg is suspect. Maybe they aren't happy or maybe there's an injury concern.... Or maybe this guy can just boom them? Our kickoffs could use some power.

My understanding, and could be wrong, is that he only would have to sit out a year if he had been attending a school that had an NCAA recognized football program. Universities in in Mexico do play football but it is looked at the same as a club program and thus doesn't require the year sitting out.

This would be similar to if a kid spent his first year at CU Boulder then decided to play Hockey at DU. Since CU doesn't have an NCAA hockey program he could play right away.

Correct. There are no NCAA football programs in Mexico.

'13 Mexico K/P Diego Gonzalez

I loved the Syd Finch reference. Would have rep. But don't yet know how from TapTalk.

Since both our punter and kicker have 2 years left, it definitely is too early to bring in a kicker. That tells me there is an issue we aren't fully aware of. Oliver's leg is suspect. Maybe they aren't happy or maybe there's an injury concern.... Or maybe this guy can just boom them? Our kickoffs could use some power.

It tells me at best we're just hurting for someone who can kick a ball out of the endzone. Zero currently on the roster have shown they can do that consistently without it going straight to the most explosive returner or out at the sideline.

At worst... uh oh.

'13 Mexico K/P Diego Gonzalez

It tells me at best we're just hurting for someone who can kick a ball out of the endzone. Zero currently on the roster have shown they can do that consistently without it going straight to the most explosive returner or out at the sideline.

At worst... uh oh.

How is that the best case? Special teams are huge and locking down kick returns would be huge. The mid can launch the ball. Best case is he gets his accuracy down and becomes the FG kicker who can get us three points from deep. Worst case is he is someone who can kick the ball out of the end zone for four years.

How is that the best case? Special teams are huge and locking down kick returns would be huge. The mid can launch the ball. Best case is he gets his accuracy down and becomes the FG kicker who can get us three points from deep. Worst case is he is someone who can kick the ball out of the end zone for four years.

Best case means we aren't losing any of our kicking unit to attrition, just that they need some competition to push them.

Even assuming there is nothing wrong with Oliver or O'Neill, this would still be a great addition.

Oliver's comfortable range is out to 40 yards (maybe 45).

Beyond that, we have been horrible on kickoffs the past couple years. For the love of all that is holy, please find someone who is capable of not kicking the ball out of bounds and can land it beyond the 10 yard line when kicking off at altitude.

Even assuming there is nothing wrong with Oliver or O'Neill, this would still be a great addition.

Oliver's comfortable range is out to 40 yards (maybe 45).

Beyond that, we have been horrible on kickoffs the past couple years. For the love of all that is holy, please find someone who is capable of not kicking the ball out of bounds and can land it beyond the 10 yard line when kicking off at altitude.

Keep in mind as well that for whatever reason, Kanavis McGhee was "in charge" of kickoffs most of last season, and he intentionally had them kicking pooch kicks to specific yard lines. Nobody ever figured out what the strategy was, exactly.

With Wilhelm gone, they might want Diego as a backup punter as well. Not sure we have one on the roster, unless Castor and Oliver have unknown talent there.

Keep in mind as well that for whatever reason, Kanavis McGhee was "in charge" of kickoffs most of last season, and he intentionally had them kicking pooch kicks to specific yard lines. Nobody ever figured out what the strategy was, exactly.

With Wilhelm gone, they might want Diego as a backup punter as well. Not sure we have one on the roster, unless Castor and Oliver have unknown talent there.

Regardless of whether Kanavis was doing something stupid, I can guarantee he wasn't saying to try to land the ball at the 15 with no hang time. Our kickoffs sucked. Blaming the coach only goes so far.

Regardless of whether Kanavis was doing something stupid, I can guarantee he wasn't saying to try to land the ball at the 15 with no hang time. Our kickoffs sucked. Blaming the coach only goes so far.

Sorry, wasn't blaming coach for talent or lack thereof, just saying it was hard to know what the players could do, when the coach's direction was not to kick into the endzone most of the time.

Sorry, wasn't blaming coach for talent or lack thereof, just saying it was hard to know what the players could do, when the coach's direction was not to kick into the endzone most of the time.

Hmm... Try to kick it to the endzone = 105 yard kickoff returns. Pooch kick it shorter = give up field position but have one of the slower guys return it.

Playing not to lose, CU's favorite strategy of the last decade.

Hmm... Try to kick it to the endzone = 105 yard kickoff returns. Pooch kick it shorter = give up field position but have one of the slower guys return it.

Playing not to get beaten worse than you already are, CU's favorite strategy of the last decade.

fify

looking at the roster short of Castor I dont see what the concern is that some people have with spacing and scholly, we have no Soph or Fr on scholly at kicker or punter.

looking at the roster short of Castor I dont see what the concern is that some people have with spacing and scholly, we have no Soph or Fr on scholly at kicker or punter.

it's uncommon to have 2 kickers on scholarship at the same time. It's more common to serialize them with no overlap, or perhaps a redshirt. This kid has no redshirt apparently. We have 3 kickers on scholarship now. That's a LOT. The thinking is pretty obviously that the staff wants a guy who can kick it out of the endzone at Folsom. Plus this kid has a high ceiling and could develop into a real weapon, perhaps also as a punter.

it's uncommon to have 2 kickers on scholarship at the same time. It's more common to serialize them with no overlap, or perhaps a redshirt. This kid has no redshirt apparently. We have 3 kickers on scholarship now. That's a LOT. The thinking is pretty obviously that the staff wants a guy who can kick it out of the endzone at Folsom. Plus this kid has a high ceiling and could develop into a real weapon, perhaps also as a punter.

I think we took him now because we're replacing Oliver and Darragh in the same season and doing that at the same time with a freshman kicker/punter seems like a disaster

Back