What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 NY OT Connor Center (Signed to Colorado)

Well it is certainly not common to make BCS offers to high school kids who haven't played football in HS. Reminds me a bit of Nembot in that he didn't grow up playing football but had great athleticism and measurables and was highly sought after as well for the upside. He also took some time to get his feet wet but will probably start this year.

Welcome Connor!

He hasn't played a down of organized football in high school? Okay...

It takes a good, smart and coachable athlete all of about three weeks to learn to play football. After that, its refining the basics. Too, at this point he hasn't acquired any bad habits.

For example, Gillam has played less than three years, Nembot just a little more than that.

It takes a good, smart and coachable athlete all of about three weeks to learn to play football. After that, its refining the basics. Too, at this point he hasn't acquired any bad habits.

For example, Gillam has played less than three years, Nembot just a little more than that.

three weeks? put the bong down, open a window and get some fresh air.

The only thing I worry about if I'm his OL coach is whether he likes contact and has a mean streak. Technique will probably be better from teaching him the right way from day one versus breaking a bunch of habits. Other than that, it's mostly a matter of repetition to get a feel for the game and a comfort level with the moves and counter-moves a DE will throw at you. Figuring out how to fire out well enough to get leverage and movement without over-extending (i.e., keep your hips sunk and centered for the right power & balance base) only comes with time.

Give me the choice between a raw talent with the frame & athleticism to be all-conference in a few years or a technician who could play right away but has little upside... and I'll take the raw talent every time in recruiting.

Might have the best offer list from all our recruits. Looks like mm is going to take athletes and worry about position later.

what the ever-loving unlawful carnal knowledge are you talking about? i don't even know where to start with this. you and i have a very different definition of the basics.

This is the dumbest thing you've ever said. I feel that really says something because you have a knack for saying stupid crap, but this really takes the cake.

3 weeks people. 3. weeks.

What's weird about it?

Mostly that a guy with no organized football background attracted attention from schools with higher profiles than us, including the major program in his home state, and he chose us. Not used to winning those battles for such a mysterious yet heralded recruit who seemingly just appears out of nowhere.

Hah. Yeah. This guy's just like 5 *, #2 at his position recruit Miller. Let's not get carried away.

Glad to have the guy and welcome aboard. Time to start learning some football.

Mostly that a guy with no organized football background attracted attention from schools with higher profiles than us, including the major program in his home state, and he chose us. Not used to winning those battles for such a mysterious yet heralded recruit who seemingly just appears out of nowhere.

I don't see anything weird about taking a raw athlete with great size and good speed.

This is the dumbest thing you've ever said. I feel that really says something because you have a knack for saying stupid crap, but this really takes the cake.

3 weeks people. 3. weeks.

It takes an OT about 2-3 years to learn how to play OT at this level. Not sure how much the High School experience helps this process. But like 'Nik said, it shows what type of aggression he has. I've been around some linemen who had the skills but really didn't like to hit. In HS, they crushed everyone. In college, the other guy could hit back and EVERY single one of them lost their love for the game quickly and exited stage right.

What if the kid hates getting violent? Doesn't enjoy the bruises. Doesn't like the weight room? Those are the risks. Not his lack of HS film.

It takes an OT about 2-3 years to learn how to play OT at this level. Not sure how much the High School experience helps this process. But like 'Nik said, it shows what type of aggression he has. I've been around some linemen who had the skills but really didn't like to hit. In HS, they crushed everyone. In college, the other guy could hit back and EVERY single one of them lost their love for the game quickly and exited stage right.

What if the kid hates getting violent? Doesn't enjoy the bruises. Doesn't like the weight room? Those are the risks. Not his lack of HS film.

Learning to play tackle at the BCS level does take at least a couple of years for all but the most gifted players. A guy who is a tremendous athlete can learn to play football relatively quickly but not in 3 weeks. After that there is a period of getting the game ingrained, at the major college level certain things have to become a reflex reaction, if you have to take time to think you have already lost on the play.

There is also a timeframe for learning how to use your body in football, especially for O-linemen. You have to develop a sense of how to maintain balance while engaging in contact, how to use leverage to counter power, how to use your hands (without getting called) to influence the balance and position of an opponent and more importantly to keep your opponent from getting his hands on you in a way that gives him an advantage. The really good O-linemen just do this naturally. Watch a guy like Ryan Clady and it is amazing what he does with his hands.

My guess is that the risk in this case isn't as huge as we think. If he turns out to just not like football I doubt he stays around for 4 years. If he does like football he looks like the kind of athlete who can pick it up reasonably quickly and contribute at some position

I like the kid, especially with our depth on the oline in the future. With that offer list, I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come in the future with MM recruiting.

Wow just checked out the OL depth chart. We definitely needed some tackles. Center is still at least 3 years away from any meaningful contribution on the OL (assuming he ends up there)

Okay, Coach, why is he "at least three years away from any meaningful contribution?" Nobody has seen him play, including you, the ol' ball coach!

If hes smart, coachable and athletic, he could be a big contributor right away, after a RS year. Little different from a RB moving to LB or other position switch.

But then, I guess the same could be said about any OL prospect.

Welcome Connor. Can't wait to read more about this story. Going from no football to several D1 offers! Sounds somewhat similar to the Nembot story.

Welcome Connor. Can't wait to read more about this story. Going from no football to several D1 offers! Sounds somewhat similar to the Nembot story.

For those of you who played 4 years of HS football and didn't get a whiff of an offer, begin feeling sorry for yourselves......... now.

Okay, Coach, why is he "at least three years away from any meaningful contribution?" Nobody has seen him play, including you, the ol' ball coach!
I like how you act like playing OT, or anywhere on the OL for that matter, is an easy thing to learn. Connor has never played football, you really expect him to pick up enough skill in just one year to become a contributor? :rofl: It's Nembot's third year in the program and his third year learning to play tackle and he is still struggling with some a decent amount of things, namely pass blocking.

For those of you who played 4 years of HS football and didn't get a whiff of an offer, begin feeling sorry for yourselves......... now.
:lol:

Offensive tackle is apparently the easiest position to master on the football field. Who knew?

FYI, rep to cree buzz who found evidence that Connor did actually receive an offer from Miami. That means HCMM just beat out freaking Miami for an east coast boy. And that is Miami, Florida (not my undergrad alma mater Miami, Ohio)!

The offer from the Hurricanes appears legit. From the Miami Herald (from Cree):

Not only did UM last week add two-star linebacker and Plantation American Heritage graduate Walter Tucker — an elite hurdler who had no other football scholarship offers — to its 2013 class, but Canesport.com said UM also offered a 2013 football scholarship to a player who has never played football: New York-based Connor Center.

Center taped a workout and sent it to UM — which projects him as a tight end — and other schools. Center, 6-7, said UM is “at the top” of his list with Colorado. He plans to visit in the next week.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

FYI, rep to cree buzz who found evidence that Connor did actually receive an offer from Miami. That means HCMM just beat out freaking Miami for an east coast boy. And that is Miami, Florida (not my undergrad alma mater Miami, Ohio)!

The offer from the Hurricanes appears legit. From the Miami Herald (from Cree):

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy[/COLOR][/LEFT]

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

It's awesome to see that CU can win a battle or two against multiple BCS teams! Welcome Connor!

Hah. Yeah. This guy's just like 5 *, #2 at his position recruit Miller. Let's not get carried away.

Glad to have the guy and welcome aboard. Time to start learning some football.

who turned out better, miller or solder?

That's a big kid!!

Would it be easier for him to begin his career as a tight end, and then perhaps shift over to OT when he is a junior or senior?

Back