What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 NY OT Connor Center (Signed to Colorado)

It seemed that MM's program at San Jose focused more on building football players than it did on necessarily competing for recruits.

Please don't take that to mean that we shouldn't expect him to compete for recruits here (a very different scenario). I'm simply suggesting that he and his staff have proven in the past that they know how to build football players.

It seemed that MM's program at San Jose focused more on building football players than it did on necessarily competing for recruits.

Please don't take that to mean that we shouldn't expect him to compete for recruits here (a very different scenario). I'm simply suggesting that he and his staff have proven in the past that they know how to build football players.

That will be crucial for us right now. Center seems like a worthwhile project.

That's a big kid!!

Would it be easier for him to begin his career as a tight end, and then perhaps shift over to OT when he is a junior or senior?
I am wondering this as well. I assume he could compete at TE quicker. This kid would be a huge target at TE. How the heck would opposing teams defend this kid?

Last edited:
Just for comparison... gronk was 6-6 256 and ran a 4.68 pre-draft. This kid is all but the same but 2 inches taller as a high school senior. Wow, great place to start as far as measurables go.

Haha that senior photo of Nate is classic. I wont hijack this thread though. Are these the only two videos of this recruit out there? His measurable look great and he looks to be very athletic and comfortable with his size but I dont find these videos to be anything jaw dropping.
I'm with you. That's why I was hoping he could pick up the TE position fairly quickly. The senior photo is awesome.

what the ever-loving unlawful carnal knowledge are you talking about? i don't even know where to start with this. you and i have a very different definition of the basics.

C'mon, big man! It ain't rocket surgery. You know any fat kid with a pulse can walk out there and learn OL technique in a week. That's why there are so many great O-lines! (I know I don't need the sarcasm font with you) Most fans and even most high school coaches have little to no clue regarding the complexity and need for repetitions in order to become competent at the O-Line. An athletic, big kid like this could get to a level of compentency with a year and a spring and could be a clean slate for the right O-line coach. That said, I always tell my kids that playing the O-line is a collective martial art that requires thousands of reps in order to perfect. It has to be instinctual and it certainly is a game of slight violent and controlled movement of the feet, hips and hands. I agree that the comment you responded to displays a level of indiocy that is not only entertaining but also illustrative of my premise here.

C'mon, big man! It ain't rocket surgery. You know any fat kid with a pulse can walk out there and learn OL technique in a week. That's why there are so many great O-lines! (I know I don't need the sarcasm font with you) Most fans and even most high school coaches have little to no clue regarding the complexity and need for repetitions in order to become competent at the O-Line. An athletic, big kid like this could get to a level of compentency with a year and a spring and could be a clean slate for the right O-line coach. That said, I always tell my kids that playing the O-line is a collective martial art that requires thousands of reps in order to perfect. It has to be instinctual and it certainly is a game of slight violent and controlled movement of the feet, hips and hands. I agree that the comment you responded to displays a level of indiocy that is not only entertaining but also illustrative of my premise here.

Hey any big fat guy can learn to be an OL quickly, that's why LT is the second or third highest paid position in the NFL.

Fla & Wyo,

Based on the "God Given" attributes, do you feel good about this risk?

I guess we'd have to assume that he's a competitor, responds to coaching, has the required work ethic, and will like contact/have a mean streak in order to answer this question.

But if he has all that, do you see a guy who could situationally help as a TE his RS-Frosh year and become a good Pac-12 LT by his RS-Junior year?

Orr--suck it.

Wyo, even though I'm your brother, I'm still heavy, but excellent and vivid description of what o-line play is. The controlled violence that must be exercised, as opposed to the wanton fury of a defensive player...sure, defensive players have assignments, but they can do everything wrong according to a call and still get a TFL, sack or int(Gary Howe intercepted a pass after getting knocked 10 yds off his nose guard position one game in 1990). Offensive players, and linemen especially have to be fundamentally sound, know enough to anticipate what could happen, and strong enough to do something about it.

Nick, I think the biggest thing is his desire to hit. Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the face. If the kid has the desire to throw his body around without regard to pain then he will succeed. Then if he's athlete enough to compete for PT at what ever positon, awesome.

Orr--suck it.

Wyo, even though I'm your brother, I'm still heavy, but excellent and vivid description of what o-line play is. The controlled violence that must be exercised, as opposed to the wanton fury of a defensive player...sure, defensive players have assignments, but they can do everything wrong according to a call and still get a TFL, sack or int(Gary Howe intercepted a pass after getting knocked 10 yds off his nose guard position one game in 1990). Offensive players, and linemen especially have to be fundamentally sound, know enough to anticipate what could happen, and strong enough to do something about it.

Nick, I think the biggest thing is his desire to hit. Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the face. If the kid has the desire to throw his body around without regard to pain then he will succeed. Then if he's athlete enough to compete for PT at what ever positon, awesome.

My earlier post in response to Buffidot dealt with learning the physical elements of playing OL. Didn't even get into the mental aspects. As you mention defensive players can go completely out of their given assignment and it still ends up as a hero by making a play. Each offensive lineman must not only execute his specifc task but must also coordinate it completely with the other members of the OL and with the correct timing for the ballcarrier or passer that they are blocking for. Defenses (at least well coached defenses, the Buffs for the last two years don't get included) continually make adjustments. O-linemen must recognize the adjustments or get the adjustments from their coaches and not only make the appropriate adjustments themselves but again do it in coordination with the rest of the offense. It is not unusual for pro players who have been playing for years to need the better part of a season to get this coordination to a point of being close to effective. I cannot see any way that a 19 year old kid who has never played the game in an organized manner could step in and get it in a short time.

If he is good enough athletically, and his offer list would indicate that is a possibility I could see him becoming a contributer in specific situations like short yardage after a year or so but as a regular player, no. That will have to wait till he has had enough practice snaps and study time for things to become somewhat natural for him.

I'd been under the impression he was signed, sealed, delivered...but just posted this a little bit ago. Also seems he did wind up visiting Miami...excited to see what he can do down the road.

Connor Center ‏@ConnorCenter87 20m Officially committed to play football at the University Colorado. Couldn't be happier to tear it up at such a special place!! #CUBuffs

Ya he did end up visiting Miami but he had already fallen in love with CU.

Colorado was the first to come visit me so I developed a really good relationship with Coach Adams. We got close really quickly....I couldn't live the rest of my life knowing I turned down a great opportunity like Colorado

Great interview over at rivals. It sounds like he was highly coveted. Perhaps more so than any other prospect we signed in '13

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1516356

Back