What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 WA QB Sefo Liufau (Signed to Colorado)

OK. A recruiting witticism I no longer want to here or read: "Now that he committed to CU he will drop to a 3-star." We have to stop this kind of loser mentality. And I've been guilty of saying it in the past. But we are an elite program about to reemerge. Yeah, maybe his star rating will drop a bit. But not because he committed to us.
It really has little to do with us. It is more to do with who he isnt committed to. The fan bases that are national powers have a high interest in recruiting therefore they drive sales on those premium sites. The sites pump up the stars on a certain recruit and they get more hits from those fan bases.

It really has little to do with us. It is more to do with who he isnt committed to. The fan bases that are national powers have a high interest in recruiting therefore they drive sales on those premium sites. The sites pump up the stars on a certain recruit and they get more hits from those fan bases.

I really don't believe that anymore nor do I see him losing his 4th star, i am wondering though when Scout ad ESPN are gonna rate him.

I understand that.

I really don't believe that anymore nor do I see him losing his 4th star, i am wondering though when Scout ad ESPN are gonna rate him.

Never seen a study but I have seen way to much ancedotal evidence that confirms this happening.

Great article about him committing in SB National Seattle:

http://seattle.sbnation.com/washing...ufau-colorado-football-recruiting-quarterback

Apr 16, 2012 - According to Scout's Jake Worthen, Tacoma's Sefo Liufau has committed to the Colorado Buffaloes. Liufau is one of the state's top signal callers, and has been mentored by former Washington State Cougar great Jack Thompson for the past year or so. Liufau is a great athlete and a good kid. At 6'4 and 219 pounds, he certainly fits the mold in terms of size. He has deceptive speed, however, and is able to escape the pocket when it collapses.

Liufau plays in an offense that isn't exactly pass happy, but still puts up very nice numbers. He excels in the short-to-medium passing range, but can get a little erratic when it comes to throwing deep. He has the arm strength but hasn't quite mastered the accuracy that far down field.

Liufau also carries an impressive 3.7 GPA. He has stated his recruitment is over, even though he committed to the first offer he had. Other schools will surely make contact, but it seems as if Liufau is firmly committed to head coach Jon Embree.

was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up him being down-graded to a three star after committing to us.

Though Colorado is the only school that has offered a scholarship to Liufau, it won’t be surprise if more schools follow suit in the coming months. Liufau said he’ll listen to their pitches, but he doesn’t plan to change his mind.
“I’ll respectfully listen to what they have to say,” Liufau said, “but I’m a Buff.”

From the article posted by DB. I am so excited!!

Wwwwwwwwooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Welcome to the b and g Sefo!!!

(insert dancing bannanas here)

Just so pumped to have Sefo on board. I was really big on him as soon as I saw the film a few months ago. I think there's arguably more upside potential here of any QB we've got on board, which really says something considering the ceilings of Wood and Dillon. Just fantastic the upgrade at talent we've been able to make at QB over such a quick period of time so early in the Embree area. These are going to be some epic QB battles. And on this one, the staff's recognition to make the big push on Sefo early is just spot on.

There's no doubt that Sefo is going to get some solid offers as the scramble for blue chip QB's really starts to begin in earnest. I'm obviously no expert, but this guy certainly looks 4* part to me, especially considering the questionable OL it appears he's had work with. I don't think we'll see any of the BS with saw with Dillon last year in terms of getting dropped - Liufau is pretty deep in the 4* range right now, it would be a pretty drastic fall to a 3*. It would seem like a Washington offer would present the most danger, but it looks like the Huskies really pushed for Browne and now have shifted focus to going hard after Cooper Bateman out of Utah. Not sure what Leach & Co are doing at Wazzu. Certainly no early momentum building verbals for them yet (just one verbal: JUCO RB out of Iowa). It remains to be seen if Leach is going to have what it takes to do the necessary recruiting to be successful in Pullman. As bad as Lubbock was, it's a lot easier to stumble into solid talent at TT than it is at Wazzu. I'm sure Washington fans have probably rationalized Liufau to CU as "well he isn't one of our top targets anyway", but whatever, It's nice to grab a blue chip QB from their state after the Cyler Miles situation in '12.

Anyway, nothing can give you early recruiting momentum like a blue chip QB verbal. Add in blue chipper Mitch Parsons and you've got to hope we'll be able to ride a little momentum wave. Certainly landing some quality OL next up would make me breathe a whole lot easier, and maybe it's time to find ourselves a high-3* or 4* burner at WR over these next couple months :nod:. Just crossing my fingers that we can keep the positive momentum going in the W/L column this season. It doesn't have to be 6-6 and a bowl (although if a program ever deserved some bounces this season, it's us), but at the minimum we have to find a way to 5-7 to show some upward trajectory from 3-10. Naturally the alternative of a 3-9 type season would hinder our ability to close strong in '13 and start strong in '14.

Exciting times. Great feeling to see vast talent infusion on the horizon.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Welcome to the Black and Gold!

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Side note: at this point the UW version of Sackman must be pitching' serious fittage over the dogs lack of ability to lock down the best local QBs. A pair of 4/5 * guys leaving the state? Yowch.

Point of clarification - My major concern is OL recruiting overall. Not just in-state OL recruiting. To illustrate the point, I mentioned 4-5 in-state OL who we whiffed on. In-state guys *should* be easier to recruit under normal circumstances. I'm still concerned about our OL recruiting.

Check the game tape

I am excited that more players that come with "talent consensus" from the professional scouting community are coming to Colorado. On the other hand, with the prevalence of highlights and tape on YouTube and alumni from all over the country, we can really serve ourselves better by looking at the kid on film instead of purely relying/worrying about the exact ranking. When I look at Liufau, I see a younger Aaron Rodgers. He's elusive, moves in the pocket fluidly, but will need improvement in his throwing motion. He'll need to work on developing a more cerebral approach, which our coaches can teach in the film room.

Nonetheless, the kid can flat throw the rock with power and accuracy, which is something we need on the depth chart. He's an exciting kid for us to land. If our coaches get "in" on him earlier than others and that benefits us, I'm good with that. Remember, the best QB in the NFL had 0 offers from D-1 schools coming out of HS and went to Butte JC until Tedford found him. I trust our coaches and their scouting. From the tape, this kid looks to have a "sky's the limit" type ceiling.

So in 2013 we will have a 4* in Wood as a redshirt senior, a 4* in Shane Dillon (f*ck the star drop) as a sophomore and a 4* as frosh. Holy crap!!! This coaching staff can recruit. I hope Rip and EB stay for a while.

Point of clarification - My major concern is OL recruiting overall. Not just in-state OL recruiting. To illustrate the point, I mentioned 4-5 in-state OL who we whiffed on. In-state guys *should* be easier to recruit under normal circumstances. I'm still concerned about our OL recruiting.

I getya.

Back