What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA DE Michael Mathewes (Signed to Colorado)

Somewhat intrigued. Solid film and pretty decent pass rush technique actually. Obviously the size is there if accurate. I think he could be a solid run stopping DE.

I like this kid's vids. Most were of him lining up at left DE; usually your speed rush DE or OLB lines up on the qb's backside. I'd like to know who the heck that hs team has on the opposite side of this guy.

Mathewes was named to the LA Times All area team. Congratulations to him. Could be a big commit at a position of need. This staffs ability to find talent is great. Eventually we will need to compete with the big boys for recruits, but we need to start improving first and Mac's diamonds will help us get there. The other key is retaining the players that we bring in. Hawkins was not such a bad recruiter on signing day at first but most of the high rated kids did not stay with the program. That was one of bigger reasons his teams did not get better.

Mathewes was named to the LA Times All area team. Congratulations to him. Could be a big commit at a position of need. This staffs ability to find talent is great. Eventually we will need to compete with the big boys for recruits, but we need to start improving first and Mac's diamonds will help us get there. The other key is retaining the players that we bring in. Hawkins was not such a bad recruiter on signing day at first but most of the high rated kids did not stay with the program. That was one of bigger reasons his teams did not get better.
This, IMO, is one of the top 2 reasons for us being this bad. That and coaching, which leads to player development.

Agreed. Looking back at rivals commitment lists it is amazing how many players did not get in or dropped out before helping the program at all. I predict macintyre breaks that trend and we become respectable again in 2 years.

Cue star system vs coaching vs attrition thread..... on another note, congrats to Michael, that is a great list to get on! Very excited to have him in Boulder next season!

Just re-watched his film. Very intrigued, I think he will player early, and at DE (and for his career). CU has been going small at DE and moving anyone with size to DT recently. Solid pick-up imo

Kid plays hard and hits like a truck. Rolls off of blocks and also stunts well. I like the pickup. Can't wait to see him playing!

Love when o and d lineman are part of the wrestling team.

Being a former wrestler and football player and then coach, I can tell you they should go hand in hand. The best larger wrestlers played football and they were better football players after that.

I watched Michael's highlights and he reminds me of Gillam at the DE position. A STEAL!

'14 CA DE Michael Mathewes (Verbal to Colorado)

Far right

a7uqe5y6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a former wrestler and football player and then coach, I can tell you they should go hand in hand. The best larger wrestlers played football and they were better football players after that.

I watched Michael's highlights and he reminds me of Gillam at the DE position. A STEAL!

No better way to condition yourself for football, unfortunately when I wrestled there was no way to do both as the seasons were side by side.

The key is "larger wrestlers". I had buddies in high school who were great wrestlers and also on the football team. It sucked for our football team when our DBs and LBs started getting ready for wrestling season with 1/3 of the football season left by cutting 10-20 lbs.

Signed and Delivered! Welcome Michael!

Looking forward to watching him and Terran wreak some havoc on the line.

I'm not sure people realize what a good player we got with Mathewes. Relentless.

I really think on the Defensive side of the ball we may have killed it in recruiting. Our front 7 looks much better today than it has in a long time.

Adam tweeted about loving his senior film and him being a candidate for top defensive signee.

We had to hold off a few PAC12 schools at the end to get this kid. Definitely in the upper crust of the class.

Back