What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA PF Jack Williams (Verbal to Long Beach St)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

1010529.jpg

Chaminade College Prep (West Hills, CA)

AAU:

Ht: 6-foot-8
Wt: 190 lbs

Rivals rating: NR; unranked PF
Scout rating: 3*; unranked PF
ESPN rating: 2*-67 grade; #64 PF
247s rating: NR

Reported Offers: Colorado, American, Arizona State, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Penn, Rice

As a 6'4" freshman, Williams averaged about 7 points and 5 rebounds. So far as a sophomore, he's putting up about 18 & 15 a night.

ESPN analysis (10/3/11):

Strengths:
Williams has face-up 4-man written all over him at the Division I level. He has a somewhat narrow frame, but he does have long arms and he is quite bouncy. His quick feet (great 1st step) and relentless energy make him a valuable commodity on the offensive end - not too mention he can knock down the 3-point shot as well. His energy level and overall assertiveness make him a tough stop on the offensive end. He pursues loose balls, attacks the glass, and is overall relentless as a player.

Weaknesses:
As mentioned above, Williams is a tad narrow through the shoulders and he'll need to gain strength, but he still has plenty of time to make those improvements. In terms of offensive skill, he needs to continue to strengthen his left hand while finishing in traffic.

Bottom Line:
With added strength and continued skill development, Williams will no longer be an unknown prospect out west. Mid-major programs should start to trickle into his games, but within a year you may see some high-majors get involved.

Scout also did a recent update:

The sophomore has a good-looking right hook, can step out to shoot the three, is a good passer out of the post, plays hard and moves well for his size. Williams will need to get stronger and continue to develop his offensive game, but he has three years before college to do both.

Adam with the story on him.

Playing in the competitive Mission League, Williams is averaging 16.4 points, 15.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 0.9 blocks so far this season. Seniors Zena Edosomwan and Kennedy Edwards are the only other players in the league averaging more than nine rebounds per game.

Yeah, that's pretty good company.

"USC would definitely be a dream school," he said. "I also like Arizona and Baylor. Those would be my top three dream schools."

Ugh.

It's still early as he's only a sophomore. The ESPN write-up mentions that he's a little bit of a sleeper right now who should be getting mid-major offers now with the big schools soon to follow. Normally I'd be nervous, but considering this staff's track record of "unproven" guys, I'm not worried.

Someone please explain the appeal of Baylor to me as a basketball school. I really don't get how they are so successful in recruiting.

Recruit Scoop is reporting that he picked up an offer from Arizona State today.

Adam is reporting that he liked his visit to CU and gives us the "slight advantage" right now.

Only one other sophomore nationally averaged more rebounds per contest than Jack Williams this winter. The 6-foot-8 power forward from West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade averaged 14.9 points, 15.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.0 blocks per game while helping the Eagles to 18 wins.

"Obviously my rebounding is my best attribute as a player but I am pretty versatile," said Williams, who has already received scholarship offers from Colorado, Arizona State and Rice. "I can play on the block or I can hit a 15-footer or even step out and knock down a three-pointer. I also run the floor well and get buckets in transition."

averaging 15.3 in high school is an insane number. Looks like Boyle is really going after the guys who can get to the ball and play defense.

For those nervous about CU not going after any bigs in 2013, it looks like we have our first big time target for 2014. He has a top three of CU, Stanford and Rice right now, but "isn't closing any doors". Hat tip to Adam:

"I talk to [Buffs assistant] coach [Mike] Rohn a lot, coach Tom [Abatemarco] and [head coach] Tad [Boyle]," Williams said. "CU is a school I like a lot because they have had some guys from L.A. go there recently. Spencer Dinwiddie is from the same valley I am from. His old high school is probably five miles from mine and he has done so well there that I just kind of feel like I would be comfortable there.

"Colorado seems like it would be a good spot for me, it seems like it would be a great opportunity. I like the campus and the coaches and I like their gym a lot."

For those nervous about CU not going after any bigs in 2013, it looks like we have our first big time target for 2014. He has a top three of CU, Stanford and Rice right now, but "isn't closing any doors". Hat tip to Adam:

Just get it over with Jack, go ahead and commit early. Judging by the article, CU is the place for you!

I absolutely love big guys that can rebound and shoot!!! Sounds like he'll be a 4* before it's said and done. How can he not be if he averages 20 and 15 this year in a very competitive HS league?

Tad is really on a roll.

So glad, to hear that Tad is really trying to bring a few bigs on board for '14. I think we need to land at least One Center, One PF/Center and another PF. We will be losing a lot of height after the 2013-2014 season, in Tunks 6'11 and Mills 7'0. I know that Mills has been a non-factor and that Tunks is par to sub-par, but we need some legit back ups for Scott. I think that Williams could be a perfect fit to play the back up role to Scott for a year or two then take over the reigns.

Re: '14 CA PF Jack Williams

So glad, to hear that Tad is really trying to bring a few bigs on board for '14. I think we need to land at least One Center, One PF/Center and another PF. We will be losing a lot of height after the 2013-2014 season, in Tunks 6'11 and Mills 7'0. I know that Mills has been a non-factor and that Tunks is par to sub-par, but we need some legit back ups for Scott. I think that Williams could be a perfect fit to play the back up role to Scott for a year or two then take over the reigns.

I would rather have an athletic 6'8" player back up Scott than a stiff who is 7 feet tall.

Averaging over 17 rebounds a game this year (along with 17 ppg).

Rivals article on CU's recruiting of him should be published tonight.

Have to love his rebounding ability. And our chance to land him, would have to be fairly high based on the other schools going after him

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1474149
"Colorado, Stanford, Washington State, Rice and Pepperdine is who I talk to the most often," he said. "Recruiting me hardest is Colorado, Penn and Rice but Stanford is coming on harder than before."
Williams set the schools record for most rebounds in a game with 23 last year…before breaking that record this season with 27 rebounds. On his prolific rebounding numbers, he credited it to effort.

"I just have a knack for the ball," he said. "I want the ball for than other people do."

I like this kid. We need a big, and while he lacks size, he could grow into it. Plus, as Nik pointed out in the Artis recruit thread, kids with baby faces are still developing. They're not the athletic freaks of nature who can dominate on pure talent alone. Most scouting reports on him talk about how relenless he is as well, so he sounds like a kid that will bust his ass.

Williams would be a nice get in that 2014 class. He isn't huge, but I could see him hitting campus around 6'9" 210. He's got a reputation as a strong rebounder and reportedly is a decent athlete with a little face-up game. He's the kind of player Stanford seems to do well with. Bring him in and after a year or two of development, you win with players like that in your rotation.

Seems like he is a third choice behind guys like Pope and Chapman. Then again, I like that Boyle doesn't get stuck in to going after one kind of player.

Back