What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA QB Cade Apsay (Signed to COLORADO)

how is this even possible? What is to stop any rival team's fans from pretending to be CU fans? Oh right, first off, we'd need a rival. But really, how can this be enforced?
It's the NCAA. Since when do they care about this?

FYI, there was a thread a while back, which I can't find, that asked the question if we should recruit 2 QBs for this class. Things of course have changed since then in terms of attrition and new guys and I would definitively say that with Apsay on board I feel no need.

We already have Wood as the undisputed leader for this year (probably in good shape in 2014 too if he plays well this year). Dillon has a ways to go but will probably get there if his shoulder and muscles fully recover. Sefo looks quite promising for future years and without a doubt Apsay does as well (may be the best of the bunch in the end-especially for our offense). Time will tell on that, but adding him plus Gehrke I think makes our long-term QB situation pretty strong.

We have other urgent needs now. Again, welcome Apsay. He seems to be a baller based on his film and reports from most of his camps.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1514752

7.) Cade Apsay, Canyon Sr.

Said to sport one of the strongest arms in California, the 6-foot-2 Canyon football star has a lot of untapped potential. Apsay threw for over 3,000 yards as a junior. He needs to add weight and smooth out his mechanics, which can lead to errant throws at times, but Apsay has the physical gifts to succeed at the collegiate level. Apsay currently has an offer from Arizona on the table, and more recruiting doors should open up as the season progresses.

Gotta love that one of the strongest arms in the state of California is attached to a kid who needs to add 20 lbs or so to his frame. If he gets on a college nutrition and lifting program, he could develop into a great pistol QB. Gotta be able to run as well as throw hard.

FYI, there was a thread a while back, which I can't find, that asked the question if we should recruit 2 QBs for this class. Things of course have changed since then in terms of attrition and new guys and I would definitively say that with Apsay on board I feel no need.

We already have Wood as the undisputed leader for this year (probably in good shape in 2014 too if he plays well this year). Dillon has a ways to go but will probably get there if his shoulder and muscles fully recover. Sefo looks quite promising for future years and without a doubt Apsay does as well (may be the best of the bunch in the end-especially for our offense). Time will tell on that, but adding him plus Gehrke I think makes our long-term QB situation pretty strong.

We have other urgent needs now. Again, welcome Apsay. He seems to be a baller based on his film and reports from most of his camps.

Here's the problem, 4 of the QBs you just named have never taken a single snap at this level. We have numbers, but we don't know yet if we have legit depth. I think we have enough needs all over this roster that we really can't afford to use yet another scholarship on a QB, so we need a couple of these young guys to pan out.

Is Cade a candidate to be an early enrollee? Would that be a good thing, or do we need the spread between QB classes?

Is Cade a candidate to be an early enrollee? Would that be a good thing, or do we need the spread between QB classes?
Don't know if he is. It is always great to QBs in early since they have a steep learning curve. I don't believe early enrolment affects eligibility because they still won't be playing until their class year anyway.

Last edited:
Way back when, we used to do it the conventional way: one QB per class - the best you could find, each year. Around the time Moschetti and Pesavento stepped up, that process kinda died. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like we've either had career QBs or stop-gap QBs since then (sometimes both at once).

I'd prefer to have them put their time in, develop, and step up when they're ready. With that, some continuity can become the norm; of course, the occasional stud will take the job and piss off upper classmen, but oh well. Seems like the new model seems to be set, and it's looking much better than the confusion Buff Nation had become used to over the last decade or so.

Last edited:
Apsay and Gehrke look like they could be twins.

4_939844.jpg
884747m.jpg

Don't know if he is. It is always great to QBs in early since they have a steep learning curve. I don't believe early enrolment affects eligibility because they still won't be playing until their class year anyway.

Early enrollment (meaning a January Start) does not effect eligibility, as football is a Fall sport. A guy starting in January is on the same eligibility clock as a guy enrolling in August. No effect, just extra time in the program, which is always a good thing.

Doesn't work for basketball or any spring sports, as their season is in swing, so the eligibility clock starts immediately.

The eligibility clock for any sport starts when the student first attends school as a full-time student. Full time is 12 credit hours. That is why "greyshirts" either don't take classes or take less than 12 credit hours to delay their eligibility clock from starting to tick.

Once the clock takes it's first tick, you have 5 years to play 4 (unless there is an exception such as a religious mission, armed services, etc).

[video=youtube;K3KR7EGBVfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3KR7EGBVfI[/video]

Nice looking prospect; quick release, good accuracy, good arm strength, enough athleticism to keep the defense honest, and has the stats to back up the skills. One thing that stands out though is that there are barely, if any, plays in which he throws to a secondary receiver or goes through the progressions. The fact that such plays didn't make his highlight reel would probably indicate that it's an area for improvement. Similarly, he has to be able to disguise better, locking onto receivers the way he does in most of these plays will lead to a field day for opposing DB's at the next level.

Nice looking prospect; quick release, good accuracy, good arm strength, enough athleticism to keep the defense honest, and has the stats to back up the skills. One thing that stands out though is that there are barely, if any, plays in which he throws to a secondary receiver or goes through the progressions. The fact that such plays didn't make his highlight reel would probably indicate that it's an area for improvement. Similarly, he has to be able to disguise better, locking onto receivers the way he does in most of these plays will lead to a field day for opposing DB's at the next level.
Since when has any college quarterback not named Andrew Luck done that. Also we aren't running a very complicated offense, so it's still going to be one read and go for all our quarterbacks.

Since when has any college quarterback not named Andrew Luck done that. Also we aren't running a very complicated offense, so it's still going to be one read and go for all our quarterbacks.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I mean, I'm all for a simpler offense, but one read and go doesn't exactly seem like a formula for success.

Anyway, this might be all moot. When I look at that highlight video I seem him making reads. I'm not sure what the complaint is. He's either making reads or not locking onto his man until the last second.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I mean, I'm all for a simpler offense, but one read and go doesn't exactly seem like a formula for success.

Anyway, this might be all moot. When I look at that highlight video I seem him making reads. I'm not sure what the complaint is. He's either making reads or not locking onto his man until the last second.
one shouldn't take JRK as gospel. That would be a very bad religion.

Probably not disappointed to learn he has 1 less person ahead of him. Hope HCMM didn't promise him we wouldn't take a 2nd QB in this class b/c I suspect with Dillon leaving we might.

Back