What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA QB Cade Apsay (Signed to COLORADO)

Final season stats:

64.5% completion, 28 TD's and 6 INT's, 3103 yards. 413 yards rushing (3.76ypc) for 4 TD's

Not sure how much I'm impressed with those stats. They look good but not earth shatteringly good. Anybody know the level of competition he faced?

Only HCMM/Lindgren QBs we've seen in action are Fales & Sefo. Neither were originally recruited by them, but they committed to them after being re-recruited. I have trust. And Aspay looks like he can play.

Good point. Well it looks like Sefo will be able to hold that job for a few more years which will let them develope the next guy!

We're not counting on him to see the field at all until 2016 (redshirt sophomore year), so it will be fun to just watch him develop over the next couple seasons.

We're not counting on him to see the field at all until 2016 (redshirt sophomore year), so it will be fun to just watch him develop over the next couple seasons.
How awesome would this finally be? Between the OLine and QB we've had a hard time giving these positions time in the program.

My first reaction was Great Footwork! He moves well and has great awareness in the pocket. Shows good athleticism. Like to see that the kid isn't always running a bootleg and chucking the ball downfield to a wide open WR.

Like this one a lot!

I'd agree although I wouldn't say the arm strength is a negative. It's just not a huge strength. Love the rest. Don't care about the height. See ASU's QBs.

Wow the footwork, accuracy, and quick decision making look great. Can't have enough Pac level QBs on your roster.

Checks to the 2nd and 3rd receiver very well. Better than I can remember any of our high school recruits doing in a long time. I also like that he looks like he can run. Sefo is a reluctant runner, but with a QB that will keep, it will open up the O a little more. Like the pick up, and I am excited to see him develop.

'14 CA QB Cade Apsay (Verbal to COLORADO)

Checks to the 2nd and 3rd receiver very well. Better than I can remember any of our high school recruits doing in a long time. I also like that he looks like he can run. Sefo is a reluctant runner, but with a QB that will keep, it will open up the O a little more. Like the pick up, and I am excited to see him develop.

Sefo has apparently been playing hurt with a bad wheel all season

As stated above he has excellent footwork and accuracy. In fact that is the best I've seen from a CU QB recruit in a long time. He has a lot of the tangibles you are looking for. He also seems to run the read-option very well. Also, as stated above, the only negative I see is size, but hopefully we won't need him for at least 3-4 years. One other thing I noticed was he seems to push the ball out a lot like Cody H. did. Not sure that is a bad thing, at this point in time, but probably more to do with his size. Overall, based off of those highlights, I think the staff got the QB they covet.

FWIW he got bumped up to a 5.6rr and #25 Pro-Style QB on rivals (previously unranked)

I wouldn't exactly call him under the radar. He hit several camps and was getting looks (not all serious) from several west coast teams.

His release is phenomenal and compensates well for his average arm. Also like the athleticism. He just needs to get a couple years in a college weight program before he can be an every down QB. Excited to watch his development.

I would imagine the staff would like to see Apsay RS, let Sefo play the next three, with Gehrke backing up this coming year and Gehrke and Apsay battling it out for the back up role the year after that. My guess is Wood may have played his last down here, which is too bad.

I would imagine the staff would like to see Apsay RS, let Sefo play the next three, with Gehrke backing up this coming year and Gehrke and Apsay battling it out for the back up role the year after that. My guess is Wood may have played his last down here, which is too bad.

Wood is very likely the backup next season.

I'd imagine the staff wants to get him in here and start to develop him. I wouldn't say anything beyond that in terms of the above. Both Sefo and Apsay (and Gehrke) have a lot of development to do. Excited to watch it all unfold. I suspect we could end up with very good QBs in a few years.

Wood is very likely the backup next season.

Connor is a serious student. I spoke with a friend of the family 2 weeks ago and it certainly sounds like plans to stick around to finish his degree.

From his CU bio:

ACADEMICS—He is majoring in Business (Finance) at Colorado. He earned first-team Pac-12 All-Academic Team honors as a sophomore (with a 3.55 grade point average). At Texas, he was a two-time member of the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll, and in high school, he was on the Honor Roll his freshman through senior years.

Sefo and Wood are very good friends and I have heard that Wood likes Boulder and CU a lot. He could easily transfer to a lower division school and finish up his career as a starter but it wouldn't shock me if he decides to stick around as the back-up. Dorman's decision may have had something to do with this happening because with Wood coming back he had to know that he wasn't even going to have much of a shot a competing for the back-up job.

Either way I don't expect to see Apsay taking a snap for the Buffs for at least a couple of years which is how it should be unless you manage to recruit a QB who is a phenom. He will be able to come in and take his RS year with no pressure then spend a year or two competing as a back-up hopefully moving into the second spot and getting some time before he is in position to have the starting job for his own for his last couple years.

I wasn't knocking Wood, it's just once you have gotten the hook, you rarely get the job back at QB (unless you are named Cody). The coaches saw something that made them want to switch. I think Wood has been a great help to the team and I hope he stays around to finish his degree. I was just speculating the staff may be looking to develop the younger guys. Maybe Wood will be the backup next year.

Sefo and Wood are very good friends and I have heard that Wood likes Boulder and CU a lot. He could easily transfer to a lower division school and finish up his career as a starter but it wouldn't shock me if he decides to stick around as the back-up. Dorman's decision may have had something to do with this happening because with Wood coming back he had to know that he wasn't even going to have much of a shot a competing for the back-up job.

Either way I don't expect to see Apsay taking a snap for the Buffs for at least a couple of years which is how it should be unless you manage to recruit a QB who is a phenom. He will be able to come in and take his RS year with no pressure then spend a year or two competing as a back-up hopefully moving into the second spot and getting some time before he is in position to have the starting job for his own for his last couple years.

Heisman winner Johnny Football (TM) and Heisman front runner Jameis Winston are both "phenoms" and both are red-shirts.

Its a shame Sefo didn't get the opportunity to RS this year. Apsay should have that chance, thank goodness and the Buffs will be better for it!

Heisman winner Johnny Football (TM) and Heisman front runner Jameis Winston are both "phenoms" and both are red-shirts.

Its a shame Sefo didn't get the opportunity to RS this year. Apsay should have that chance, thank goodness and the Buffs will be better for it!

You will notice that I said a couple of years. I would like to see us getting into a cycle of giving our QBs a RS year followed by competing for the back-up job and getting some playing time for a year or two followed by starting for a couple years while we develop the next guy(s) in line.

There are a few true freshman QBs who have been mildly successfull. Guys like Terrell Pryor, RG3, Tebow, and some guy named Peyton Manning all did well as true Fr. QBs. The most successful of all time may have been Jamell Holloway who led the Sooners to a NC as a fr. but that was in a different era when he was more of a RB who pitched the ball and occasionally threw than a modern passing QB.

We definately aren't getting this level of talents but I look forward to seeing what our guys can do with some development.

I wasn't knocking Wood, it's just once you have gotten the hook, you rarely get the job back at QB (unless you are named Cody). The coaches saw something that made them want to switch. I think Wood has been a great help to the team and I hope he stays around to finish his degree. I was just speculating the staff may be looking to develop the younger guys. Maybe Wood will be the backup next year.

I think the coaches would love to have Wood in the backup role. He is the only QB with major college experience aside from Sefo. That is invaluable both in-game and in the meeting rooms. With four QBs on the roster going into next season (assuming Wood stays), we finally have a balanced depth chart there. It also allows Apsay to comfortably redshirt. The difference between three QBs and four QBs is huge in this instance.

Back